    64 bit version to license a 32 bit version? Can I download a 32 bit version
    somewhere? Or am I basically out a couple of hundred bucks on a useless
    operating system?

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Hi, Don.

    OEM? Those are subject to much different licensing rules that the retail
    packages. With a retail package, you get a single Product Key and two
    disks. Use either disk and activate it with that product key. Later, if
    you wish, you can uninstall x64 and install x86, for example. But OEM
    doesn't work that way. You probably are just stuck with it, unless your
    vendor will work with you to take back the x64 (and mobo?) and install the
    x86.

    Or, if you list the driver-less hardware here, someone may be able to point
    you to sources for the correct drivers. Then you might become comfortable
    with keeping x64. I'm quite happy with Vista Ultimate x64 now, after
    several problems with drivers and applications in the early beta builds.
    Time should be on our side as more drivers and applications become available
    for both Vista and 64-bit WinXP.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Apr 12, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you can get your system builder to contact Microsoft, several have
    reported that Microsoft has been cooperative in resolving this issue with an
    exchange.

    John Barnes, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Thanks for the info. That's what I thought the answer would be - I basically
    donated $200 to MS for a piece of software that is not fully functional. The
    64 bit version is advertised as being able to run 32 bit software - it can
    not do this completly. Sure, I didn't do all of my homework but I should be
    able to exchange what I purchased for the correct version.

    Do you know if MS has a department that I could contact to resolve this kind
    of issue? Is there a address that I could send the DVD to and exchange it
    for the 32 bit version?

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Apr 12, 2007
  5. I am my system builder. I purchased the MB, CPU and OS at a local computer
    show and ripped apart my old computer to build the new one. I should have
    been eligable for an "Upgrade version" but I have had trouble in the past
    trying to use an upgrade CD/license when replacing a MB/CPU - thats why I
    bought the full version. I already have a retail version of Vista HP upgrade
    that I used on a laptop. It seems to me that I should be able to us that DVD
    (it contains the 32 bit software) and then get MS to exchange the 64 bit
    license key for a 32 bit key. I believe that I have fairly paid MS for the
    software.

    If I do end up purchasing a 32 bit version, is there a way that I can
    "deactivate" the 64 bit version so that I could be legally installed on
    another machine?

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Apr 12, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The outlet you purchased it from would probably have no more problem
    resolving this exchange than the direct system builders have had. If they
    are too lazy or uninterested in helping you, you can try contacting the
    Microsoft refund desk directly. Microsoft does bend over backwards to
    cooperate with those who are playing by the rules.

    John Barnes, Apr 12, 2007
  7. > Thanks for the info. That's what I thought the answer would be - I
    > basically
    > donated $200 to MS for a piece of software that is not fully functional.

    I was not aware that the lack of 64-bit drivers makes an OS "not fully
    functional".

    Homer J. Simpson, Apr 12, 2007
  8. I purchased a 64 bit processor, a 64 bit MB (that said it worked with Vista),
    and a 64 bit OS. Sound doesn't work off of MB and LAN had serious issues.
    This was before I tried to install a MS webcam (a Microsoft Product) and MS
    Live OneCare. The OS would not let me install either of these. (After lots
    of digging around

    I would call that not fully functional. Maybe I'm being harsh on blaming
    the OS, but as a complete package things did not work. These were all MS
    products (Webcam and LiveCare) or products that had a logo (MB) saying they
    worked with Vista. The problems just seemed to get worse from there.

    I realize that I made a mistake purchasing the 64 bit OS. When I saw that
    MS advertised that Vista 64 worked with 32 bit software, I just grabbed it.
    I'm now just looking for a way to "exchange" the 64 bit version for the 32
    bit version.

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Apr 12, 2007
  9. Before anyone gets going with the personal attacks, let me start off by
    saying I hate Vista with a passion, and I'm the last person who would defend
    this turd for what it is. I think Vista is to XP what ME was to 98SE. Now,
    with that out of the way, lets get going...

    > Sound doesn't work off of MB

    Driver.

    > and LAN had serious issues.

    Define "serious issues". The fact that so many people are running it and it
    "just works" sounds to me like the problem doesn't necessarily lie within
    Vista's network stack.

    > This was before I tried to install a MS webcam (a Microsoft Product)

    Driver. The fact that the webcam is also from Microsoft is irrelevant; the
    question to ask is, does it have proper Vista drivers? I'm pretty sure I
    must have some Microsoft hardware sitting in a box somewhere too that isn't
    Vista compatible if I tried to use it. Is that Vista's fault?

    > and MS Live OneCare. The OS would not let me install either of these.

    Live OneCare has abysmal ratings, so I've personally never looked into it
    but again, the question is, does OneCare claim to have full 64-bit Vista
    compatibility? I'll bet parts of it will eventually be rewritten to add
    Vista compatibility, rather than having parts of Vista rewritten to
    accomodate it. In other words, again, that's hardly the OS's fault.

    I know exactly what argument you'll be bringing up next. However, you have
    to realize that Microsoft is not one massive entity where all departments
    are all up to speed with each other (despite what they want everybody to
    believe) and their schedules all line up. The OneCare group won't dictate
    to the Windows division what it can or cannot do, nor was it ever in a
    position to hold back Vista's release. OneCare is not a component of
    Windows; it's a completely separate product just like any third-party
    software, and I don't think waiting for OneCare to catch up is any more
    cause for screaming bloody murder than waiting for any third-party
    software/hardware maker to get off their asses. Vista has RTMed. It's not
    gonna get rewritten to accomodate add-ons, even from groups that exist
    within Microsoft.

    > I would call that not fully functional. Maybe I'm being harsh on blaming
    > the OS,

    That's the essence of my rant. People need to put the blame where it
    belongs. I've yet to hear a convincing argument that things would be
    significantly different had Vista been held back a few more months.

    > or products that had a logo (MB) saying they worked with Vista.

    Can you get the OS installed? Sounds like you can.

    Does every single last feature work as in previous Windows versions?
    Probably not.

    Are you surprised? I wouldn't be.

    Does that prevent the OEM from slapping on a logo? That's a whole other
    debate--I personally don't pay attention to any OEM's compatibility claims.
    If I was to commit to a new OS that has been known for years now as having
    its driver model being completely rewritten, you can bet the first thing I'd
    be looking to do is my own research and verify that the drivers exist for
    all the hardware I'd be hooking up to that machine, and all my important
    software had an update (if needed) that at least guaranteed the makers were
    committed to adding Vista compatibility. People have to stop looking at
    buying software--especially an OS--like they buy a toaster.

    > I realize that I made a mistake purchasing the 64 bit OS. When I saw that
    > MS advertised that Vista 64 worked with 32 bit software, I just grabbed
    > it.

    Again, you always have to take that sort of claim with a large grain of
    salt. A lot of it works fine. Was *all* of your old DOS or Windows 3.1
    software 100% compatible with 95 (or, for a more fair comparison, NT)?

    > I'm now just looking for a way to "exchange" the 64 bit version for the 32
    > bit version.

    I've taken the 64-bit plunge when XP x64 came out. I'm never going back.
    I'll be skipping Vista and going straight to the next OS whenever it comes
    out (assuming it doesn't suck as much as Vista), but not because of the 32-
    vs 64-bit debacle (and I *will* only be looking at the 64-bit version).
    Personally I thought the migration from a 32- to a 64-bit OS was *way*
    smoother than going from 16- to 32-bits.

    Homer J. Simpson, Apr 14, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

    Theo Guest

    I second that emotion!

    I was an early adopter of XP and the primary feature I
    wanted was NTFS.

    But I am not at all impressed with Vista and will be as far
    back to the end of the line as I can get when it becomes
    necessary to move to Vista!

    Theo, Apr 14, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

    DP Guest

    "Theo" <> wrote in message

    > But I am not at all impressed with Vista and will be as far back to the
    > end of the line as I can get when it becomes necessary to move to Vista!

    Just curious: That assessment is based on what? Personal experience with
    Vista, or just complaints you've heard?

    DP, Apr 15, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

    Theo Guest

    Personal experience.

    Theo, Apr 15, 2007
  13. > Personal experience.

    Same here. I'm not letting that disaster of an OS anywhere near any of my
    systems.

    Homer J. Simpson, Apr 15, 2007
  14. Do not do an upgrade when going from 64bit Vista to 32bit Vista (from XP Pro
    x64 to Vista x86). I have done this and the result is not good. 32bit
    Vista does not know what the Programs and Programs x86 folders are all about
    and you will get a confused mess that the computer can understand but you,
    the user, has no way to sort out. I suggest that you use Windows Easy
    Transfer to capture your data files and then do a fresh installation of
    Vista x86. Fresh as in reformat the drive first. This means that you will
    need to purchase either an OEM x86 edition or a retail full edition. You
    cannot use an x86 upgrade edition to do such a fresh installation.

    Do not attempt the switch with an upgrade edition of Vista x86. I repeat,
    do not do it. I have done this x64 to x86 upgrade several times to verify
    the issues and you do not want to do it. It is a scenario that MS
    apparently missed and made no provision for.

    Did I mention don't do this kind of upgrade?

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 19, 2007