Godfather Movies: To Be Sold Separately.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Paramount will soon be selling _The Godfather_ as a separate disk, with
    _The Godfather: Part II_ and _The Godfather: Part III_ likely to follow
    suit. No word on whether or not the extras disk will available
    separately.

    While they're at it, Paramount should consider selling _Raiders of the
    Lost Arc_ as a separate disk.

    If Universal would break up the _Back to the Future_ set, I would buy
    the first episode.

    *** *** ***

    NOV. 7 | Paramount Home Entertainment will release a single-disc, movie
    only DVD of The Godfather on May 11. The DVD will be priced at $24.99.
    The studio noted the release to retailers in a mailer sent this week.

    The movie has only been available on DVD in the five-disc Godfather DVD
    Collection, first released in October 2001 and priced at about $80 at
    retail. A studio spokesman said the move was made to give consumers who
    don't want to purchase the whole collection a choice.

    Single-disc releases of Godfather 2 and Godfather 3 are expected to
    follow. The DVD collection has been one of Paramount's top sellers.

    Also due in the first half of the year is a special edition of The Ten
    Commandments, which was previously released on DVD without extras.

    *** *** ***

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=6490&catType=NEWS
    Scot Gardner, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Scot Gardner

    BubbCoop Guest

    <If Universal would break up the _Back to the Future_ set, I would buy
    the first episode.>

    why? 3 movies for $25 when they came out...why would you want to spend $15 or
    $20 for just one of them?
    BubbCoop, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Scot Gardner

    Justin Guest

    BubbCoop wrote on [09 Nov 2003 18:47:03 GMT]:
    ><If Universal would break up the _Back to the Future_ set, I would buy
    > the first episode.>
    >
    > why? 3 movies for $25 when they came out...why would you want to spend $15 or
    > $20 for just one of them?

    Let's see, $15-20 for one movie you will watch, or $25-$30 for three
    movies, and only one you will watch....
    Justin, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "BubbCoop" <> wrote in message
    > <If Universal would break up the _Back to the Future_ set, I would
    > buy the first episode.>
    >
    > why? 3 movies for $25 when they came out...why would you want to spend
    > $15 or $20 for just one of them?

    The initial Wal-Mart price was a loss-leader. However, the original
    _Back to the Future_ set contained two mis-framed disks, Parts 2 and 3.
    Universal knew about this 4 months earlier when it received complaints
    from owners of the Region 4 DVDs.

    (Yes, I know that I could have bought the set, requested the return
    mailers and possibly have received undamaged, re-mastered disks by
    return mail.)

    But all I want is the first disk. If Paramount can break up the
    Godfather set, why can't Universal break up the _Back to the Future_
    set?
    Scot Gardner, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Scot Gardner

    Jens Thomsen Guest

    Scot Gardner wrote:

    > But all I want is the first disk. If Paramount can break up the
    > Godfather set, why can't Universal break up the _Back to the Future_
    > set?

    They already did this in region 2. That is, part one is available
    separately, while part two and three still have to be purchased as parts of
    the box set.

    /Jens
    Jens Thomsen, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Jens Thomsen" <> wrote in message
    Scot Gardner wrote:

    > But all I want is the first disk. If Paramount can break up the
    > Godfather set, why can't Universal break up the _Back to the
    > Future_ set?

    <<They already did this in region 2. That is, part one is available
    separately, while part two and three still have to be purchased as parts
    of the box set. /Jens>>

    Fox did basically the same thing with _The French Connection_. The first
    movie is available separately, but the second movie is only available
    bundled with the first. It's hard to imagine anyone wanting the second
    movie without the first.

    It seems to me that the idea of bundling DVDs has to do with unloading a
    bad movie or two with a good movie. _The Godfather_ set seems to be an
    exception in that it has two good movies (Parts 1 and 2) plus a very
    good extras disk. The only bad part of the set is Part 3.
    Scot Gardner, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Scot Gardner

    Jens Thomsen Guest

    Scot Gardner wrote:

    > Fox did basically the same thing with _The French Connection_. The
    > first movie is available separately, but the second movie is only
    > available bundled with the first. It's hard to imagine anyone wanting
    > the second movie without the first.

    Oh, I agree. However, at least here in Denmark, the second film was
    available separately. I actually believe we never got that bundle that you
    see elsewhere. I don't know why, but it seems to me that the Danish
    distributors initially didn't care much for the classics and older
    productions. They probably thought that a bit more expensive bundle would be
    harder to sell than two separate releases.

    > It seems to me that the idea of bundling DVDs has to do with
    > unloading a bad movie or two with a good movie. _The Godfather_ set
    > seems to be an exception in that it has two good movies (Parts 1 and
    > 2) plus a very good extras disk. The only bad part of the set is Part
    > 3.

    Absolutely. I am quite curious about how they will sell Part 3, when the
    films get released separately.

    Btw. are they actually doing new transfers for The Godfather Trilogy, or did
    I read this wrong?

    /Jens
    Jens Thomsen, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Scot Gardner

    > It seems to me that the idea of bundling DVDs has to do with
    > unloading a bad movie or two with a good movie. _The Godfather_ set
    > seems to be an exception in that it has two good movies (Parts 1 and
    > 2) plus a very good extras disk. The only bad part of the set is Part
    > 3.

    <<Absolutely. I am quite curious about how they will sell Part 3, when
    the films get released separately.>>

    <<Btw. are they actually doing new transfers for The Godfather Trilogy,
    or did I read this wrong? /Jens>>

    According to a "New York Times" article, the old $105.99, 5-disk
    _Godfather_ DVD set, released 10/9/01, will soon be totally antiquated.
    DVDs made from new digital masters of all three movies will make the old
    DVDs look pathetic by comparison. Paramount will be doing things right
    this time.

    So, it's out with the old and in with the new. Fortunately, the new and
    improved _Godfather_ movies will be available separately, so there will
    be no need to re-purchase _Godfather 3_. Maybe the "Extras" disk will
    remain exclusive to the original, obsolete DVD bundle, so those who paid
    big bucks for the original set won't feel too bad.

    Or, maybe Part 3 will be bundled with the Extras disk. That's how the
    disks are currently being rented: Parts 1 and 2 are rented separately
    and Part 3 is rented with the Extras disk.

    *** *** ***

    Francis Ford Coppola's "Godfather" and "Godfather, Part II," which take
    up three DVD's in a five-disc boxed set, don't look quite that bad,
    but - given that they're among the greatest, most beautifully
    photographed films of all time - the results are dismaying. Images are
    faded in some scenes, way too dark in others and often speckled with
    weird distortions. For instance, in the opening shot of "Part II," the
    close-up of Al Pacino against a dark backdrop, it looks as if mosquitoes
    are swarming down his face. The movie looks better when it's televised
    on HBO.

    Paramount is making new digital masters of the "Godfather" films for
    reissue, as single-film discs, late next year.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/09/movies/09KAPL.html
    Scot Gardner, Nov 10, 2003