    of the eval without reinstalling ?

    Please help!

    I do not want to reintall the whole damn thing

    Simo Sentissi, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Simo Sentissi

    Jim Macklin Guest

    A repair install from a bootable CD with the MSDN program.

    some support

    "Simo Sentissi" <> wrote in message
    | Hello there
    |
    | I downloaded the eval version of XP 64 pro and now my
    work boght me an MSDN
    | subscription where I can install XP pro 64 on my computer.
    how do I get rid

    Jim Macklin, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Remember to choose repair "after" accepting the F8 Agreement.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 31, 2005
  4. Simo Sentissi

    wewa Guest

    I did this yesterday.

    I inserted the CD into my up and running eval, clicked install, and then it
    copied files, and rebooted and all is good.
    I did have to download and update the Nvidia driver (77.72->81.85), as it
    was giving me error messages, but all seems good now, with all data and
    settings intact. Its even doing automatic windows updates (yellow shield in
    system tray).

    Very smooth transition from eval to full copy. Kudos to MS.

    Have fun.

    wewa, Oct 31, 2005
  5. Do you mean you ran it while in Windows? I didn't think you could do that.

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 2, 2005
  6. Simo Sentissi

    wewa Guest

    Yes, totally.

    I didn't think so either, as all that I have read these many months since we
    all started receiving our CDs, was to do a repair, or clean install. I
    figured hey, if it lets me, why not, and tried it.
    It did it just like when I do the reinstalls the same way on previous
    versions (XP, Me, 2000) by inserting the CD on a booted Win system.

    On first boot, it asked if I wanted to activate, said yes, online, and it
    thanked me, and I thanked it back.
    So far so good, I can't tell any problems whatsoever, winver shows no
    expiration date anymore, and I'm writing to you now on it.

    I did notice that everything was faster, like it was back when I first
    started using x64 earlier this year, so that was a plus.
    But I don't know to attribute it to differences in this final version, as to
    the trial version I was on, such details that we aren't privy to (hello
    MS?), or to just that Windows will always run faster after a clean refresh
    install, with cleaned up registries, and such.

    As I mentioned, it did complain about a version conflict of the Nvidia
    driver, soon after, so I downloaded the latest update, installed, and
    rebooted, and even images and videos seem crisper on my 6600 with dual Dell
    FPW2005 displays. Nvidia must have done some tweaking on this version. Or do
    I attribute this to the final x64 again? :D

    Guess I'm too giddy with final x64 goodness...I'm attributing my low
    cholesterol to it too!

    One quirk I have noticed, is that the automatic updates shield is always at
    the system tray now, and says 0% and never goes away...I will try to turn it
    off and back on to see if that clears it up.

    Enjoy.

    wewa, Nov 2, 2005
  7. Well that's interesting and good to know. It does seem the reasonable thing
    to be able to do. Although I've never had a problem with doing repair
    installs (all 2 of them) there is always that slight queasiness that
    accompanies the process. My OEM disk is in transit. I may have to give your
    method a try when it arrives....;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 2, 2005