    completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    if I do use a library to check my mail?
    Peter Clements, Jan 20, 2010

  2. Peter Clements

    Dan C Guest

    On 2010-01-20, Peter Clements wrote:
    > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    You'll have to format your hard drive to prevent this from happening.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.
    Dan C, Jan 20, 2010

  3. Peter Clements

    VanguardLH Guest

    Peter Clements wrote:

    > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    Tell the library about the problem. They need to use restore-state software
    to revert the host back to a state prior to anyone using it, like using
    Microsoft's SteadyState, Returnil, or similar. They may actually use
    similar software but the user before you forgot to logout of their session.

    Make sure to select the option to NOT remember you. /UN/CHECK the "Stay
    signed in" option on the login page. Always LOGOUT of your account(s).
    Closing all instances of the web browser may not result in logging you out.

    Purge the TIF folder just before you leave. Use the options in the
    unindentified web browser to clear its TIF folder.
    VanguardLH, Jan 20, 2010
  4. Peter Clements

    VanguardLH Guest

    http://www.gmail.com automatically redirects to the https login page.
    VanguardLH, Jan 20, 2010
  5. Peter Clements

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:17:42 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

    > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    don't use the library for email.
    richard, Jan 20, 2010
  6. Peter Clements

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jan 20, 8:22 pm, Dan C <> wrote:
    > On 2010-01-20, Peter Clements wrote:
    >
    > > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    > > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    > > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail!  I never
    > > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    > > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    > You'll have to format your hard drive to prevent this from happening.
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    > "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.
    > Usenet Improvement Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

    <grin> Go for it, Dan C.
    sandy58, Jan 20, 2010
  7. On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:17:42 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:

    > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    you wouldn't happen to remember what browser the library uses?
    Tommy McClure, Jan 20, 2010
  8. On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:02:20 -0600, Tommy McClure wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:17:42 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:
    >
    >> In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    >> my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    >> completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    >> checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    >> if I do use a library to check my mail?

    > you wouldn't happen to remember what browser the library uses?

    for instance, when I use Firefox, it fills in my user, password, but does
    not go ahead, I can type over whatever they put in there. Opera is similar.
    Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 does not fill in the info. I don't know what
    Chrome, or Mozilla do, but it often makes a difference
    Tommy McClure, Jan 20, 2010
  9. On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:02:20 -0600, Tommy McClure
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:17:42 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:
    >
    >> In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    >> my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    >> completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    >> checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    >> if I do use a library to check my mail?

    >you wouldn't happen to remember what browser the library uses?

    No I am sorry but I didn't take that in. I was rather shaken by what
    had happened because I had planned to log in myself.
    Peter Clements, Jan 20, 2010
  10. On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:35:36 -0700, richard <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:17:42 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:
    >
    >> In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    >> my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    >> completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    >> checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    >> if I do use a library to check my mail?

    >don't use the library for email.

    Yes I learned that lesson today. Now I am wondering how many people
    have had phoney mails sent from communal computers.
    Peter Clements, Jan 21, 2010
  11. Peter Clements

    chuckcar Guest

    Peter Clements <> wrote in

    > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    Not clicking login until you've finished typing. And remove the
    checkmark for "remember my password".

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 21, 2010
  12. "Peter Clements" <> wrote in message
    > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    I'd tell the library about what happened.
    They need to tighten their set up so that details input in say "log in" and
    "password" aren't retained.
    I saw advice to purge cache and disable autocomplete but aren't those
    options disabled in library computers for .. heh .. security reasons?
    Isn't the option on somesuch site to tick "dont remember me" well doent that
    go to the site but details can still be kept locally, as the OP saw?
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Jan 21, 2010
  13. Peter Clements

    Fred Guest

    > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    Sounds like the previous user didn't log out. Don't select 'remeber
    password' and always log out if on a public or borrowed computer and you
    won't have any trouble. Try logging back in if you want to test it.
    Fred, Jan 21, 2010
  14. Peter Clements

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 21/01/2010 00:00, Peter Clements wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:35:36 -0700, richard<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:17:42 +0000, Peter Clements wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    >>> my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    >>> completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail! I never
    >>> checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    >>> if I do use a library to check my mail?

    >> don't use the library for email.

    > Yes I learned that lesson today. Now I am wondering how many people
    > have had phoney mails sent from communal computers.

    There are at least two in here that I know of that it has happened to,
    richard and chuckcar, nobody could post such stupidity out of choice.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 21, 2010
  15. Peter Clements

    Dan C Guest

    On 2010-01-20, sandy58 wrote:
    > On Jan 20, 8:22 pm, Dan C <> wrote:
    >> On 2010-01-20, Peter Clements wrote:
    >>
    >> > In the library today I went to check my mail. I got the page to enter
    >> > my name and password but as I went to put my details in it auto
    >> > completed the sign in and opened somebody else's mail!  I never
    >> > checked my mail after that but how can I prevent that happening to me
    >> > if I do use a library to check my mail?

    >> You'll have to format your hard drive to prevent this from happening.

    ><grin> Go for it, Dan C.

    Huh? I'm not the one with the issue, dimwit. Why would I "go for it"?

    Sheesh.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.
    Dan C, Jan 22, 2010