GMX.com IMAP problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Feb 15, 2009.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    I've been using the free webmail/IMAP/SMTP service from
    <http://mail-eu.gmx.com/> since September and until Friday all was
    working. Since then I have been unable to fetch any new emails via IMAP
    (my email client reports numerous errors, or fails to log in at all) and
    the user forums accessible from the webmail page have vanished - all I get
    now is

    HTTP Status 404 - /forum/general_failure.html

    type Status report

    message /forum/general_failure.html

    description The requested resource (/forum/general_failure.html) is not
    available.

    Apache Tomcat/5.5.23

    I used POP to rescue my messages successfully - and I'm setting up an
    IMAP account with an alternative email service provider.

    Has anyone else here got a GMX.com account, and if so have they got
    similar problems?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 15, 2009

  2. Whiskers

    VanguardLH Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > I've been using the free webmail/IMAP/SMTP service from
    > <http://mail-eu.gmx.com/> since September and until Friday all was
    > working. Since then I have been unable to fetch any new emails via IMAP
    > (my email client reports numerous errors, or fails to log in at all) and
    > the user forums accessible from the webmail page have vanished - all I get
    > now is
    >
    > HTTP Status 404 - /forum/general_failure.html
    >
    > type Status report
    >
    > message /forum/general_failure.html
    >
    > description The requested resource (/forum/general_failure.html) is not
    > available.
    >
    > Apache Tomcat/5.5.23
    >
    > I used POP to rescue my messages successfully - and I'm setting up an
    > IMAP account with an alternative email service provider.
    >
    > Has anyone else here got a GMX.com account, and if so have they got
    > similar problems?

    What did they say when you sent them an e-mail about the outage (using
    an e-mail provider that still works so you can send them the e-mail)?

    http://mail-us.gmx.com/us/cgi/g.fcgi/corporate/about?sid=bhcbjbjibc.1234723153.13730.nsicfzdej1.76

    Or when using their Contact Us web form?

    http://mail-us.gmx.com/us/cgi/g.fcgi/noaccess?sid=bhcbjbjibc.1234723153.13730.nsicfzdej1.76

    VanguardLH, Feb 15, 2009

  3. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-02-15, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using the free webmail/IMAP/SMTP service from
    >> <http://mail-eu.gmx.com/> since September and until Friday all was
    >> working. Since then I have been unable to fetch any new emails via IMAP
    >> (my email client reports numerous errors, or fails to log in at all) and
    >> the user forums accessible from the webmail page have vanished - all I get
    >> now is
    >>
    >> HTTP Status 404 - /forum/general_failure.html
    >>
    >> type Status report
    >>
    >> message /forum/general_failure.html
    >>
    >> description The requested resource (/forum/general_failure.html) is not
    >> available.
    >>
    >> Apache Tomcat/5.5.23
    >>
    >> I used POP to rescue my messages successfully - and I'm setting up an
    >> IMAP account with an alternative email service provider.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else here got a GMX.com account, and if so have they got
    >> similar problems?

    > What did they say when you sent them an e-mail about the outage (using
    > an e-mail provider that still works so you can send them the e-mail)?
    >
    > http://mail-us.gmx.com/us/cgi/g.fcgi/corporate/about?sid=bhcbjbjibc.1234723153.13730.nsicfzdej1.76
    >
    > Or when using their Contact Us web form?
    >
    > http://mail-us.gmx.com/us/cgi/g.fcgi/noaccess?sid=bhcbjbjibc.1234723153.13730.nsicfzdej1.76

    I'm waiting to hear.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 15, 2009
  4. Whiskers

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > I've been using the free webmail/IMAP/SMTP service from
    > <http://mail-eu.gmx.com/> since September and until Friday all was
    > working. Since then I have been unable to fetch any new emails via IMAP
    > (my email client reports numerous errors, or fails to log in at all) and
    > the user forums accessible from the webmail page have vanished - all I
    > get now is

    I don't use/ have an account at/ gmx; but I can connect with the imap
    server...

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: imap.gmx.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 74.208.5.70
    Connecting to the server on remote port: 143
    [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    * OK GMX IMAP4 StreamProxy ready.
    Query complete.

    .... and I can connect with the forum at http://gmxhelp.com/ ...

    The most recent messages there are Feb 13. There's no announcement of
    problems in the Status Updates topic which was last posted to 2008 Apr 11.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 15, 2009
  5. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-02-15, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> I've been using the free webmail/IMAP/SMTP service from
    >> <http://mail-eu.gmx.com/> since September and until Friday all was
    >> working. Since then I have been unable to fetch any new emails via IMAP
    >> (my email client reports numerous errors, or fails to log in at all) and
    >> the user forums accessible from the webmail page have vanished - all I
    >> get now is

    > I don't use/ have an account at/ gmx; but I can connect with the imap
    > server...
    >
    > Initiating server query ...
    > Looking up IP address for domain: imap.gmx.com
    > The IP address for the domain is: 74.208.5.70
    > Connecting to the server on remote port: 143
    > [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    > * OK GMX IMAP4 StreamProxy ready.
    > Query complete.

    But 'authentication' fails, or it succeeds but trying to access any folder
    results in 'Mailbox does not exist' and 'IMAP error: STATUS error'

    > ... and I can connect with the forum at http://gmxhelp.com/ ...
    >
    > The most recent messages there are Feb 13.

    Actually, there are a few dated 14/2 - including one from me reporting the
    start of the IMAP problems - but the threads are not accessible, only
    error messages from the webserver. Without signing in to the webmail
    pages and going to the forums from there, they were only ever 'read only'.

    > There's no announcement of
    > problems in the Status Updates topic which was last posted to 2008 Apr 11.

    Slow responses to everything have been characteristic of GMX.com since I
    first signed up. I knew it to be a 'beta testing' service, and of course
    got my money's worth ;)) I hope they're merely testing some software
    revisions that don't work, rather than expiring. Hence my post here.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 15, 2009
  6. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2009-02-15, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    >> Whiskers wrote:
    >>> I've been using the free webmail/IMAP/SMTP service from
    >>> <http://mail-eu.gmx.com/> since September and until Friday all was
    >>> working. Since then I have been unable to fetch any new emails via IMAP
    >>> (my email client reports numerous errors, or fails to log in at all) and
    >>> the user forums accessible from the webmail page have vanished - all I
    >>> get now is

    >> I don't use/ have an account at/ gmx; but I can connect with the imap
    >> server...
    >>
    >> Initiating server query ...
    >> Looking up IP address for domain: imap.gmx.com
    >> The IP address for the domain is: 74.208.5.70
    >> Connecting to the server on remote port: 143
    >> [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
    >> * OK GMX IMAP4 StreamProxy ready.
    >> Query complete.

    > But 'authentication' fails, or it succeeds but trying to access any folder
    > results in 'Mailbox does not exist' and 'IMAP error: STATUS error'
    >
    >> ... and I can connect with the forum at http://gmxhelp.com/ ...
    >>
    >> The most recent messages there are Feb 13.

    > Actually, there are a few dated 14/2 - including one from me reporting the
    > start of the IMAP problems - but the threads are not accessible, only
    > error messages from the webserver. Without signing in to the webmail
    > pages and going to the forums from there, they were only ever 'read only'.
    >
    >> There's no announcement of
    >> problems in the Status Updates topic which was last posted to 2008 Apr 11.

    > Slow responses to everything have been characteristic of GMX.com since I
    > first signed up. I knew it to be a 'beta testing' service, and of course
    > got my money's worth ;)) I hope they're merely testing some software
    > revisions that don't work, rather than expiring. Hence my post here.

    Dont know if this thing will help you any but wtf...it verifies email addys:
    http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/email_lookup/check-email.php

    HTH

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/