    front of the game system for that to plug into. If so, would that be all I
    would have to buy? Thanks to anyone that can help!!

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Mfatoldsun

    Night_Seer Guest

    Mfatoldsun wrote:
    > I have DSL, and have been playing my Sony Playstation 2 on dial up,
    > and i`m tired of it. I bought a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router.
    > The back of the Playstation there is a DSL port next to the phone
    > jack on the modem. Would the Linksys WUSB11 work for my Playstation
    > 2? There are 2 USB ports in the front of the game system for that to
    > plug into. If so, would that be all I would have to buy? Thanks to
    > anyone that can help!!
    >

    > ...mfat

    Yes you can use a router to get on the internet. You might look around
    for do-it-yourself article on networking using a router, or try it
    yourself, and ask questions here, I have set it up exactly like this at
    my house. The only thing I don't understand about your question is the
    USB ports. There is nothing you plug into them to get the PS2 online,
    those are only for peripherals.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    <<The only thing I don't understand about your question is the
    > USB ports. There is nothing you plug into them to get the PS2 online,>>

    Oh! ...I was looking at the Linksys Wireless USB network adapter WUSB11. How
    is your PS2 set up? What did you plug into the DSL port on the back of the
    Playstation? And would you use the Linksys start-up disc in the PS2? How
    does that work? Thanks so much for the help. ...I`m fairly new at this DSL
    stuff!

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Mfatoldsun

    Night_Seer Guest

    Mfatoldsun wrote:
    > <<The only thing I don't understand about your question is the
    >> USB ports. There is nothing you plug into them to get the PS2
    >> online,>>

    > Oh! ...I was looking at the Linksys Wireless USB network adapter
    > WUSB11. How is your PS2 set up? What did you plug into the DSL port
    > on the back of the Playstation? And would you use the Linksys
    > start-up disc in the PS2? How does that work? Thanks so much for the
    > help. ...I`m fairly new at this DSL stuff!
    >

    > ...mfat
    >

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Mfatoldsun wrote:
    >>> I have DSL, and have been playing my Sony Playstation 2 on dial up,
    >>> and i`m tired of it. I bought a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router.
    >>> The back of the Playstation there is a DSL port next to the phone
    >>> jack on the modem. Would the Linksys WUSB11 work for my Playstation
    >>> 2? There are 2 USB ports in the front of the game system for that to
    >>> plug into. If so, would that be all I would have to buy? Thanks to
    >>> anyone that can help!!
    >>>

    >>> ...mfat

    >> Yes you can use a router to get on the internet. You might look
    >> around for do-it-yourself article on networking using a router, or
    >> try it yourself, and ask questions here, I have set it up exactly
    >> like this at my house. The only thing I don't understand about your
    >> question is the USB ports. There is nothing you plug into them to
    >> get the PS2 online, those are only for peripherals.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer

    Ah I see, if you want the PS2 to work wirelessly you will need a special
    ethernet to wireless bridge. Your best bet (and it won't cost you
    anything but cable) is to hook it directly (wired) to the router. I
    don't know if location doesn't allow this. The only thing you'll need
    is to buy some CAT 5 or Cat 5e cable and plug one end into your PS2 (the
    ethernet one, not the phone jack...it won't even fit), and plug the
    other end into an open port on the router. Now using the network setup
    disk, you will need to input all your ISP info similar to your computer
    set up. Did you set up the wireless router yourself? If so, it
    shouldn't be more difficult than it was with your PC...or whoever set it
    up for you, ask them to do the PS2 as well, using the network disk.

    If your really set on running your PS2 wirelessly, then you'll need
    something like this, and it isn't that cheap:

    http://www.101investing.com/products/ASINB000088NO6.php

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    <<then you'll need
    > something like this, and it isn't that cheap:
    >
    > http://www.101investing.com/products/ASINB000088NO6.php>>

    That sounds great, but is there a Linksys product I could use for the PS2?
    Also would I use the Linksys start-up disc inside the PS2? Would the
    internet configuration be stored on the memory card from the settings on the
    Linksys disc?
    The router isn`t installed yet. Still in the box, as I need to buy a PC
    wireless card (WPC11) for my notebook. I thought I could go wireless with a
    Linksys adapter for the PS2. I could start with the long cable as you
    stated, and hard-wire it into the router, but i`m set on wireless.

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Jan 21, 2004
  6. Mfatoldsun

    Swift Guest

    You also have the option of taking the wireless router back and getting
    one (either a linksys or a dlink) that will do both wired /and/
    wireless. It's a little more, but it's worth the investment, especially
    if you have nothing keeping you from cabling from the PS2 to the router.

    Swift

    Swift, Jan 21, 2004
  7. I connected my son's PS2 to our wired Linksys router using cat 5. Setup with the
    supplied PS2 "online" cd was painless and took approx 5 mins, mostly due to
    having to figure out how to use the PS2 gamepad to input keyboard data. You
    won't need the Linksys cd for the PS2. The PS2 wouldn't know what to do with it.

    Now as for wireless try this unit. It looks to be exactly what you are looking
    for http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=550

    Regards,

    Steve

    Stephen Tomchuk, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    <<with the
    > supplied PS2 "online" cd was painless and took approx 5 mins>>

    Oh, ok, the CD that came with the PS2 Modem, ok I understand. .....The
    Linksys router I have is not only wireless, but can be hard wired as well.
    Question.... Basically can I have a few things wireless with this router, as
    well as just hard wiring up the PS2 at the same time? Thanks again!

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Jan 21, 2004
  9. Mfatoldsun

    Night_Seer Guest

    Mfatoldsun wrote:
    > <<then you'll need
    >> something like this, and it isn't that cheap:
    >>
    >> http://www.101investing.com/products/ASINB000088NO6.php>>

    > That sounds great, but is there a Linksys product I could use for the
    > PS2? Also would I use the Linksys start-up disc inside the PS2? Would
    > the internet configuration be stored on the memory card from the
    > settings on the Linksys disc?
    > The router isn`t installed yet. Still in the box, as I need to buy a
    > PC wireless card (WPC11) for my notebook. I thought I could go
    > wireless with a Linksys adapter for the PS2. I could start with the
    > long cable as you stated, and hard-wire it into the router, but i`m
    > set on wireless.
    >

    > ...mfat
    >

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Mfatoldsun wrote:
    >>> <<The only thing I don't understand about your question is the
    >>>
    >>> Oh! ...I was looking at the Linksys Wireless USB network adapter
    >>> WUSB11. How is your PS2 set up? What did you plug into the DSL port
    >>> on the back of the Playstation? And would you use the Linksys
    >>> start-up disc in the PS2? How does that work? Thanks so much for the
    >>> help. ...I`m fairly new at this DSL stuff!
    >>>

    >>> ...mfat
    >>>

    >>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >> Ah I see, if you want the PS2 to work wirelessly you will need a
    >> special ethernet to wireless bridge. Your best bet (and it won't
    >> cost you anything but cable) is to hook it directly (wired) to the
    >> router. I don't know if location doesn't allow this. The only
    >> thing you'll need is to buy some CAT 5 or Cat 5e cable and plug one
    >> end into your PS2 (the ethernet one, not the phone jack...it won't
    >> even fit), and plug the other end into an open port on the router.
    >> Now using the network setup disk, you will need to input all your
    >> ISP info similar to your computer set up. Did you set up the
    >> wireless router yourself? If so, it shouldn't be more difficult
    >> than it was with your PC...or whoever set it up for you, ask them to
    >> do the PS2 as well, using the network disk.
    >>
    >> If your really set on running your PS2 wirelessly, then you'll need
    >> something like this, and it isn't that cheap:
    >>
    >> http://www.101investing.com/products/ASINB000088NO6.php
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer

    Here you go...typed in Linksys Wireless bridge into google and got this

    http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=432

    That's all you need, and no you wouldn't put the link sys disk in the
    PS2, you'll have to do it manually, there are plenty of places on the
    net that show you how to do this, just use google. A good place to
    start would be here:

    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/

    and go from there...if you hit any snags, ask on here.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004
  10. Mfatoldsun

    Night_Seer Guest

    Mfatoldsun wrote:
    > <<with the
    >> supplied PS2 "online" cd was painless and took approx 5 mins>>

    > Oh, ok, the CD that came with the PS2 Modem, ok I understand. .....The
    > Linksys router I have is not only wireless, but can be hard wired as
    > well. Question.... Basically can I have a few things wireless with
    > this router, as well as just hard wiring up the PS2 at the same time?
    > Thanks again!
    >

    > ...mfat
    >

    > "Stephen Tomchuk" <> wrote in message
    >> I connected my son's PS2 to our wired Linksys router using cat 5.
    >> Setup with the supplied PS2 "online" cd was painless and took approx
    >> 5 mins, mostly due to having to figure out how to use the PS2
    >> gamepad to input keyboard data. You won't need the Linksys cd for
    >> the PS2. The PS2 wouldn't know what to do with it.
    >>
    >> Now as for wireless try this unit. It looks to be exactly what you
    >> are looking for
    >> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=550
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> Mfatoldsun wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have DSL, and have been playing my Sony Playstation 2 on dial up,
    >>> and i`m tired of it. I bought a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband
    >>> Router. The back of the Playstation there is a DSL port next to the
    >>> phone jack on the modem. Would the Linksys WUSB11 work for my
    >>> Playstation 2? There are 2 USB ports in the front of the game
    >>> system for that to plug into. If so, would that be all I would have
    >>> to buy? Thanks to anyone that can help!!
    >>>
    >>> ...mfat

    Yeah that looks like exactly what you need, and yes, you can have both
    wired and wireless stuff on the same router.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004
  11. Mfatoldsun

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mfatoldsun" <> wrote in

    > Oh, ok, the CD that came with the PS2 Modem, ok I understand. .....The
    > Linksys router I have is not only wireless, but can be hard wired as
    > well. Question.... Basically can I have a few things wireless with
    > this router, as well as just hard wiring up the PS2 at the same time?
    > Thanks again!

    Yes. In my home right now I've got about 10 things that are wired and a
    wireless laptop, all simultaneously.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  12. Mfatoldsun

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Mfatoldsun" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Oh, ok, the CD that came with the PS2 Modem, ok I understand.
    >> .....The Linksys router I have is not only wireless, but can be hard
    >> wired as well. Question.... Basically can I have a few things
    >> wireless with this router, as well as just hard wiring up the PS2 at
    >> the same time? Thanks again!

    > Yes. In my home right now I've got about 10 things that are wired
    > and a wireless laptop, all simultaneously.

    10 things? wow that's a lot of stuff.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004
  13. Mfatoldsun

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    > 10 things? wow that's a lot of stuff.

    Two always on machines doing file serving, in house email (also downloads
    from everyone's POP3 accounts to a local IMAP account), tests out stuff for
    web designs, etc, compiles programs like Mozilla Firebird and Lame MP3
    encoder, etc.
    2 heavily used desktops
    1 lightly used linux box
    1 wireless laptop
    1 wireless access point

    This does not include the random junk I've got sitting around like the P2
    350 I have sitting under a desk trying to set it up to do some Squid
    proxy/caching or other various network stuff I'm working on right now. I
    like junk :)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004
  14. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    I installed my router with no problems, then I hard-wired it to my PS2. The
    modem start-up disc was a sinch. I am now broadband with PS2! Thanks for all
    the help. Now a problem occured when tring to install my DSL to my
    laptop........I am trying to install my PC card to my laptop (DSL card) and
    I can`t find a driver for it (SYSGEAR Technology LAN GEAR 10Mb/s) The
    connection wizard went online to find a current driver for it, but had no
    luck. I guess Windows 98 SE doesn`t support this card. Were can I download a
    driver to make this LAN card work? ....Then I can plug in my Ethernet cable
    and be broadband.
    Thanks alot. All I need now is the headset for PS2, and a few online games!
    .....thanks again!

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Jan 22, 2004
  15. Mfatoldsun

    Night_Seer Guest

    Mfatoldsun wrote:
    > I installed my router with no problems, then I hard-wired it to my
    > PS2. The modem start-up disc was a sinch. I am now broadband with
    > PS2! Thanks for all the help. Now a problem occured when tring to
    > install my DSL to my laptop........I am trying to install my PC card
    > to my laptop (DSL card) and I can`t find a driver for it (SYSGEAR
    > Technology LAN GEAR 10Mb/s) The connection wizard went online to find
    > a current driver for it, but had no luck. I guess Windows 98 SE
    > doesn`t support this card. Were can I download a driver to make this
    > LAN card work? ....Then I can plug in my Ethernet cable and be
    > broadband. Thanks alot. All I need now is the headset for PS2, and a
    > few online games! ....thanks again!
    >

    > ...mfat
    >

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Mfatoldsun wrote:
    >>> I have DSL, and have been playing my Sony Playstation 2 on dial up,
    >>> and i`m tired of it. I bought a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router.
    >>> The back of the Playstation there is a DSL port next to the phone
    >>> jack on the modem. Would the Linksys WUSB11 work for my Playstation
    >>> 2? There are 2 USB ports in the front of the game system for that to
    >>> plug into. If so, would that be all I would have to buy? Thanks to
    >>> anyone that can help!!
    >>>

    >>> ...mfat

    >> Yes you can use a router to get on the internet. You might look
    >> around for do-it-yourself article on networking using a router, or
    >> try it yourself, and ask questions here, I have set it up exactly
    >> like this at my house. The only thing I don't understand about your
    >> question is the USB ports. There is nothing you plug into them to
    >> get the PS2 online, those are only for peripherals.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer

    The PC card didn't come with a driver? Well you could always go to the
    manufacturers website and download the latest drivers. If you can't
    download them from somewhere else, then your gonna need to call customer
    service and see if they can send you a CD or something.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 22, 2004