Goddammit I detest this portrait!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by casioculture@gmail.com, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Jun 26, 2005

  2. Hank L. Guest

    That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the face.
    Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but still.....

    Hank L.

    Hank L., Jun 26, 2005

  3. Mark² Guest

    "Hank L." <> wrote in message
    > That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the face.
    > Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but still.....
    >
    > Hank L.

    I had a similar effect.
    I think it's because our brains are trained to realign our eyes when it
    thinks we're seeing a double image (which would normally mean our eyes are
    crossing slightly, and need to turn a bit).

    Mark², Jun 26, 2005
  4. mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net (Mark²) wrote:

    > I think it's because our brains are trained

    Our brains are supposed to be hard-wired with a lot of facial recognition
    stuff. I suspect that photo is throwing a *huge* spanner in the neural
    works.

    Very uncomfortable viewing indeed.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Scott W Guest

    Hank L. wrote:
    > That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the face.
    > Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but still.....
    >
    > Hank L.

    Me, I am going to keep drinking until the face will come in to focus.
    It is a very disturbing thing to look at.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Rick Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Hank L. wrote:
    > > That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the face.
    > > Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but still.....
    > >
    > > Hank L.

    > Me, I am going to keep drinking until the face will come in to focus.
    > It is a very disturbing thing to look at.

    Just squint hard.

    Rick, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Dirty Harry Guest

    > > Hank L. wrote:
    > > > That is really weird in that I can't seem to focus my eyes on the

    face.
    > > > Of course maybe it's the 3 extra dose Margarita's I drank, but

    still.....

    > > > Hank L.

    > > Me, I am going to keep drinking until the face will come in to focus.
    > > It is a very disturbing thing to look at.

    > Just squint hard.

    After you are drunk all you have to do is tilt your head 90 degrees to the
    cross eye effect lines everything up...

    Dirty Harry, Jun 26, 2005
  8. ian lincoln Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > For all I care Satan spat on it
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

    A full length portrait might be interesting ;P

    ian lincoln, Jun 26, 2005
  9. Alan Browne Guest

    wrote:

    > For all I care Satan spat on it
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

    Cool. Drives the eyes nuts. I guess the wiring in our brains is very
    responsive to face patterns and expects things to be in the right spot.
    In turn the eyes are driven to other points of the face.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    A beaver and a rabbit are sitting in the woods near Hoover Dam.
    "Did you build that one?" the rabbit asked.

    Alan Browne, Jun 26, 2005
  10. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:

    > For all I care Satan spat on it
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

    Fascinating Effect!!
    A kind of optical illusion
    Your eyes say one thing.....Your brain says another.
    Each tries to override the other causing a kind of neural oscillation.
    Turning your head 90 degrees does seem to relieve the conflict somewhat.
    Thanks for posting this very interesting image.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jun 26, 2005
  11. Rudy Benner Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> For all I care Satan spat on it http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg
    >>

    > Fascinating Effect!!
    > A kind of optical illusion
    > Your eyes say one thing.....Your brain says another.
    > Each tries to override the other causing a kind of neural oscillation.
    > Turning your head 90 degrees does seem to relieve the conflict somewhat.
    > Thanks for posting this very interesting image.
    > Bob Williams

    Try cropping out the top set of eyes, or the bottom mouth, the brain pain
    seems to lessen. When I see both sets of features, it hurts.

    Maybe its just me.

    Rudy Benner, Jun 26, 2005
  12. Mark² Guest

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> For all I care Satan spat on it http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg
    >>

    > Fascinating Effect!!
    > A kind of optical illusion
    > Your eyes say one thing.....Your brain says another.
    > Each tries to override the other causing a kind of neural oscillation.
    > Turning your head 90 degrees does seem to relieve the conflict somewhat.
    > Thanks for posting this very interesting image.
    > Bob Williams

    I noticed the same 90 degree thing...
    Seems to help the visual confusion.
    Interesting.

    Mark², Jun 26, 2005
  13. Roxy d'Urban Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:51:36 -0700, casioculture wrote:

    > For all I care Satan spat on it
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

    Was it taken with an unfocussed, vertically held Leica rangefinder?

    --
    Save photography | shoot some film today!
    email: drop rods and insert surfaces

    Roxy d'Urban, Jun 27, 2005
  14. Don Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > For all I care Satan spat on it
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

    That seems as if it could seriously harm your vision if you kept looking at
    it. It hurts!!! :)

    Don D

    Don, Jun 27, 2005
  15. Paul H. Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > For all I care Satan spat on it
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

    Horrible! She's missing her fifth eye and has no nose slits like a proper
    Bongodorian slave girl from the 11th dimension! It's obscene!

    Paul H., Jun 28, 2005
  16. Nostrobino Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > For all I care Satan spat on it
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/6elloz.jpg

    Fascinating!

    Do you have any more like this?

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jun 30, 2005
  17. deloid Guest

    This photo just made my lysdexia worster.

    deloid, Jun 30, 2005
  18. Nostrobino Guest

    "deloid" <> wrote in message
    > This photo just made my lysdexia worster.

    :)

    If any photo could do that, that one could. It's really an amazing photo in
    its own perverse way. I've saved a copy, wish I had it full size.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jul 1, 2005