God warns that 34.8 MP is the end of the digital road

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by large person, Mar 25, 2008.

  1. large person

    large person Guest

    34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.

    Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing a
    nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).

    God also declared that the top optical resolution available in any
    meaningful sense is 100 lines per mm, which is really 100 line-pairs
    per mm i.e., 200 dots per mm. No lens truly resolves higher.

    It was also set into stone by God that the A2 size (420 x 594 mm) is
    the maximum print size that has any relevance to photographic work to
    be viewed close-up. Of course there can be larger sizes but they will
    be viewed from further away.

    Lastly, God made the human eye incapable of distinguishing detail (in
    what is viewed close-up) greater than 300 dpi (dots per inch).

    If we do the mathematics on what God gave to us:

    A2 @ 300 dpi requires 34,802,530 pixels (=420*594*(300/25.4)^2)

    35mm format @ 100 lp/mm requires 34,802,343 pixels (=24.084*36.126*200^2)
    which is 99.9995% of the previous value.

    Do you think that is coincidence? 34802530 and 34802343 ?

    Certainly not. Only a fool could think so.

    Like the fact that the lunar and solar disks subtend almost exactly the
    same angle when viewed from earth, and that the moon's orbital period is
    almost perfectly synchronous with the earth's rotational period, it is
    a sure sign that God designed it that way.

    So it follows that God has set 34.8 MP to be the holy grail of digital
    photography. When that is reached in 35mm format, development may stop
    and turn instead to improving S/N ratio, sensitivity, color accuracy
    and similar parameters.

    Canon and Nikon take note. Exceed 34.8 Megapixels and face God's righteous
    wrath!

    Footnote

    God overlooked that the aspect ratio for 35mm is exactly 1.5000 and for
    A2 paper it is approximately SQRT(2) = 1.41421(etc)
    But then, such small details are only for small people!
    The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
    is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
    than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.eu.org
    for abuse and hashcash info.
    large person, Mar 25, 2008

  2. "large person" <> wrote

    > 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.

    Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    G Paleologopoulos, Mar 25, 2008

  3. large person

    John Locke Guest

    On 25 Mar 2008 22:09:57 -0000, large person <>
    wrote:

    >34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.
    >
    >Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing a
    >nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    >36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).
    >
    >God also declared that the top optical resolution available in any
    >meaningful sense is 100 lines per mm, which is really 100 line-pairs
    >per mm i.e., 200 dots per mm. No lens truly resolves higher.
    >
    >It was also set into stone by God that the A2 size (420 x 594 mm) is
    >the maximum print size that has any relevance to photographic work to
    >be viewed close-up. Of course there can be larger sizes but they will
    >be viewed from further away.
    >
    >Lastly, God made the human eye incapable of distinguishing detail (in
    >what is viewed close-up) greater than 300 dpi (dots per inch).

    Well "God" didn't make the human eye. Its a product of nature. And
    at some point in time, nature will improve on it..unless of course man
    does it first.

    "It is far better to grasp the Universe
    as it really is than to persist in delusion,
    however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
    John Locke, Mar 25, 2008
  4. large person

    Frank Arthur Guest

    "large person" <> wrote in message
    > 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.
    >
    > Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing
    > nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    > 36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).

    Sorry but God goofed. 24mm x 30mm which would yeild 8 x 10 inch
    prints.
    As far as I know God once produced the British Wrayflex camera using
    35mm
    film producing 24mm x30mm images. All others were heathens.

    Frank Arthur, Mar 25, 2008
  5. large person

    John Baker Guest

    wrote:

    >34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.
    >
    >Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing a
    >nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    >36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).
    >
    >God also declared that the top optical resolution available in any
    >meaningful sense is 100 lines per mm, which is really 100 line-pairs
    >per mm i.e., 200 dots per mm. No lens truly resolves higher.
    >
    >It was also set into stone by God that the A2 size (420 x 594 mm) is
    >the maximum print size that has any relevance to photographic work to
    >be viewed close-up. Of course there can be larger sizes but they will
    >be viewed from further away.
    >
    >Lastly, God made the human eye incapable of distinguishing detail (in
    >what is viewed close-up) greater than 300 dpi (dots per inch).
    >
    >If we do the mathematics on what God gave to us:
    >
    >A2 @ 300 dpi requires 34,802,530 pixels (=420*594*(300/25.4)^2)
    >
    >35mm format @ 100 lp/mm requires 34,802,343 pixels (=24.084*36.126*200^2)
    >which is 99.9995% of the previous value.
    >
    >Do you think that is coincidence? 34802530 and 34802343 ?
    >
    >Certainly not. Only a fool could think so.
    >
    >Like the fact that the lunar and solar disks subtend almost exactly the
    >same angle when viewed from earth, and that the moon's orbital period is
    >almost perfectly synchronous with the earth's rotational period, it is
    >a sure sign that God designed it that way.
    >
    >So it follows that God has set 34.8 MP to be the holy grail of digital
    >photography. When that is reached in 35mm format, development may stop
    >and turn instead to improving S/N ratio, sensitivity, color accuracy
    >and similar parameters.
    >
    >Canon and Nikon take note. Exceed 34.8 Megapixels and face God's righteous
    >wrath!
    >

    > Footnote
    >
    >God overlooked that the aspect ratio for 35mm is exactly 1.5000 and for
    >A2 paper it is approximately SQRT(2) = 1.41421(etc)
    >But then, such small details are only for small people!

    Heretic! The Flying Spaghetti Monster hath decreed that thou shalt
    shoot Kodachrome and only Kodachrome (or Tri-X if thou shootest black
    and white). All else is of the demon Linguini and is blasphemy (though
    the FSM hath allowed that thou mayest substitute Fujichrome in a
    pinch). Whomsoever shall breaketh this rule shall, upon his departure
    from the physical world, be condemned to a place of agony and despair
    from which there is no escape, and where his sinful soul shall be
    sauteed in olive oil with garlic and portabella mushrooms and cast
    into a lake of fiery marinara for all eternity.
    John Baker, Mar 25, 2008
  6. large person <> wrote in

    > Canon and Nikon take note. Exceed 34.8 Megapixels and face God's
    > righteous wrath!

    Er, dude, I hate to tell you this, but that was exceeded by at least
    one order of magnitude on production equipment at least ten years
    ago.

    --
    Terry Austin

    "There's no law west of the internet."
    - Nick Stump

    Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
    Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy, Mar 25, 2008
  7. large person

    measekite Guest

    large person wrote:
    > 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.
    >
    > Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing a
    > nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    > 36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).
    >
    > God also declared that the

    United States of America the land of the free and the home of the brave.

    measekite, Mar 25, 2008
  8. large person

    Yoshi Guest

    > 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.
    >
    > Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing a
    > nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    > 36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).
    >
    > God also declared that the top optical resolution available in any
    > meaningful sense is 100 lines per mm, which is really 100 line-pairs
    > per mm i.e., 200 dots per mm. No lens truly resolves higher.
    >
    > It was also set into stone by God that the A2 size (420 x 594 mm) is
    > the maximum print size that has any relevance to photographic work to
    > be viewed close-up. Of course there can be larger sizes but they will
    > be viewed from further away.
    >
    > Lastly, God made the human eye incapable of distinguishing detail (in
    > what is viewed close-up) greater than 300 dpi (dots per inch).
    >
    > If we do the mathematics on what God gave to us:
    >
    > A2 @ 300 dpi requires 34,802,530 pixels (=420*594*(300/25.4)^2)
    >
    > 35mm format @ 100 lp/mm requires 34,802,343 pixels (=24.084*36.126*200^2)
    > which is 99.9995% of the previous value.
    >
    > Do you think that is coincidence? 34802530 and 34802343 ?
    >
    > Certainly not. Only a fool could think so.
    >
    > Like the fact that the lunar and solar disks subtend almost exactly the
    > same angle when viewed from earth, and that the moon's orbital period is
    > almost perfectly synchronous with the earth's rotational period, it is
    > a sure sign that God designed it that way.
    >
    > So it follows that God has set 34.8 MP to be the holy grail of digital
    > photography. When that is reached in 35mm format, development may stop
    > and turn instead to improving S/N ratio, sensitivity, color accuracy
    > and similar parameters.
    >
    > Canon and Nikon take note. Exceed 34.8 Megapixels and face God's righteous
    > wrath!
    >

    > Footnote
    >
    > God overlooked that the aspect ratio for 35mm is exactly 1.5000 and for
    > A2 paper it is approximately SQRT(2) = 1.41421(etc)
    > But then, such small details are only for small people!
    > The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header
    > is unverified. You need a valid hashcash token to post to groups other
    > than alt.test and alt.anonymous.messages. Visit www.panta-rhei.eu.org
    > for abuse and hashcash info.

    The primary flaw in this chain of reasoning is that there is no evidence
    that a god exists.
    Yoshi, Mar 25, 2008
  9. large person

    Martin Guest

    Yoshi wrote:

    > The primary flaw in this chain of reasoning is that there is no evidence
    > that a god exists.

    God exists, and the proof is oysters - he has a sense of humour
    Martin, Mar 25, 2008
  10. large person

    Michael Gray Guest

    wrote:

    >34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.

    You have way too much time on your hands.
    Get a job or something.
    Michael Gray, Mar 26, 2008
  11. large person

    Michael Gray Guest

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:39:36 +0000, Martin <>
    wrote:

    >Yoshi wrote:
    >

    >> The primary flaw in this chain of reasoning is that there is no evidence
    >> that a god exists.
    >>

    >God exists, and the proof is oysters - he has a sense of humour

    "She" has a sense of humour...
    Michael Gray, Mar 26, 2008
    large person
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.
    >
    > Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing a
    > nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    > 36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).

    Judging by your numbers, you are running v10.4.8 of G*d. It is long
    time to overdue for upgrade. Everybody else and their friends
    upgraded to v10.6.4 long time ago.

    According to v10.6.4, the ruling is that 144MP is the official limit
    for 24x36mm sensors.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Mar 26, 2008
  13. large person

    ben brugman Guest

    > God also declared that the top optical resolution available in any
    > meaningful sense is 100 lines per mm, which is really 100 line-pairs
    > per mm i.e., 200 dots per mm. No lens truly resolves higher.

    To resolve 100 line-pairs per mm, Sqrt(2)*100 dots are needed. Only 200 dots
    per mm can resolve 100 lines per mm if they are alligned properly. If they
    are 'misalligned' the lines are not resolved but become a gray blur. If the
    lines are alligned in some places and misalligned in other places you will
    get moire.

    So to resolve 100 line-pairs, you need 283 dots per mm. *)

    Then you need real pixels which can resolve 100 line-pairs per mm for any
    color, this bumps up the number of pixels by a factor of 3.

    So 34.2*sqrt(2)*sqrt(2)*3, is the correct number of pixels according to your
    reasoning. This works out to be 205 MP.

    So next time when interpreting this kind of higher rules be more carefull.

    ben

    *)
    Where does the sqrt(2) = 1.41 come from. In the sensor a pixels must be able
    to distingisch between 'black' and 'white', to do that, at least half the
    pixel should be 'black' or half the pixel should be white. The pixels should
    be smal enough to fit a pixel in between two black lines to be at least for
    50% white. To accomplisch this for all cases the pixels must be smaller than
    the lines are. So the pixel must have an area twice the width of the line
    squared. If the line is 1 wide the pixel should have an area of 2. So the
    pixels sides are sqrt(2)=1.41 of the line thickness to resolve.
    (Look at the resolution of different ccd's and you see that this sqrt(2)
    works).
    ben brugman, Mar 26, 2008
  14. large person

    Robibnikoff Guest

    > 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD

    What god?
    --
    Robyn
    Resident Witchypoo
    Robibnikoff, Mar 26, 2008
  15. large person

    Nosterill Guest

    On Mar 25, 11:09 pm, large person <> wrote:
    > 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.
    >
    > Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing a
    > nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    > 36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).

    So Oskar Barnack is God? That would account for the perfection of the
    Leica.
    Nosterill, Mar 26, 2008
  16. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Robibnikoff <> wrote:

    > "large person" <> wrote in message
    >> 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD

    > What god?

    The increasingly popular god of sloppy arithmetic.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Mar 26, 2008
  17. On Mar 25, 5:33 pm, John Locke <> wrote:
    > On 25 Mar 2008 22:09:57 -0000, large person <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > Well "God" didn't make the human eye. Its a product of nature. And
    > at some point in time, nature will improve on it..unless of course man
    > does it first.

    We already have- binoculars, telescopes, etc. From now on humans
    control evolution (on THIS planet, anyway). Of course, although I am
    a retired physicist, I also think that God specified the laws of
    nature, so he/she indirectly, in a way, designed the eye :)
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Mar 26, 2008
  18. large person

    rwalker Guest

    > 34.8 MEGAPIXELS AND NO MORE. THAT IS FINAL, AND GOD RULED THIS.
    >
    > Long ago, God set out that 35 mm is the perfect film format bearing a
    > nominal frame size of 24 x 36 mm and an exact frame size 24.084 x
    > 36.126 mm (less a 0.9 mm wide border for film transparency masking).

    snip

    Well, my god's bigger than yours, because he decreed 6 x 7 cm. to be the
    nominal frame size.
    rwalker, Mar 26, 2008
  19. large person

    Michael Gray Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:53:16 -0700 (PDT), Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    <> wrote:

    >On Mar 25, 5:33 pm, John Locke <> wrote:
    >> On 25 Mar 2008 22:09:57 -0000, large person <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Well "God" didn't make the human eye. Its a product of nature. And
    >> at some point in time, nature will improve on it..unless of course man
    >> does it first.

    >We already have- binoculars, telescopes, etc. From now on humans
    >control evolution (on THIS planet, anyway). Of course, although I am
    >a retired physicist, I also think that God specified the laws of
    >nature, so he/she indirectly, in a way, designed the eye :)

    You were a physicist, yet you still believe in a bronze-age
    superstition?
    How can you support such blatant cognitive dissanance?
    Michael Gray, Mar 26, 2008
  20. large person

    ____ Guest

    In article <>,
    Michael Gray <> wrote:

    > You were a physicist, yet you still believe in a bronze-age
    > superstition? How can you support such blatant cognitive dissanance?

    Yes; its twits like you that do make a rough argument out of intelligent
    design.

    --
    Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
    ____, Mar 27, 2008