    cowboyz Guest

    google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    pictures over New Zealand?
    cowboyz, Nov 13, 2005

  2. cowboyz

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    news:dl85ro$vlm$...
    > google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    > pictures over New Zealand?

    nasa has one i think?
    Krazy Bob, Nov 13, 2005

  3. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    >> pictures over New Zealand?

    > nasa has one i think?

    any idea what it is called? cant find it on their website. They have
    plenty of pics of space and stuff.

    The idea of google earth is great. If you search an american or European
    town you can get really clear images. NZ images suck though.
    cowboyz, Nov 13, 2005
  4. cowboyz

    Mark C Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in

    > google earth is not bad but is there another option that has
    > clearer pictures over New Zealand?

    Don't know if it's clearer...
    http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index.html
    Mark C, Nov 13, 2005
  5. cowboyz

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:58:34 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    >pictures over New Zealand?

    Try this one

    http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
    XP, Nov 13, 2005
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in
    >
    >> google earth is not bad but is there another option that has
    >> clearer pictures over New Zealand?

    > Don't know if it's clearer...
    > http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index.html

    thanks heaps. downloading it now.

    cheers
    cowboyz, Nov 13, 2005
  7. cowboyz

    PC Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in
    >
    >> google earth is not bad but is there another option that has
    >> clearer pictures over New Zealand?

    > Don't know if it's clearer...
    > http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index.html

    It's not.

    Google Earth is supposed to be improving all the time (Silicon Chip last
    month) but it still varies a lot.
    A good example is 'Picton' (the Ferry terminal town, top of South Island)
    My Daughter in laws home is quite clear, other parts right next door are
    not.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Nov 13, 2005
  8. Hi there,

    PC wrote:
    > "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"cowboyz" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>google earth is not bad but is there another option that has
    >>>clearer pictures over New Zealand?

    >>Don't know if it's clearer...
    >>http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index.html

    > It's not.
    >
    > Google Earth is supposed to be improving all the time (Silicon Chip last
    > month) but it still varies a lot.
    > A good example is 'Picton' (the Ferry terminal town, top of South Island)
    > My Daughter in laws home is quite clear, other parts right next door are
    > not.

    I would imagine Google Earth uses the same texture data as the web-based
    Google Maps, as a few parts of Auckland and parts of Marlborough are the
    only places in NZ that are sat-photo'd in a good enough resolution to
    see individual houses...

    Guess the satellite owners find Waihopai interesting enough to take high
    res photos, but beats me why AKL gets some interest too... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 14, 2005
  9. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > PC wrote:
    >> "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> "cowboyz" <> wrote in

    >>> Don't know if it's clearer...
    >>> http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index.html

    >> It's not.
    >>
    >> Google Earth is supposed to be improving all the time (Silicon Chip
    >> last month) but it still varies a lot.
    >> A good example is 'Picton' (the Ferry terminal town, top of South
    >> Island) My Daughter in laws home is quite clear, other parts right
    >> next door are not.

    > I would imagine Google Earth uses the same texture data as the
    > web-based Google Maps, as a few parts of Auckland and parts of
    > Marlborough are the only places in NZ that are sat-photo'd in a good
    > enough resolution to see individual houses...
    >
    > Guess the satellite owners find Waihopai interesting enough to take
    > high res photos, but beats me why AKL gets some interest too... :)

    yeah. world wind is not any clearer. Lots more info on it reguarding
    smaller towns though. Would like some more detail in the photos over NZ.
    In other countries you can see the paint on the roads which is awesome.
    cowboyz, Nov 14, 2005
  10. cowboyz

    PC Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> PC wrote:
    >>> "Mark C" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's not.
    >>>
    >>> Google Earth is supposed to be improving all the time (Silicon Chip
    >>> last month) but it still varies a lot.
    >>> A good example is 'Picton' (the Ferry terminal town, top of South
    >>> Island) My Daughter in laws home is quite clear, other parts right
    >>> next door are not.

    >> I would imagine Google Earth uses the same texture data as the
    >> web-based Google Maps, as a few parts of Auckland and parts of
    >> Marlborough are the only places in NZ that are sat-photo'd in a good
    >> enough resolution to see individual houses...
    >>
    >> Guess the satellite owners find Waihopai interesting enough to take
    >> high res photos, but beats me why AKL gets some interest too... :)

    > yeah. world wind is not any clearer. Lots more info on it reguarding
    > smaller towns though. Would like some more detail in the photos over NZ.
    > In other countries you can see the paint on the roads which is awesome.

    or waves on the ocean, that would be 'Oarsome'
    (groan)

    Paul.
    PC, Nov 14, 2005
  11. cowboyz

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >>> google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    >>> pictures over New Zealand?

    >> nasa has one i think?

    > any idea what it is called? cant find it on their website. They have
    > plenty of pics of space and stuff.

    maybe im thinking of its webcam's, i dunno. Im pretty sure i had it tho! as
    well as google earth, and after downloading the add-on for google earth to
    see nz, i was pretty disappointed so deleted both...

    Krazy Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  12. cowboyz

    WhoMe Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >
    >>"cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    >>>pictures over New Zealand?

    >>nasa has one i think?

    > any idea what it is called? cant find it on their website. They have
    > plenty of pics of space and stuff.
    >
    > The idea of google earth is great. If you search an american or European
    > town you can get really clear images. NZ images suck though.

    its called World Wind

    Who Me
    WhoMe, Nov 14, 2005
  13. cowboyz

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "WhoMe" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>"cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    >>>nasa has one i think?

    >> any idea what it is called? cant find it on their website. They have
    >> plenty of pics of space and stuff.
    >>
    >> The idea of google earth is great. If you search an american or
    >> European town you can get really clear images. NZ images suck though.
    >>

    > its called World Wind
    >
    > Who Me,

    yes thats is.. thanks mate.

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  14. cowboyz wrote:
    > google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    > pictures over New Zealand?

    Nasa do one NASA Winds or something but they use the same image set as Google
    so the short answer is there are no really good images of NZ via these sources.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Collector»NZ, Nov 14, 2005
  15. On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:10:38 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    Hi Cowboyz i had a play with world wind (over a dial up account no less)
    and found something that will help
    Go to
    http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/User:Nosilleg
    and get OneEarth it is a xml script tha will download better maps
    (if you like i can email you the script as its not huge but it is
    interestng reading and the guy is from NZ so i guess he wanted better pics.

    > yeah. world wind is not any clearer. Lots more info on it reguarding
    > smaller towns though. Would like some more detail in the photos over NZ.
    > In other countries you can see the paint on the roads which is awesome.

    --
    Baldrick: I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an
    ostrich 'cause he was hungry.
    Robin Halligan, Nov 14, 2005
  16. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:10:38 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > Hi Cowboyz i had a play with world wind (over a dial up account no
    > less) and found something that will help
    > Go to
    > http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/User:Nosilleg
    > and get OneEarth it is a xml script tha will download better maps
    > (if you like i can email you the script as its not huge but it is
    > interestng reading and the guy is from NZ so i guess he wanted better
    > pics.

    good try but doesnt seem to be much better. Maybe we should invite a few
    terriosts here and we might get better satelite photos taken.
    cowboyz, Nov 14, 2005
  17. cowboyz

    N.Oway Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    > pictures over New Zealand?

    It's not total coverage and some are greyscale and/or rather old

    The LINZ website

    http://tinyurl.com/tinp
    N.Oway, Nov 14, 2005
  18. cowboyz

    Ripping Silk Guest

    N.Oway wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    >> pictures over New Zealand?

    > It's not total coverage and some are greyscale and/or rather old
    >
    > The LINZ website
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/tinp

    thats what i use the LINZ site.
    I make a habit of going in and collecting the high res tiffs and save
    them locally. I now have about half of NZ saved at home.
    Using these images its quite easy to insert them into google earth as
    overlays.
    Ripping Silk, Nov 14, 2005
  19. cowboyz

    rupert Guest

    try getting some of the overlays from http://www.googleearthhacks.com

    rupert, Nov 14, 2005
  20. cowboyz

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:58:34 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > google earth is not bad but is there another option that has clearer
    > pictures over New Zealand?

    Try your local council's website.
    The Taranaki Regional Council has clearer pics than Google.

    http://www.trc.govt.nz/xplorer/xplorer.htm
    Murray Symon, Nov 15, 2005