    time. Say I start a linuk iso at 11.00 11.30 or one does'nt finish till
    after 4pm how much will count all or nothing or just from 4pm

    , Nov 4, 2006

  2. David Empson Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Second how accurate do you think xtra will be with the 700 mb peak
    > time. Say I start a linuk iso at 11.00 11.30 or one does'nt finish till
    > after 4pm how much will count all or nothing or just from 4pm

    I would expect them to be using a pretty accurate system (down to the
    minute, most likely) to measure traffic to/from your ADSL modem. It will
    only be counting traffic sent or received between 4 pm and midnight.

    What happened prior to 4 pm doesn't matter. If you are 90% of the way
    through a 2 GB download at 4 pm, only the portion downloaded after 4 pm
    would be counted towards your 700 MB peak period limit, i.e. 200 MB
    (plus a little for acknowledgements, which are tiny by comparison).

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Nov 4, 2006

  3. In message <1hob3kf.4ngkol36bi8yN%>, David Empson
    wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Second how accurate do you think xtra will be with the 700 mb peak
    >> time. Say I start a linuk iso at 11.00 11.30 or one does'nt finish till
    >> after 4pm how much will count all or nothing or just from 4pm

    > I would expect them to be using a pretty accurate system (down to the
    > minute, most likely) to measure traffic to/from your ADSL modem.

    I would not describe "down to the minute" as "pretty accurate". "Down to the
    second" would be more like it. That's the sort of accuracy you should be
    able to take for granted these days.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2006
  4. MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 01:55:01 +1300, David Empson wrote:

    > What happened prior to 4 pm doesn't matter. If you are 90% of the way
    > through a 2 GB download at 4 pm, only the portion downloaded after 4 pm
    > would be counted towards your 700 MB peak period limit, i.e. 200 MB
    > (plus a little for acknowledgements, which are tiny by comparison).

    Is that 700mb per day maximum during "peak time" (read as "when most
    people are at home and would actually want to use it") and completely
    unrestricted & uncapped for the rest of the day?

    What happens when the 700mb cap is reached?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."

    MaHogany, Nov 4, 2006
  5. Chris Lim Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > Is that 700mb per day maximum during "peak time" (read as "when most
    > people are at home and would actually want to use it") and completely
    > unrestricted & uncapped for the rest of the day?

    That's how I understand it, yes.

    > What happens when the 700mb cap is reached?

    >From Xtra's site:

    "If in a single day you use more than 700MB of data during the peak
    hours of 4pm to 12am (midnight) then we'll get in touch with some
    advice on how to reduce your usage. If your usage continues to be very
    high, then you may become subject to our Fair Use Policy.

    That means we will transfer you into the Fair Use Pool where you will
    share a fixed amount of bandwidth with other users in this pool. You
    will remain in the Fair Use Pool for 1 week."

    However, I'm not sure whether being in the Fair Use Pool only limits
    your bandwidth during peak hours only, or all hours, for the 1 week.

    Chris

    Chris Lim, Nov 4, 2006
  6. MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:41:12 -0800, Chris Lim wrote:

    > "If in a single day you use more than 700MB of data during the peak
    > hours of 4pm to 12am (midnight) then we'll get in touch with some
    > advice on how to reduce your usage. If your usage continues to be very
    > high, then you may become subject to our Fair Use Policy.
    >
    > That means we will transfer you into the Fair Use Pool where you will
    > share a fixed amount of bandwidth with other users in this pool. You
    > will remain in the Fair Use Pool for 1 week."
    >
    > However, I'm not sure whether being in the Fair Use Pool only limits
    > your bandwidth during peak hours only, or all hours, for the 1 week.

    How I interpret this is that Telecom is not capable of delivering full
    bandwidth to all it's customers, and so it demands that people do not use
    much of what they are paying for during the times of the day when they
    might actually want to use it.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Nov 5, 2006
  7. Chris Lim Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > How I interpret this is that Telecom is not capable of delivering full
    > bandwidth to all it's customers, and so it demands that people do not use
    > much of what they are paying for during the times of the day when they
    > might actually want to use it.

    That's pretty much a given and I would say common-knowledge by now.
    However most people would find the 700MB limit during peak hours fine.
    People like myself who download lots of stuff via BitTorrent can at
    least get unlimited downloads outside those hours, which is better than
    before (currently I pay $150 a month with Slingshot, of which $100 is
    data, so switching to Xtra will save me a lots, with the slight
    inconvenience of the peak hour restriction).

    My biggest gripe is still speed - I can't even get close to 2mbps which
    is absolutely pathetic, and it feels like Telecom are rubbing my nose
    in it by advertising these 'Unleashed' speeds.

    Chris Lim, Nov 5, 2006
  8. MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:26:49 -0800, Chris Lim wrote:

    > My biggest gripe is still speed - I can't even get close to 2mbps which
    > is absolutely pathetic, and it feels like Telecom are rubbing my nose
    > in it by advertising these 'Unleashed' speeds.

    If you cannot achieve data throughput on your link sufficient to saturate
    your DSL downlward connection then you are not receiving "full speed" data
    transmission.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Nov 5, 2006
  9. Chris Lim Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > If you cannot achieve data throughput on your link sufficient to saturate
    > your DSL downlward connection then you are not receiving "full speed" data
    > transmission.

    Except when Telecom define "full speed" as "as fast as your connection
    allows". Like I said in a previous post, it's like advertising that you
    can now drive as fast as you like on the motorway during rush hour.
    Great, as long as you live somewhere where the motorway doesn't get
    congested!

    Chris Lim, Nov 5, 2006