    months. I've tried deleting and re-adding the account but same thing
    happens. Any ideas?
    TIA

    Vincent Vega, Mar 10, 2006

  2. In article <_J9Qf.5265$>, says...
    > Anyone else having trouble gettinng their Gmail via POP. I have it
    > configured through Outlook but it's stopped responding. I know there is new
    > mail there but it won't download it. It's been working fine for the last 6
    > months. I've tried deleting and re-adding the account but same thing
    > happens. Any ideas?
    > TIA

    No problems here at all, I'm picking up 3 gmail accounts using Mercury and
    stunnel.

    Try downloading some other (REAL) email program that supports ssl and see how
    that fares - you might also want to check that the gmail account is still pop
    enabled. Maybe something corrupted the setting on your account.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Mar 10, 2006

  3. Vincent Vega

    Vincent Vega Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_J9Qf.5265$>,
    > says...
    >> Anyone else having trouble gettinng their Gmail via POP. I have it
    >> configured through Outlook but it's stopped responding. I know there is
    >> new
    >> mail there but it won't download it. It's been working fine for the last
    >> 6
    >> months. I've tried deleting and re-adding the account but same thing
    >> happens. Any ideas?
    >> TIA
    >>

    > No problems here at all, I'm picking up 3 gmail accounts using Mercury and
    > stunnel.
    >
    > Try downloading some other (REAL) email program that supports ssl and see
    > how
    > that fares - you might also want to check that the gmail account is still
    > pop
    > enabled. Maybe something corrupted the setting on your account.
    >
    > h.t.h. -Peter

    > firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    Thanks. I'm using Outlook 2003 which is a real email program and does
    support SSL.

    Looks like the issue may be at the Gmail end. Having dug around on google
    groups it appears many other people are experiencing the same problem at the
    moment. Might just ride it out and hopefully it'll come right soon.

    Vincent Vega, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Vincent Vega

    EMB Guest

    Re:Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    Vincent Vega wrote:

    > Thanks. I'm using Outlook 2003 which is a real email program

    ROTFLMAO

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Vincent Vega

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Vincent Vega wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. I'm using Outlook 2003 which is a real email program

    > ROTFLMAO

    Its much better then some of the rough turds I have seen linux people using at
    times :)

    I found the one in the mozilla suite to be the only one that would handle
    100000+ mails in a folder fine tho, so I use that for mailing lists and outlook
    for the real emails since I can email tasks to people and get meeting
    attendances back from them etc.

    Richard, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Vincent Vega

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:27:39 +1300, EMB <> exclaimed:

    >Vincent Vega wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. I'm using Outlook 2003 which is a real email program

    >ROTFLMAO

    Man, there are some idiots around here...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Vincent Vega

    Fishb8 Guest

    "Vincent Vega" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <_J9Qf.5265$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Anyone else having trouble gettinng their Gmail via POP. I have it
    >>> configured through Outlook but it's stopped responding. I know there is
    >>> new
    >>> mail there but it won't download it. It's been working fine for the last
    >>> 6
    >>> months. I've tried deleting and re-adding the account but same thing
    >>> happens. Any ideas?
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >> No problems here at all, I'm picking up 3 gmail accounts using Mercury
    >> and
    >> stunnel.
    >>
    >> Try downloading some other (REAL) email program that supports ssl and see
    >> how
    >> that fares - you might also want to check that the gmail account is still
    >> pop
    >> enabled. Maybe something corrupted the setting on your account.
    >>
    >> h.t.h. -Peter
    >>
    >> --
    >> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    > Thanks. I'm using Outlook 2003 which is a real email program and does
    > support SSL.
    >
    > Looks like the issue may be at the Gmail end. Having dug around on google
    > groups it appears many other people are experiencing the same problem at
    > the moment. Might just ride it out and hopefully it'll come right soon.

    I use OE and I'm receiving my Gmail stuff ok.

    Fishb8, Mar 10, 2006
  8. Vincent Vega

    MarkH Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:27:39 +1300, EMB <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Vincent Vega wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks. I'm using Outlook 2003 which is a real email program

    >>ROTFLMAO

    > Man, there are some idiots around here...

    I have to agree. On this thread one person has suggested ditching Outlook
    for a 'real' E-Mail client and another has indicated laughter at the
    suggestion that Outlook IS a real mail client. In my opinion this
    identifies these 2 people as idiots.

    Anyone that thinks that because they don't like Outlook makes it not a real
    E-Mail client has got to be a bit on the ignorant side.

    I have been using Outlook 2003 for over 2 years without a problem, before
    that I used Outlook XP without a problem and before that Outlook 2000. The
    one I would not use was Outlook 97 - that was a steaming pile!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 10, 2006
  9. Vincent Vega

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:32:01 GMT, MarkH <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    >>>ROTFLMAO

    >> Man, there are some idiots around here...

    >I have to agree. On this thread one person has suggested ditching Outlook
    >for a 'real' E-Mail client and another has indicated laughter at the
    >suggestion that Outlook IS a real mail client. In my opinion this
    >identifies these 2 people as idiots.
    >
    >Anyone that thinks that because they don't like Outlook makes it not a real
    >E-Mail client has got to be a bit on the ignorant side.
    >
    >I have been using Outlook 2003 for over 2 years without a problem, before
    >that I used Outlook XP without a problem and before that Outlook 2000. The
    >one I would not use was Outlook 97 - that was a steaming pile!

    Exactly. The prejudices of some people here are really quite
    remarkable. Usually it's borne from ignorance.

    eg. ever tried to use Pegasus (buggy, I know) or Eudora in a full
    Exchange environment? It'll work, but not nearly as well as Outlook.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 10, 2006
  10. Vincent Vega

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Exactly. The prejudices of some people here are really quite
    > remarkable. Usually it's borne from ignorance.
    >
    > eg. ever tried to use Pegasus (buggy, I know) or Eudora in a full
    > Exchange environment? It'll work, but not nearly as well as Outlook.

    I'll grant you that Outlook is very good in an Exchange environment.
    But as a general email client it isn't standards compliant and doesn't
    necessarily play nicely with mail servers other than Exchange.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 11, 2006
  11. Vincent Vega

    RJ Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    In article <dut6kt$gq0$>, says...
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    > > Exactly. The prejudices of some people here are really quite
    > > remarkable. Usually it's borne from ignorance.
    > >
    > > eg. ever tried to use Pegasus (buggy, I know) or Eudora in a full
    > > Exchange environment? It'll work, but not nearly as well as Outlook.

    > I'll grant you that Outlook is very good in an Exchange environment.
    > But as a general email client it isn't standards compliant and doesn't
    > necessarily play nicely with mail servers other than Exchange.

    We use it with IMAP servers. It really sucks because it insists that
    sent messages go into the PST instead of using a Sent Messages folder on
    the server.

    Consequently I prefer to use Thunderbird at work.

    RJ, Mar 11, 2006
  12. Vincent Vega

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:49:28 +1300, RJ <> exclaimed:

    >In article <dut6kt$gq0$>, says...
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>
    >> > Exactly. The prejudices of some people here are really quite
    >> > remarkable. Usually it's borne from ignorance.
    >> >
    >> > eg. ever tried to use Pegasus (buggy, I know) or Eudora in a full
    >> > Exchange environment? It'll work, but not nearly as well as Outlook.

    >> I'll grant you that Outlook is very good in an Exchange environment.
    >> But as a general email client it isn't standards compliant and doesn't
    >> necessarily play nicely with mail servers other than Exchange.

    >We use it with IMAP servers. It really sucks because it insists that
    >sent messages go into the PST instead of using a Sent Messages folder on
    >the server.

    Yeah, we had exactly the same problem a while ago. I think we got
    around it by changing something (may have been a rule?), but it was a
    nasty hack.

    If you really want to know, I can scour our documentation, and find
    what we did?

    Fred Dagg, Mar 11, 2006
  13. Vincent Vega

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:46:44 +1300, EMB <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> Exactly. The prejudices of some people here are really quite
    >> remarkable. Usually it's borne from ignorance.
    >>
    >> eg. ever tried to use Pegasus (buggy, I know) or Eudora in a full
    >> Exchange environment? It'll work, but not nearly as well as Outlook.

    >I'll grant you that Outlook is very good in an Exchange environment.
    >But as a general email client it isn't standards compliant and doesn't
    >necessarily play nicely with mail servers other than Exchange.

    You raise an interesting point. I imagine you are talking about HTML
    email, and MS's crappy implementation?

    I've actually changed my mind somewhat over the last few months about
    this, and my thinking is kind of along the lines of, if one company's
    product is used by 80-90% of the market, surely they are the ones that
    should be deciding what format is used with their product?

    I know it's not a popular way of looking at it, and it's not a troll,
    but what do you think?

    Fred Dagg, Mar 11, 2006
  14. Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    T'was the Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:42:56 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    <> saying something like this:

    >I've actually changed my mind somewhat over the last few months about
    >this, and my thinking is kind of along the lines of, if one company's
    >product is used by 80-90% of the market, surely they are the ones that
    >should be deciding what format is used with their product?

    I think they have an important say, but the most popular idea isn't
    always the best.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 11, 2006
  15. Vincent Vega

    RJ Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    In article <>,
    says...
    > T'was the Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:42:56 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    > >I've actually changed my mind somewhat over the last few months about
    > >this, and my thinking is kind of along the lines of, if one company's
    > >product is used by 80-90% of the market, surely they are the ones that
    > >should be deciding what format is used with their product?

    > I think they have an important say, but the most popular idea isn't
    > always the best.

    Popular? It is what people use and it works, that isn't a way of gauging
    popularity as relatively few would have insight into the merits of
    different systems.

    RJ, Mar 11, 2006
  16. Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    T'was the Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:15:13 +1300 when I remembered RJ
    <> saying something like this:

    >> I think they have an important say, but the most popular idea isn't
    >> always the best.

    >Popular? It is what people use and it works, that isn't a way of gauging
    >popularity as relatively few would have insight into the merits of
    >different systems.

    Popular, see http://www.answers.com/popular&r=67.

    Just because a system is a popular doesn't mean they have to
    understand it, just that it's accepted by or prevalent among the
    people in general.

    Either way, I'm not a fan of locking people into products for the sake
    of locking people into products. I'm more of a fan of a technology
    becoming more popular over a rival technology because it is a superior
    solution (don't hijack my thread tea cup with your linux propaganda)
    technically and socially.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 11, 2006
  17. In article <_J9Qf.5265$>,
    "Vincent Vega" <> wrote:

    > Anyone else having trouble gettinng their Gmail via POP. I have it
    > configured through Outlook but it's stopped responding. I know there is new
    > mail there but it won't download it. It's been working fine for the last 6
    > months. I've tried deleting and re-adding the account but same thing
    > happens. Any ideas?

    I just checked mine and it's just fine. However, I may be using a
    different way of retrieving Gmail via POP. I set my Gmail to
    automatically forward all incoming mail to my iHug account. A ms sent
    from Mail.app (OSX) to Gmail was available for pickup at iHug in about a
    minute.

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Mar 11, 2006
  18. Vincent Vega

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:10:26 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> exclaimed:

    >T'was the Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:42:56 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>I've actually changed my mind somewhat over the last few months about
    >>this, and my thinking is kind of along the lines of, if one company's
    >>product is used by 80-90% of the market, surely they are the ones that
    >>should be deciding what format is used with their product?

    >I think they have an important say, but the most popular idea isn't
    >always the best.

    Whilst that is true, I'm thinking that, quite aside from whether
    Outlook and OE are the "best", and quite apart from the pros and cons,
    and whether people should be using them or not, the fact is, most
    people do.

    Now, if most people use a product, surely the creator of this product
    is in a better position to decide the format that the product should
    use, rather than a bunch of people claiming to be the "standards
    organisation"? I mean, really, these people aren't the ISO.

    It's a tough one. I do actually believe in standards, and I think the
    w3c standards are a good thing. However, purely academically, what is
    wrong with Microsoft setting the standards?

    Fred Dagg, Mar 11, 2006
  19. Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    T'was the Sun, 12 Mar 2006 03:08:49 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    <> saying something like this:

    >It's a tough one. I do actually believe in standards, and I think the
    >w3c standards are a good thing. However, purely academically, what is
    >wrong with Microsoft setting the standards?

    Same problem with businesses setting laws I guess.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 12, 2006
  20. Vincent Vega

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Funniest statement of 2006 (was Gmail POP access)

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:20:47 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> exclaimed:

    >T'was the Sun, 12 Mar 2006 03:08:49 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>It's a tough one. I do actually believe in standards, and I think the
    >>w3c standards are a good thing. However, purely academically, what is
    >>wrong with Microsoft setting the standards?

    >Same problem with businesses setting laws I guess.

    Hmm, one could argue that the government is simply a big business.
    That aside, however, the government (in most countries) is an elected
    body.

    And anyway, we're really talking about different things. Speaking to
    your business/government example, it is akin to the government
    legislating what font people can produce books with.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 12, 2006