Gmail accounts being disabled for no reason

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Jun 6, 2010.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Matty F, Jun 6, 2010

  2. Matty F

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 00:37:19 -0700, Matty F wrote:

    > I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been disabled,
    > for some imaginary problem detected by Google.
    >
    > http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-account-disabled-

    temporarily/13775/

    > Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a gmail
    > account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose everything.

    You'd be better getting your own domain and web-hosting arrangement. That
    way you not only get to choose exactly what you want your email addy to
    be, but you also get to take it with you anywhere in the world.

    So its not free, but you get much better control over how it works. :)

    Sweetpea, Jun 6, 2010

  3. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 6, 7:56 pm, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
    > > disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.

    > >http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-account-disabled-temporarily/13...

    > > Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
    > > gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
    > > everything.

    > Why loose everything, set it up as am imap account and have your local
    > machine and gmail synchronise with each other, I have 3 machines that
    > are all in sync.

    I'm quite happy with Yahoo and Hotmail. If Gmail is not reliable I'll
    be avoiding it.

    Matty F, Jun 6, 2010
  4. Matty F

    victor Guest

    On 6/06/2010 7:37 p.m., Matty F wrote:
    > I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
    > disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.
    >
    > http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-account-disabled-temporarily/13775/
    >
    > Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
    > gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
    > everything.

    I've got several I've had since they started, never had a problem.
    You can forward them to Yahoo or Hotmail to back up if you like, I
    forward my isp accounts to gmail for archiving and mobile access.
    gmail has a good search engine and it opens and saves attachments in
    google docs. Works as an imap server too.

    victor, Jun 6, 2010
  5. Matty F

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 6, 7:37 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    > I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
    > disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.
    >
    > http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-account-disabled-temporarily/13...
    >
    > Does anyone know  anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
    > gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
    > everything.

    It would not be surprising if someone tried to log into the account
    trying random passwords of there was some other unauthorised activity
    and Google automatically locked it pending re-verification. Gmail
    proides a means of seeing which IP logged in previously and if there
    are any concurrent logins.

    peterwn, Jun 6, 2010
  6. Matty F

    Enkidu Guest

    On 06/06/10 21:32, Matty F wrote:
    > On Jun 6, 7:56 pm, whoisthis<> wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> Matty F<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
    >>> disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.

    >>> http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-account-disabled-temporarily/13...

    >>> Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
    >>> gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
    >>> everything.

    >> Why loose everything, set it up as am imap account and have your local
    >> machine and gmail synchronise with each other, I have 3 machines that
    >> are all in sync.

    > I'm quite happy with Yahoo and Hotmail. If Gmail is not reliable I'll
    > be avoiding it.

    I've not had a problems in several years of GMail usage. Yahoo and
    Hotmail on the other hand have required me to "re-activate" my account
    several times. I do use GMail more than the other two though.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Jun 6, 2010
  7. Matty F

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > I've heard of a number of gmail users whose accounts have been
    > disabled, for some imaginary problem detected by Google.
    >
    > http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-account-disabled-temporarily/13775/
    >
    > Does anyone know anything about this? I was thinking of getting a
    > gmail account but maybe I won't bother. It's too risky to lose
    > everything.

    Had that happen when I made 3 new gmail accounts in quick sucession on
    the one browser.

    Richard, Jun 7, 2010