God-dammit!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nibbler, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Nibbler

    Nibbler Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message

    > kenneth_lad wrote:
    > > can anyone tell me if this memory card is supposed to work with the

    Canon
    > > a80?
    > >
    > > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A42WV/ref=e_de_x_ri_4/202-
    > > 7650013-0974227
    > >
    > > i bought this card, placed it in the slot correctly, and tried closing
    > > the protective lid on the camera. the lid would not close very easily

    so,
    > > rather than force the lid down, i took the card out and put my original
    > > 32mb one back in.
    > >
    > > now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with this
    > > but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the memory card
    > > inside!!
    > >
    > > i'm really pissed off about this as i've only just bought the blinking
    > > thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a sudden not work
    > > after changing memory cards (the camera now only switches on of a memory
    > > card is not inside it - which defeats the point of it reall)
    > >
    > > why are electronic items so prone to developing faults within the first
    > > few weeks? aaaaaargggggh.

    > Hi...
    >
    > Is it possible you bent a pin over?
    >
    > Take a flashlight (that's a torch to you guys :)
    > and a magnifying glass; take a close look.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    are you sure, you try flipping it it over? :)

    kenneth_lad, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Nibbler

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Xns949EBEC994FE2eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67 "kenneth_lad" <noemail>
    wrote:

    > now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with this
    > but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the memory card
    > inside!!
    >
    > i'm really pissed off about this as i've only just bought the blinking
    > thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a sudden not work
    > after changing memory cards (the camera now only switches on of a memory
    > card is not inside it - which defeats the point of it reall)

    Maybe a pin on the internal connector got bent when you inserted the new
    card.

    Now, when you insert your old card, the bent pin prevents it from going in
    all the way, so the cover won't close easily, and the pin is touching
    another pin (or something else) preventing the camera from operating.

    When you take out the card, the bent bin moves enough that it's no longer
    shorting anything out.

    Just a guess ...

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Nibbler

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Ken Weitzel, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Nibbler

    kenneth_lad Guest

    thanks for both of your replies.

    the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen when i'm
    using a compatible card? obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
    not sure how this could happen...

    i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon) may not
    allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll probably think i
    damaged it and therefore they are not liable.
    kenneth_lad, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Nibbler

    Nibbler Guest

    "kenneth_lad" <noemail> wrote in message
    > thanks for both of your replies.
    >
    > the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen when i'm
    > using a compatible card?

    something wedged in pin hole in CF card before insertion... hasty, uneven
    pull on removal of card... hasty, uneven insertion of card... forign object
    in card slot with card... forign object stuck in card slot... card forced
    upside down or backwards... etc...

    obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
    > not sure how this could happen...

    obviously :)

    > i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon) may not
    > allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll probably think i
    > damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

    depends. new under warrenty?
    Nibbler, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Nibbler

    Frank ess Guest

    kenneth_lad wrote:
    > thanks for both of your replies.
    >
    > the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen
    > when i'm using a compatible card? obviously, the card was inserted
    > correctly so i'm not sure how this could happen...
    >
    > i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon)
    > may not allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll
    > probably think i damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

    Did God answer you yet?
    Frank ess, Feb 29, 2004
  8. Nibbler

    kenneth_lad Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote in

    > In news:Xns949EBEC994FE2eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67 "kenneth_lad"
    > <noemail> wrote:
    >
    >> now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with
    >> this but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the
    >> memory card inside!!
    >>
    >> i'm really pissed off about this as i've only just bought the
    >> blinking thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a
    >> sudden not work after changing memory cards (the camera now only
    >> switches on of a memory card is not inside it - which defeats the
    >> point of it reall)

    > Maybe a pin on the internal connector got bent when you inserted the
    > new card.
    >
    > Now, when you insert your old card, the bent pin prevents it from
    > going in all the way, so the cover won't close easily, and the pin is
    > touching another pin (or something else) preventing the camera from
    > operating.
    >
    > When you take out the card, the bent bin moves enough that it's no
    > longer shorting anything out.
    >
    > Just a guess ...

    i've checked with a torch and it appears that one pin on the far left is
    bent.

    does anyone know where i stand with this (in terms of getting it replaced
    or repaired via Amazon or Canon) as i'm 100% sure that the card was
    inserted correctly, so i can't really see how this is my fault.
    kenneth_lad, Feb 29, 2004
  9. Nibbler

    Eddy Guest

    "kenneth_lad" <noemail> wrote in message
    > thanks for both of your replies.
    >
    > the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen when i'm
    > using a compatible card? obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
    > not sure how this could happen...
    >
    > i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon) may not
    > allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll probably think i
    > damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

    Not if you told them it just stopped working!.

    Eddy
    Eddy, Feb 29, 2004
  10. Nibbler

    kenneth_lad Guest

    "Nibbler" <> wrote in

    > "kenneth_lad" <noemail> wrote in message
    >> thanks for both of your replies.
    >>
    >> the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen
    >> when i'm using a compatible card?

    > something wedged in pin hole in CF card before insertion... hasty,
    > uneven pull on removal of card... hasty, uneven insertion of card...
    > forign object in card slot with card... forign object stuck in card
    > slot... card forced upside down or backwards... etc...
    >

    > obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
    >> not sure how this could happen...

    > obviously :)
    >

    >> i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon)
    >> may not allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll
    >> probably think i damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

    > depends. new under warrenty?

    yes, i've had it for a week.
    kenneth_lad, Feb 29, 2004
  11. Nibbler

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    kenneth_lad wrote:
    > Bert Hyman <> wrote in
    >

    >>In news:Xns949EBEC994FE2eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67 "kenneth_lad"
    >><noemail> wrote:
    >>

    >>>now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with
    >>>this but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the
    >>>memory card inside!!
    >>>
    >>>i'm really pissed off about this as i've only just bought the
    >>>blinking thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a
    >>>sudden not work after changing memory cards (the camera now only
    >>>switches on of a memory card is not inside it - which defeats the
    >>>point of it reall)

    >>Maybe a pin on the internal connector got bent when you inserted the
    >>new card.
    >>
    >>Now, when you insert your old card, the bent pin prevents it from
    >>going in all the way, so the cover won't close easily, and the pin is
    >>touching another pin (or something else) preventing the camera from
    >>operating.
    >>
    >>When you take out the card, the bent bin moves enough that it's no
    >>longer shorting anything out.
    >>
    >>Just a guess ...
    >>

    > i've checked with a torch and it appears that one pin on the far left is
    > bent.
    >
    > does anyone know where i stand with this (in terms of getting it replaced
    > or repaired via Amazon or Canon) as i'm 100% sure that the card was
    > inserted correctly, so i can't really see how this is my fault.

    If I were in your shoes I think I'd consider just
    putting the original card in as best it goes...

    Camera will of course be dead.

    Then pack it back up perfectly; all the bits and
    pieces and manuals and packaging back into the
    box as close to original as you can come.

    Next carry it by hand back to the retailer you
    bought it from. Tell them you need it at once;
    there's something coming up in the next day or two,
    that something being the reason you bought it in the
    first place.

    With a little luck they may just exchange it for a
    new one on the spot? :)

    Worth a try; might work here, but then I'm in
    Canada - don't know how similar things are
    handled in the UK

    Good luck.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Feb 29, 2004
  12. Nibbler

    Paul Cassel Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:

    > If I were in your shoes I think I'd consider just
    > putting the original card in as best it goes...
    >
    > Camera will of course be dead.
    >
    > Then pack it back up perfectly; all the bits and
    > pieces and manuals and packaging back into the
    > box as close to original as you can come.
    >
    > Next carry it by hand back to the retailer you
    > bought it from. Tell them you need it at once;
    > there's something coming up in the next day or two,
    > that something being the reason you bought it in the
    > first place.
    >
    > With a little luck they may just exchange it for a
    > new one on the spot? :)
    >
    > Worth a try; might work here, but then I'm in
    > Canada - don't know how similar things are
    > handled in the UK

    If you're telling him to cheat the store, why not give him instructions on
    how to shoplift a better camera? Or better yet, use a knife to rob the store
    owner of his day's reciepts and then just go back to Amazon and buy a great
    camera? If you steal, steal big.

    -paul
    Paul Cassel, Feb 29, 2004
  13. Nibbler

    Paul Cassel Guest

    kenneth_lad wrote:
    > thanks for both of your replies.
    >
    > the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen
    > when i'm using a compatible card? obviously, the card was inserted
    > correctly so i'm not sure how this could happen...
    >
    > i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon)
    > may not allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll
    > probably think i damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

    Yoo hoo. The camera wasn't bad. It seems that the card you bought from
    Amazon was bad which damaged the camera. Nothing you said indicates to me
    that they are liable. If the el cheapo card you thought was such a bargain
    from Amazon screwed up your camera, be a man and live with it. Straightening
    the pin can be that big a deal. Even if it is, you did it.

    -paul
    Paul Cassel, Feb 29, 2004
  14. Nibbler

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/29/04 4:16 PM, in article c1toag$1dr6v3$-berlin.de,
    "Paul Cassel" <> wrote:

    > Ken Weitzel wrote:
    >>
    >> If I were in your shoes I think I'd consider just
    >> putting the original card in as best it goes...
    >>
    >> Camera will of course be dead.
    >>
    >> Then pack it back up perfectly; all the bits and
    >> pieces and manuals and packaging back into the
    >> box as close to original as you can come.
    >>
    >> Next carry it by hand back to the retailer you
    >> bought it from. Tell them you need it at once;
    >> there's something coming up in the next day or two,
    >> that something being the reason you bought it in the
    >> first place.
    >>
    >> With a little luck they may just exchange it for a
    >> new one on the spot? :)
    >>
    >> Worth a try; might work here, but then I'm in
    >> Canada - don't know how similar things are
    >> handled in the UK
    >>

    > If you're telling him to cheat the store, why not give him instructions on
    > how to shoplift a better camera? Or better yet, use a knife to rob the store
    > owner of his day's reciepts and then just go back to Amazon and buy a great
    > camera? If you steal, steal big.
    >
    > -paul

    My thoughts exactly. Why be half-assed about it? Get an AK-47 and pop the
    store owner.

    He should accept the fact that he is responsible for the camera's condition
    and be a man about it instead of cursing God for his own mistakes.

    George Kerby, Feb 29, 2004
  15. Nibbler

    Nibbler Guest

    > > why are electronic items so prone to developing faults within the first
    > > few weeks? aaaaaargggggh.

    Because after that, any problems would have had manifested... (kind of like,
    why is it always in the last place I look)

    > It sounds like a card managed to bend the pins inside the camera. You
    > should be able to use a penlight to verify this. IF you are very lucky,
    > it may be that something, like a piece of paper got inside the card slot
    > and is preventing the cards from seating properly.

    one reason to use card wallets or carriers... (and to look before you leap)
    I've seen instances where plugged holes in CF cards have bent pins when
    misaligned from debris during insert, then made worse from repeated attempts
    with other cards that *had* fit before... also, cheap cards are not always
    just slower. they can, and sometimes do, skimp on the connector sockets
    internal to the card. the springs could have a looser or tighter connection
    to the pins. one causes intermitent problems, the other bends pins...
    Nibbler, Mar 1, 2004
  16. Nibbler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2004
  17. Nibbler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    kenneth_lad wrote:

    > Bert Hyman <> wrote in
    >

    >>In news:Xns949EBEC994FE2eznowrudeboy@195.129.110.67 "kenneth_lad"
    >><noemail> wrote:
    >>

    >>>now, for some bizarre reason, the lid doesn't close as easily with
    >>>this but can close. BUT now the camera doesn't turn on with the
    >>>memory card inside!!
    >>>
    >>>i'm really pissed off about this as i've only just bought the
    >>>blinking thing and i can't understand how the camera can all of a
    >>>sudden not work after changing memory cards (the camera now only
    >>>switches on of a memory card is not inside it - which defeats the
    >>>point of it reall)

    >>Maybe a pin on the internal connector got bent when you inserted the
    >>new card.
    >>
    >>Now, when you insert your old card, the bent pin prevents it from
    >>going in all the way, so the cover won't close easily, and the pin is
    >>touching another pin (or something else) preventing the camera from
    >>operating.
    >>
    >>When you take out the card, the bent bin moves enough that it's no
    >>longer shorting anything out.
    >>
    >>Just a guess ...
    >>

    > i've checked with a torch and it appears that one pin on the far left is
    > bent.
    >
    > does anyone know where i stand with this (in terms of getting it replaced
    > or repaired via Amazon or Canon) as i'm 100% sure that the card was
    > inserted correctly, so i can't really see how this is my fault.

    Check the corresponding hole in the card you used that first had the
    problem and see if anything is obstructing the hole. If so, you MAY be
    able to get an adjustment from the card vendor. It may also be possible
    to get the pin straightened.
    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2004
  18. Nibbler

    zbzbzb Guest

    >thanks for both of your replies.
    >
    >the bent pin explanation may be correct but how could this happen when i'm
    >using a compatible card? obviously, the card was inserted correctly so i'm
    >not sure how this could happen...

    Maybe the alignment of the new cards holes were slightly off and you put it in
    quickly enough where the bevel of each holes opening didn't get a chance to
    help it align into the hole.

    >i'm just concerned as, if it is a bent pin, they (Canon or Amazon) may not
    >allow me to change the camera for a new one as they'll probably think i
    >damaged it and therefore they are not liable.

    Just go buy yourself an inexpensive set of jewelers screwdrivers (handy to have
    anyway) and bend the pin back into place. It's easy to do.
    zbzbzb, Mar 1, 2004
  19. Nibbler

    kenneth_lad Guest

    today, amazon has sent me a brand new camera without any questions of fuss,
    so my problem is now resolved.

    i'd just like to thank amazon for their excellent customer service.

    thank you also to those who gave some sensible replies. bollox to those of
    you who were idiots and posted crap.
    kenneth_lad, Mar 2, 2004
  20. Nibbler

    Frank ess Guest

    kenneth_lad wrote:
    > today, amazon has sent me a brand new camera without any questions of
    > fuss, so my problem is now resolved.
    >
    > i'd just like to thank amazon for their excellent customer service.
    >
    > thank you also to those who gave some sensible replies. bollox to
    > those of you who were idiots and posted crap.

    Yes, but what was God's reaction?

    Does receiving a new camera represent dammit or not-dammit?
    Frank ess, Mar 2, 2004