    attachment it works.

    Why is gmail blocking this file type from a non-gmail provider?
    Thanks!

    kritaly, Aug 17, 2005

  2. "kritaly" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have been trying to send files in .rar format from a non gmail
    > account to a gmail account and they keep coming back with this error:
    >
    > Failed; 5.3.4 (message too big for system)
    > - SMTP protocol diagnostic: 552 5.7.0 Illegal Attachment 59si4174689rnd
    >

    > The attachments are graphics files with ".mb" extension in the ".rar"
    > file. The latest was only 140kb.
    >
    > If I log on to my gmail account and upload the same file as an
    > attachment it works.
    >
    > Why is gmail blocking this file type from a non-gmail provider?
    > Thanks!

    Gmail is still in beta stage. Maybe they only have the resources for virus
    checking internal mail at the moment and so it's easier to just block
    external binary attachments while they get everything sorted. I doubt that
    this would be a permanent policy.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Aug 17, 2005

  3. kritaly

    Mike Easter Guest

    kritaly wrote:
    > I have been trying to send files in .rar format from a non gmail
    > account to a gmail account and they keep coming back with this error:
    >
    > Failed; 5.3.4 (message too big for system)
    > - SMTP protocol diagnostic: 552 5.7.0 Illegal Attachment
    > 59si4174689rnd
    >

    > The attachments are graphics files with ".mb" extension in the ".rar"
    > file. The latest was only 140kb.

    Gmail allows attachments up to its interpretation of 10 megs size.

    Some servers 'misinterpret' the nature of an attachment because of the
    MIME structure of the attachment. Sometimes the word 'application' in
    the MIME structure cause that misinterpretation. The server thinks that
    if the mime sez application that the attachment is an executable.

    > If I log on to my gmail account and upload the same file as an
    > attachment it works.

    Maybe the gmail account attaches the file differently than you are
    attaching it when you non-gmail.

    > Why is gmail blocking this file type from a non-gmail provider?

    There is a google groups gmail help discussion group

    Gmail Help Discussion
    Members: 53112
    Activity: High
    users alike. Ask questions, search or browse for answers, or lend a hand
    by sharing tips with other users.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 17, 2005
  4. kritaly

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On 17 Aug 2005 03:11:10 -0700, "kritaly" <> wrote:

    >I have been trying to send files in .rar format from a non gmail
    >account to a gmail account and they keep coming back with this error:
    >
    >Failed; 5.3.4 (message too big for system)
    >- SMTP protocol diagnostic: 552 5.7.0 Illegal Attachment 59si4174689rnd
    >

    >The attachments are graphics files with ".mb" extension in the ".rar"
    >file. The latest was only 140kb.
    >
    >If I log on to my gmail account and upload the same file as an
    >attachment it works.
    >
    >Why is gmail blocking this file type from a non-gmail provider?
    >Thanks!

    Change the extension or just send the .mb file.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og