    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Dec 5, 2008

  2. On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:20:36 GMT, Jim S <> wrote:

    >I have my email client set up to leave mail on my server for a couple of
    >days after reading as a backup. However I had lots of wmv files sent this
    >week and they filled up the puny 30?Mb allocated for webmail and further
    >mail started 'bouncing'.
    >However I realised that I can keep old mail in vast quantities on Gmail. (2
    >Gb?)
    >I have a domain address which I had redirected to my server - now I direct
    >it to Gmail which I have set up to _forward_ it to the server where I have
    >spam and virus settings.
    >I now find that I can set Gmail to send directly to Outlook (or any other
    >email client) without going through the server's mailbox and that Gmail
    >antivirus and spam settings are good.
    >Can anybody suggest an advantage or disadvantage of doing it that way?

    The advantage to me is that I can forward my gmail addresses to my
    Demon addresses and get Agent to file in the emails in whatever folder
    I want. No spam ever gets through the filters even though I make no
    effort to hide my addresses.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com

    Artificial neural networks applications.

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Dec 5, 2008

  3. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:04:08 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> However I realised that I can keep old mail in vast quantities on
    >> Gmail. (2 Gb?)

    > 7.2G
    >
    >> I have a domain address which I had redirected to my server - now I
    >> direct it to Gmail which I have set up to _forward_ it to the server
    >> where I have spam and virus settings.

    > Gmail can forward and can forward and keep the mail in gmail.
    >
    >> I now find that I can set Gmail to send directly to Outlook (or any
    >> other email client) without going through the server's mailbox and that
    >> Gmail antivirus and spam settings are good.

    > When you say 'send to ... email client' you mean pop or imap as opposed to
    > just using gmail's webmail. Gmail is more versatile than some other free
    > mails which provide only webmail access. There's a comparison of free
    > webmail services here
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers
    >
    >> Can anybody suggest an advantage or disadvantage of doing it that way?

    > One of my gmail accounts is configured to forward to another address and
    > keep the gmail on the gmail server. Mail which is handled in that way
    > gives me gmail webmail access to things like airline and rental car
    > confirmation numbers if I need to access that information using someone
    > else's computer while traveling.
    >
    > There are numerous advantages to IMAP for synchronizing your mail across
    > different computers and email clients' inboxes.

    Perhaps I'm not sure of the difference.
    Since changing I have Gmail set up to forward mail to my server address and
    keep a copy on Gmail inbox. My email client then just accepts the email is
    coming from my server.
    What is the difference if I then enter the Gmail settings into my client
    and stop 'telling' Gmail to forward to my server?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Dec 5, 2008
  4. Jim S

    Guest

    Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote:

    >The advantage to me is that I can forward my gmail addresses to my
    >Demon addresses and get Agent to file in the emails in whatever folder
    >I want. No spam ever gets through the filters even though I make no
    >effort to hide my addresses.

    Man I have to use Outlook Express to check my Gmail. You can see I'm
    using 1.93, it won't do the security thing.

    I have Agent 3.2 but never liked it, but will go that route if it will
    replace Outlook Express.
    --

    Untitled
    http://pics.livejournal.com/tongodeon/pic/0004xhys/