    address/forwarder I could move over permanently.

    Cheers,
    JohnO
    JohnO, Oct 10, 2004

  2. JohnO

    JedMeister Guest

    maybe even better if someone can write an auto responder/change of address /
    forwarder for hotmail itself.

    It would just need to log-on, and parse the webpages to find new messages
    and send change email of email addresses.

    JedMeister, Oct 10, 2004

  3. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    /
    > forwarder for hotmail itself.
    >
    > It would just need to log-on, and parse the webpages to find new messages
    > and send change email of email addresses.

    Hey, now you're talking!

    I guess there was a protocol to do this before when they supported access
    for free from Outbreak Express, but IIRC that has been turned off and is a
    paid-for item now?
    JohnO, Oct 10, 2004
  4. JohnO wrote:
    >>maybe even better if someone can write an auto responder/change of address

    >>forwarder for hotmail itself.
    >>It would just need to log-on, and parse the webpages to find new messages
    >>and send change email of email addresses.

    > Hey, now you're talking!
    > I guess there was a protocol to do this before when they supported access
    > for free from Outbreak Express, but IIRC that has been turned off and is a
    > paid-for item now?

    yep... but I dont see why something couldn't be written to do it over
    plain http... sure it would lack security, but that doesnt really matter
    does it? It is only email anyway.

    :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 11, 2004
  5. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:
    > >>maybe even better if someone can write an auto responder/change of

    address

    > >>forwarder for hotmail itself.
    > >>It would just need to log-on, and parse the webpages to find new

    messages
    > >>and send change email of email addresses.

    > > Hey, now you're talking!
    > > I guess there was a protocol to do this before when they supported

    access
    > > for free from Outbreak Express, but IIRC that has been turned off and is

    > > paid-for item now?

    > yep... but I dont see why something couldn't be written to do it over
    > plain http... sure it would lack security, but that doesnt really matter
    > does it? It is only email anyway.
    >
    > :)

    Wouldn't necessarily be any more insecure than reading the mail in
    conventional fashion any way, would it?
    JohnO, Oct 11, 2004
  6. JohnO wrote:
    >>yep... but I dont see why something couldn't be written to do it over
    >>plain http... sure it would lack security, but that doesnt really matter
    >>does it? It is only email anyway.

    > Wouldn't necessarily be any more insecure than reading the mail in
    > conventional fashion any way, would it?

    dunno, I dont have a hotmail account to check it.
    they might use https I suppose?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 11, 2004
  7. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > Well, thanks to Misfit I've setup a gmail account and generally I
    > like it - despite originally having stronng reservations over their
    > approach to monitoring content and targetting advertisements. The ads
    > are pretty non intrusive and the features seem pretty good, its great
    > to be able to filter and forward mail, and fantasitc to have a GB of
    > storage.

    I like it too.

    > I wonder if some clever bugger could write a custom front-end to
    > gmail that filters out the ads altogether? ;-) Or an Outlook service
    > to interface to gmail?
    >
    > I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of outages in gmail
    > though. Has anyone else noticed that?

    No, I haven't noticed at all. However I only check my gmail about once a day
    and it always connects.

    > Now if only I could set up hotmail with an auto responder/change of
    > address/forwarder I could move over permanently.

    I'm moving a lot of my correspondence over to gmail because I like the way
    it keeps exchanges/conversations in a quasi-threaded format. Easy to find
    what has been said etc.

    My only niggle is the tech within dislikes the fact that I can't make a
    back-up. I often find myself going back over emails to find out things
    (that's why I like the way gmail groups messages) and would hate to lose my
    whole 'database'.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2004
  8. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > Well, thanks to Misfit I've setup a gmail account and generally I
    > > like it - despite originally having stronng reservations over their
    > > approach to monitoring content and targetting advertisements. The ads
    > > are pretty non intrusive and the features seem pretty good, its great
    > > to be able to filter and forward mail, and fantasitc to have a GB of
    > > storage.

    > I like it too.
    >
    > > I wonder if some clever bugger could write a custom front-end to
    > > gmail that filters out the ads altogether? ;-) Or an Outlook service
    > > to interface to gmail?
    > >
    > > I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of outages in gmail
    > > though. Has anyone else noticed that?

    > No, I haven't noticed at all. However I only check my gmail about once a

    day
    > and it always connects.

    I've not been able to get in at all this morning. I keep getting the 'system
    is temorarily unavailable' type message.
    JohnO, Oct 11, 2004
  9. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>Now if only I could set up hotmail with an auto responder/change of
    >>address/forwarder I could move over permanently.

    > I'm moving a lot of my correspondence over to gmail because I like the way
    > it keeps exchanges/conversations in a quasi-threaded format. Easy to find
    > what has been said etc.

    errr, then is it wise to use a beta service?

    > My only niggle is the tech within dislikes the fact that I can't make a
    > back-up. I often find myself going back over emails to find out things
    > (that's why I like the way gmail groups messages) and would hate to lose my
    > whole 'database'.

    rinse and repeat my comment above.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 11, 2004
  10. JohnO

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <ORiad.12003$>,
    says...
    > Well, thanks to Misfit I've setup a gmail account and generally I like it -
    > despite originally having stronng reservations over their approach to
    > monitoring content and targetting advertisements. The ads are pretty non
    > intrusive and the features seem pretty good, its great to be able to filter
    > and forward mail, and fantasitc to have a GB of storage.
    >
    > I wonder if some clever bugger could write a custom front-end to gmail that
    > filters out the ads altogether? ;-) Or an Outlook service to interface to
    > gmail?
    >
    > I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of outages in gmail though. Has
    > anyone else noticed that?
    >
    > Now if only I could set up hotmail with an auto responder/change of
    > address/forwarder I could move over permanently.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > JohnO

    There are a few utilities out for it some official and some not.
    I have the gmail notify utility in sys tray. It's ok and seems to work.
    There is a popmail service I downloaded last nite but haven't time to
    check out yet and another that lets you store stuff on gmail like
    windows web folders I suppose.
    I did a google search and found heaps of bits and pieces for it. You can
    even buy them (gmail accounts) on ebay for $5 odd LOL.

    HTH
    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 11, 2004
  11. JohnO

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:21:48 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >JohnO wrote:
    >>>yep... but I dont see why something couldn't be written to do it over
    >>>plain http... sure it would lack security, but that doesnt really matter
    >>>does it? It is only email anyway.

    >> Wouldn't necessarily be any more insecure than reading the mail in
    >> conventional fashion any way, would it?

    >dunno, I dont have a hotmail account to check it.
    >they might use https I suppose?

    Nope.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 11, 2004
  12. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Now if only I could set up hotmail with an auto responder/change of
    >>> address/forwarder I could move over permanently.

    >> I'm moving a lot of my correspondence over to gmail because I like
    >> the way it keeps exchanges/conversations in a quasi-threaded format.
    >> Easy to find what has been said etc.

    > errr, then is it wise to use a beta service?

    Probably not but the only people who've accused me of being wise before were
    sadly mistaken.

    >> My only niggle is the tech within dislikes the fact that I can't
    >> make a back-up. I often find myself going back over emails to find
    >> out things (that's why I like the way gmail groups messages) and
    >> would hate to lose my whole 'database'.

    > rinse and repeat my comment above.

    Ewww! It did need a good rinse.
    --