God! Panasonic buying into Olympus??!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 6, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jun 6, 2012

  2. RichA

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    RichA <> wrote:
    >Could it be a ploy to keep another playing in 4/3rds so Panasonic
    >won't be left all alone??
    >
    >http://www.1001noisycameras.com/201...-invest-up-to-630-million-usd-in-olympus.html

    1) Olympus cameras are already using Panasonic sensors, right?

    2) The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is in high demand; Dpreview.com gave it their
    Gold rating, and yet you can't get your hands on one for love or
    money. (Still waiting!) Perhaps a company with a product that
    people want but is having trouble meeting demand is considered a good
    target for investment capital? I don't know how that works.

    3) During the auto-bailout debate, a spokesman for Ford said that if
    if GM and Chrysler failed, they would take Ford down with them.
    Again, I don't understand how that works.

    --
    Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
    pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 6, 2012

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >Could it be a ploy to keep another playing in 4/3rds so Panasonic
    >won't be left all alone??
    >
    >http://www.1001noisycameras.com/201...-invest-up-to-630-million-usd-in-olympus.html

    That's a relief.

    The alternatives suggested so far (Sony, Fujifilm ...) would have been
    far worse partners for Olympus. The only worry is that both Panasonic
    and Olympus are financially weak and have been making serious losses.

    That was the situation when Konica and Minolta merged, and look what a
    disaster that turned out to be! It is not easy to make a strong
    company from two weak ones.

    Bruce, Jun 6, 2012