    JonC Guest

    Anybody want an invite ?
    Mail me, two left.
    JonC, Jan 23, 2005

    Gloria Goitre, Jan 23, 2005

    Nick, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark, Jan 23, 2005

    JB Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    news:8IWId.1618$...

    > "JonC" <> wrote in message
    > news:41f42771$0$45189$...
    >> Anybody want an invite ?
    >> Mail me, two left.
    >>

    > Na, keep ya spyware.

    How can a web page be spyware? I guess you mean the "context sensitive"
    ads. It never occurred to me that other web mail providers didn't do that
    sort of thing.
    JB, Jan 24, 2005
  6. JB wrote:

    > "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >> "JonC" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anybody want an invite ?
    >>> Mail me, two left.

    >> Na, keep ya spyware.

    > How can a web page be spyware? I guess you mean the "context sensitive"
    > ads. It never occurred to me that other web mail providers didn't do that
    > sort of thing.

    What other ones place spam inside the email? (Or am I mistaken about
    Gmail doing this?)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Upgrading From IE http://blinkynet.net/comp/upgrade.html
    Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 24, 2005
  7. JonC

    Vanguard Guest

    "JonC" <> wrote in message
    > Anybody want an invite ?
    > Mail me, two left.

    So, just send the invites to http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php if you
    were really interested in disbursing your invites rather then possibly
    being a spammer phishing for valid e-mail addresses. Then you don't
    have to wait for someone to e-mail you asking for an invite.

    For signees, and even when asking isnoop for an invite, and if you are
    concerned about an unknown party getting your true e-mail address, use
    an e-mail alias to get the invite. I use Sneakemail.com for e-mail
    aliases (the freebie account has lowered quotas but they are still high
    enough for personal use).

    I only got a Gmail account because of its purported POP3 access to my
    e-mails. However, Google hasn't fixed their POP3 access yet and it
    still has some severe problems. See
    http://www.gmailforums.com/index.php?showtopic=8066. By using POP3
    access, I would never have to see the ads (and is why I use YahooPOPs
    for POP3-like access to freebie Yahoo mail accounts). The only time I
    see any ads (that my firewall's web content filtering doesn't eliminate)
    is when I have to use their webmail interface to add or change rules.
    Oh, now that I mention rules, Gmail sucks for rules and another reason I
    won't be using my Gmail accounts until they get a decent set of rules.
    Plus you can NOT disable Gmail's spam filter if you decide that you
    don't care for their level of false positives and would prefer to employ
    your own anti-spam solution.
    Vanguard, Jan 24, 2005
  8. JonC

    JB Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > JB wrote:
    >
    >> "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >>> "JonC" <> wrote in message

    >>> Na, keep ya spyware.

    >> How can a web page be spyware? I guess you mean the "context sensitive"
    >> ads. It never occurred to me that other web mail providers didn't do
    >> that
    >> sort of thing.

    > What other ones place spam inside the email? (Or am I mistaken about
    > Gmail doing this?)
    >
    > --

    What I meant was that it never occurred to me other free web mail services
    didn't "aggregate" data. Maybe they don't, but if you want privacy PGP is
    your friend anything else is just more or less trust.

    Having said that, Yahoo certainly target ads accordingly. "Automobile"
    JB, Jan 24, 2005