    problem and also has a secure smtp service. Looks really good.

    BTW No adds in the poped email either.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Collector»NZ

    Mike Dee Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in
    news::

    > BTW No adds in the poped email either.

    I expect the Pope doesn't need to advertise.

    --
    D.
    Mike Dee, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Collector»NZ

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote in
    >

    >>BTW No adds in the poped email either.

    > I expect the Pope doesn't need to advertise.

    LOL

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Collector»NZ

    JohnO Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Just enable pop collection on my GMAIL account and it is good, works no
    > problem and also has a secure smtp service. Looks really good.
    >
    > BTW No adds in the poped email either.
    >

    > --
    > >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    > | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    > "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    > Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number

    Sweet - and it still acts as a repository for all mail send and recieved
    through pop/smtp!
    JohnO, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Collector»NZ wrote:
    <snip>

    > BTW No adds in the poped email either.

    how long do you think that will last?
    Nathan Mercer, Nov 19, 2004
  6. Collector»NZ

    Joy Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> BTW No adds in the poped email either.

    > how long do you think that will last?

    I'm impressed as well. They said they had no plans to charge.
    Joy
    Joy, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Joy wrote:
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Collector»NZ wrote:
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>>BTW No adds in the poped email either.

    >>how long do you think that will last?

    > I'm impressed as well. They said they had no plans to charge.
    > Joy

    No need to charge when people click links (in the ads) that they can
    bill for
    Nathan Mercer, Nov 21, 2004
  8. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Joy wrote:
    >> "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> <snip>

    >>> how long do you think that will last?

    >> I'm impressed as well. They said they had no plans to charge.
    >> Joy

    > No need to charge when people click links (in the ads) that they can
    > bill for

    Hey, you either charge a massive up-front price (Microsoft) for your
    software/services or you meet the expenses by including advertising.

    I'm a little dissapointed in you Nathan, I didn't think you sank as low as
    rubbishing competitors products. Sign of the times huh? MS feeling the
    squeeze?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 21, 2004
  9. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>I'm impressed as well. They said they had no plans to charge.
    >>>Joy

    >>No need to charge when people click links (in the ads) that they can
    >>bill for

    > Hey, you either charge a massive up-front price (Microsoft) for your
    > software/services or you meet the expenses by including advertising.
    > I'm a little dissapointed in you Nathan, I didn't think you sank as low as
    > rubbishing competitors products. Sign of the times huh? MS feeling the
    > squeeze?

    Personally I kinda agree with Nathan... I think Gmail is fairly over rated.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 21, 2004
  10. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> No need to charge when people click links (in the ads) that they can
    >>> bill for

    >> Hey, you either charge a massive up-front price (Microsoft) for your
    >> software/services or you meet the expenses by including advertising.
    >> I'm a little dissapointed in you Nathan, I didn't think you sank as
    >> low as rubbishing competitors products. Sign of the times huh? MS
    >> feeling the squeeze?

    > Personally I kinda agree with Nathan... I think Gmail is fairly over
    > rated.

    Feel free. Personally I like it. Also I've sent invites to people who
    previously used Yahoo or Hotmail and they are *very* pleased with Gmail. To
    the IT-types it may not be that great but to Joe Punter it's an excellent
    service.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 22, 2004
  11. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >> I'm impressed as well. They said they had no plans to charge.
    > >> Joy

    > > No need to charge when people click links (in the ads) that they can
    > > bill for

    > Hey, you either charge a massive up-front price (Microsoft) for your
    > software/services or you meet the expenses by including advertising.

    Hotmail is "free" too, just like Gmail

    > I'm a little dissapointed in you Nathan, I didn't think you sank as low as
    > rubbishing competitors products. Sign of the times huh? MS feeling the
    > squeeze?

    Where is the rubbishing a competitor's product?
    Sorry you are disappointed!

    Google's decision to offer POP at all breaks their advertising model.
    Someone has to pay for the 1000Mb storage space

    Who knows what they will do in the future, Gmail is still in beta and
    not prime-timed yet. Maybe adverts will be added to POP, maybe POP
    will become a charged service.

    Someone out there hates them http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/
    Nathan Mercer, Nov 22, 2004
  12. Collector»NZ

    JohnO Guest

    > > > No need to charge when people click links (in the ads) that they can
    > > > bill for

    > > Hey, you either charge a massive up-front price (Microsoft) for your
    > > software/services or you meet the expenses by including advertising.

    > Hotmail is "free" too, just like Gmail
    >
    > > I'm a little dissapointed in you Nathan, I didn't think you sank as low

    as
    > > rubbishing competitors products. Sign of the times huh? MS feeling the
    > > squeeze?

    > Where is the rubbishing a competitor's product?
    > Sorry you are disappointed!
    >
    > Google's decision to offer POP at all breaks their advertising model.
    > Someone has to pay for the 1000Mb storage space
    >
    > Who knows what they will do in the future, Gmail is still in beta and
    > not prime-timed yet. Maybe adverts will be added to POP, maybe POP
    > will become a charged service.
    >
    > Someone out there hates them http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

    Well, I'd never use gmail for communications related to my international
    drug, weapon and porn smuggling activities. However for general
    correspondence it's fine.As far as security is concerned, it's no worse than
    any other webmail or pop/smtp mail which are routinely sent without
    encryption.

    If anyone wants to keep their gmail usage secure they should encrypt with
    PGP or similar.
    JohnO, Nov 22, 2004
  13. JohnO said the following on 22/11/2004 16:30:
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>>Hey, you either charge a massive up-front price (Microsoft) for your
    >>>software/services or you meet the expenses by including advertising.

    >>Hotmail is "free" too, just like Gmail
    >>

    >>>I'm a little dissapointed in you Nathan, I didn't think you sank as low

    > as
    >
    >>>rubbishing competitors products. Sign of the times huh? MS feeling the
    >>>squeeze?

    >>Where is the rubbishing a competitor's product?
    >>Sorry you are disappointed!
    >>
    >>Google's decision to offer POP at all breaks their advertising model.
    >>Someone has to pay for the 1000Mb storage space
    >>
    >>Who knows what they will do in the future, Gmail is still in beta and
    >>not prime-timed yet. Maybe adverts will be added to POP, maybe POP
    >>will become a charged service.
    >>
    >>Someone out there hates them http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

    > Well, I'd never use gmail for communications related to my international
    > drug, weapon and porn smuggling activities. However for general
    > correspondence it's fine.As far as security is concerned, it's no worse than
    > any other webmail or pop/smtp mail which are routinely sent without
    > encryption.
    >
    > If anyone wants to keep their gmail usage secure they should encrypt with
    > PGP or similar.

    Actually gmail pop and smtp are ssl

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Nov 22, 2004
  14. Collector»NZ

    > JohnO said the following on 22/11/2004 16:30:
    > > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>"~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > >>Hotmail is "free" too, just like Gmail

    > > as

    > >>Where is the rubbishing a competitor's product?
    > >>Sorry you are disappointed!
    > >>
    > >>Google's decision to offer POP at all breaks their advertising model.
    > >>Someone has to pay for the 1000Mb storage space
    > >>
    > >>Who knows what they will do in the future, Gmail is still in beta and
    > >>not prime-timed yet. Maybe adverts will be added to POP, maybe POP
    > >>will become a charged service.
    > >>
    > >>Someone out there hates them http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

    > > Well, I'd never use gmail for communications related to my international
    > > drug, weapon and porn smuggling activities. However for general
    > > correspondence it's fine.As far as security is concerned, it's no worse

    than
    > > any other webmail or pop/smtp mail which are routinely sent without
    > > encryption.
    > >
    > > If anyone wants to keep their gmail usage secure they should encrypt

    with
    > > PGP or similar.
    > >

    > Actually gmail pop and smtp are ssl

    Yeah I know, but:
    1) I left gmail pop/smtp out of the discussion as I have a strong feeling
    that they will not always be free.
    2) ssl protects the message during transmission but gmail still get to store
    the unencrypted payload so the FBI could still subpoena that to find out
    about my progress in constructing a nuclear warhead out of paperclips and a
    piece of string.
    JohnO, Nov 22, 2004
  15. JohnO wrote:
    > 2) ssl protects the message during transmission but gmail still get to store
    > the unencrypted payload so the FBI could still subpoena that to find out
    > about my progress in constructing a nuclear warhead out of paperclips and a
    > piece of string.

    email me... I may be able to help you out with that. :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 22, 2004
  16. Collector»NZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Google's decision to offer POP at all breaks their advertising model.
    > Someone has to pay for the 1000Mb storage space

    It might only break it partially - I suspect that the majority of
    internet users are able to set up a webmail account, but unless their
    ISP handholds them through setting up POP account, most people would go
    a bit vague when faced with difficult technical questions like those
    required for adding a POP account to their mail client. And most users
    wouldn't even think POP was worthwhile, to them, Yahoo! or Hotmail *is*
    email.
    -=rjh=-, Nov 22, 2004
  17. In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 22 Nov 2004
    16:50:34 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...
    > JohnO said the following on 22/11/2004 16:30:
    > > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>"~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > >>Hotmail is "free" too, just like Gmail

    > > as

    > >>Where is the rubbishing a competitor's product?
    > >>Sorry you are disappointed!
    > >>
    > >>Google's decision to offer POP at all breaks their advertising model.
    > >>Someone has to pay for the 1000Mb storage space
    > >>
    > >>Who knows what they will do in the future, Gmail is still in beta and
    > >>not prime-timed yet. Maybe adverts will be added to POP, maybe POP
    > >>will become a charged service.
    > >>
    > >>Someone out there hates them http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

    > > Well, I'd never use gmail for communications related to my international
    > > drug, weapon and porn smuggling activities. However for general
    > > correspondence it's fine.As far as security is concerned, it's no worse than
    > > any other webmail or pop/smtp mail which are routinely sent without
    > > encryption.
    > >
    > > If anyone wants to keep their gmail usage secure they should encrypt with
    > > PGP or similar.
    > >

    > Actually gmail pop and smtp are ssl

    SSL only encrypts comms over the net, it doesn't encrypt the content
    which is stored on Gmail's servers
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 22, 2004
  18. Collector»NZ

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Nov 22, 2004
  19. Collector»NZ

    JohnO Guest

    > JohnO wrote:
    >> 2) ssl protects the message during transmission but gmail still get to
    >> store
    >> the unencrypted payload so the FBI could still subpoena that to find out
    >> about my progress in constructing a nuclear warhead out of paperclips and
    >> piece of string.

    > email me... I may be able to help you out with that. :)

    Psst... got any of the enriched paper clips?
    JohnO, Nov 22, 2004
  20. Collector»NZ

    JohnO Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > JohnO said the following on 22/11/2004 16:30:
    > > > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message

    low

    > > > as

    the

    > > > Well, I'd never use gmail for communications related to my

    international
    > > > drug, weapon and porn smuggling activities. However for general
    > > > correspondence it's fine.As far as security is concerned, it's no

    worse
    > than
    > > > any other webmail or pop/smtp mail which are routinely sent without
    > > > encryption.
    > > >
    > > > If anyone wants to keep their gmail usage secure they should encrypt

    > with
    > > > PGP or similar.
    > > >

    > > Actually gmail pop and smtp are ssl
    > >

    > Yeah I know, but:
    > 1) I left gmail pop/smtp out of the discussion as I have a strong feeling
    > that they will not always be free.

    Maybe I was a bit hasrsh there. From their website:
    "POP access is free for all Gmail users and we have no plans to charge. "

    I guess they'd have egg on their faces if they reneged on that.
    JohnO, Nov 22, 2004