gmail pop timeout

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by T, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. T

    T Guest

    Hi There,

    Ever since I got my gmail account I have experienced difficulty
    downloading largish emails.

    I used mozilla 1.7.x and thought that upgrading to ThunderBird would
    sort out the issue but no luck...

    For the record I use a dial-up Internet connection and it is rather
    often that downloading emails of 1+MB size can take 10mins or more.

    I narrowed the options down to the following.
    - Gmail uses secure POP
    - Whenever a largish message arrives for my gmail account, the
    download stops without warning after approx 10minutes without warning.
    No matter how many times I retry the same thing happens.
    - The problem seems to be a timeout after approx 10 mins of SSL POP
    - I then have log on to gmail, download manually and delete the message
    from inbox as well as trash.

    For the record:
    I use W2k SP4 operating system.
    When I use M$ Outlook or Outlook Xpress, it works just fine.
    The secure (gmail)SMTP server gives no problem.

    Is this a known issue ? will there be a patch ?

    Much thanks
    T, Nov 16, 2005