    First 4 people

    Liz
    ps take the NOT out of email addy before emailing me ;]

    Liz, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Liz

    Liz Guest

    for the record, I have more than 4 now (you can stop emailing me)

    Liz

    Liz, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Liz wrote:
    > I have 4 invites to Gmail if anyone wants an invite.
    > First 4 people

    whats the big deal with g-mail anyway?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Liz

    JedMeister Guest

    1 gig free storage...reputable organisation.

    JedMeister, Jun 20, 2004
  5. JedMeister wrote:
    > 1 gig free storage...reputable organisation.

    oh.

    yay... I guess.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Liz

    frederick Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Liz wrote:
    > > I have 4 invites to Gmail if anyone wants an invite.
    > > First 4 people

    > whats the big deal with g-mail anyway?
    >
    > --

    Targeted context based advertising based on site, based on the text of
    your email messages. Should be a very big $ deal - if they get it off
    the ground.

    frederick, Jun 21, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz says...
    > Liz wrote:
    > > I have 4 invites to Gmail if anyone wants an invite.
    > > First 4 people

    > whats the big deal with g-mail anyway?

    1GB mailbox
    Searches your mail to give you context sensitive advertising

    For privacy concerns, the big mailbox size means people are more likely
    to leave their inboxes full of mail, which stays on the server

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 21, 2004
  8. In article <9aoBc.1954$>,
    says...
    > 1 gig free storage...reputable organisation.

    Not very reputable the way it is set up.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 21, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > Liz wrote:
    > > > I have 4 invites to Gmail if anyone wants an invite.
    > > > First 4 people

    > > whats the big deal with g-mail anyway?
    > >
    > > --

    > Targeted context based advertising based on site, based on the text of
    > your email messages. Should be a very big $ deal - if they get it off
    > the ground.

    There is already a state bill in California addressing the privacy
    concerns.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 21, 2004
  10. Liz

    JohnO Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in message
    > I have 4 invites to Gmail if anyone wants an invite.
    > First 4 people
    >
    > Liz
    > ps take the NOT out of email addy before emailing me ;]

    I wouldn't touch GMail with a barge pole. For a start they use a program to
    read your email and put context targeted adverts on banners next to it.

    Also, I believe that they never delete your email. It stays there forever. I
    don't like the privacy implications of this one bit.

    If you need email space try yahoo. It is free and you now get 100Mb. Some
    people have reported issues with it not sending but my wife's account there
    is working fine.

    Cheers,
    JohnO

    JohnO, Jun 21, 2004
  11. Liz

    frederick Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in
    > > message news:...
    > > >
    > > > whats the big deal with g-mail anyway?
    > > >
    > > > --

    > > Targeted context based advertising based on site, based on the text

    of
    > > your email messages. Should be a very big $ deal - if they get it

    off
    > > the ground.

    > There is already a state bill in California addressing the privacy
    > concerns.

    So Arnie really will save us all from SkyNet?

    frederick, Jun 21, 2004
  12. Liz

    JedMeister Guest

    Please expand, in what way?

    JedMeister, Jun 21, 2004
  13. Liz

    JedMeister Guest

    They don't force you to join.

    JedMeister, Jun 21, 2004
  14. Liz

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:10:42 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >> >
    >> > whats the big deal with g-mail anyway?
    >> >
    >> > --

    >> Targeted context based advertising based on site, based on the text of
    >> your email messages. Should be a very big $ deal - if they get it off
    >> the ground.

    >There is already a state bill in California addressing the privacy
    >concerns.

    Another reason to be thankful we live in nz.

    I say hay let them read it and market adds at my message, free 1G mail
    box! What will the big brother learn from my messages! nothing! I would
    not use it to email confidential information though, but might send a few
    jokes and bomb making recipes, oh I mean cookies, like afghans.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jun 21, 2004
  15. In article <hgrBc.2031$>,
    says...
    > Please expand, in what way?
    >
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <9aoBc.1954$>,
    > > says...
    > > > 1 gig free storage...reputable organisation.

    > > Not very reputable the way it is set up.

    The size of it encourages people not to delete their messages, so of
    course they are on the server all the time up to 1GB (which is massive),
    plus they search your email for advertising keywords. Not very private.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 21, 2004
  16. In article <thrBc.2033$>,
    says...
    > They don't force you to join.

    But they force me to use their service if I have to send mail to someone
    who is using a Gmail account.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 21, 2004
  17. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>They don't force you to join.

    > But they force me to use their service if I have to send mail to someone
    > who is using a Gmail account.

    no one is forcing you to reply or hit send.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 21, 2004
  18. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <hgrBc.2031$>,
    > says...
    >> Please expand, in what way?
    >>
    >> "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <9aoBc.1954$>,
    >>> says...
    >>>
    >>> Not very reputable the way it is set up.

    > The size of it encourages people not to delete their messages, so of
    > course they are on the server all the time up to 1GB (which is
    > massive), plus they search your email for advertising keywords. Not
    > very private.

    Would you consider Hotmail scanning emails and removing some HTML code, or
    Word automatically scanning documents to display wrong spellings also "Not
    very private"???

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jun 21, 2004
  19. In article <cb5k3b$bhk$>, says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > In article <hgrBc.2031$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Please expand, in what way?
    > >>
    > >> "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message

    > > The size of it encourages people not to delete their messages, so of
    > > course they are on the server all the time up to 1GB (which is
    > > massive), plus they search your email for advertising keywords. Not
    > > very private.

    > Would you consider Hotmail scanning emails and removing some HTML code, or
    > Word automatically scanning documents to display wrong spellings also "Not
    > very private"???

    Word is still in your PC. It doesn't forward the results to a 3rd party.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 21, 2004
  20. Liz

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >> Would you consider Hotmail scanning emails and removing some HTML
    >> code, or Word automatically scanning documents to display wrong
    >> spellings also "Not very private"???

    > Word is still in your PC. It doesn't forward the results to a 3rd
    > party.

    Obviously I have been smoking waaaaaay too much crack lately, otherwise I'd
    understand what the hell you are on about with this whole privacy thing. My
    understanding was that Gmail inserts ads into your email based on keywords
    scanned from the message body *by* *a* *machine*. In what way is that
    forwarding the results to a third party? The system actually seems pretty
    Goddamn private to me, given that your emails are scanned by a computer and
    not by a person. The only way privacy issues could arise would be if emails
    with certain keywords were flagged for human review (probably illegal
    without warning you first), or if the email database was sold (ditto) or
    stolen (which has nothing to do with how reputable Google is). When you use
    Google search, it brings up targeted ads. When you use Google mail, it
    brings up targeted ads. Only difference is that the ad engine is getting
    it's input from your email body instead of from your search query.

    Nik Coughin, Jun 21, 2004