    particular URL to use to start this process?

    Regards,
    mon
    mon, Aug 19, 2006

  2. mon

    Fred Guest

    mon wrote:

    >Hi, I have a friend who would like to get a gmail account but I have
    >yet to figure out a way to "invite" someone to get a gmail account who
    >does not yet have a presence on the Internet (no e-mail at all).
    >
    >She would be using either my computer or the local library computer to
    >access her gmail account.
    >
    >Is there a way to help her to get an account? If so, is there a
    >particular URL to use to start this process?
    >
    >Regards,
    >mon

    Open up an account for that person at a throw away email service such
    as Hotmail, Yahoo and send the invitation to that address.
    Fred, Aug 19, 2006

  3. mon

    mon Guest

    Oh, is gmail not a free account place as well?
    hmmm...

    I know Yahoo won't work with my computer anymore as it always comes up
    sign in never as "open a new account" due to ATT being my internet
    provider.

    I guess I'll have to open hotmail for her then. But all this seems very
    lame to me. You have to open a mail account with a company you have
    chosen NOT to go with to get an account with a company you prefer to go
    with.

    Is there not any other answer?

    mon, Aug 20, 2006
  4. mon

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-19, Fred <> wrote:
    > mon wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I have a friend who would like to get a gmail account but I have
    >>yet to figure out a way to "invite" someone to get a gmail account who
    >>does not yet have a presence on the Internet (no e-mail at all).
    >>
    >>She would be using either my computer or the local library computer to
    >>access her gmail account.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to help her to get an account? If so, is there a
    >>particular URL to use to start this process?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>mon

    > Open up an account for that person at a throw away email service such
    > as Hotmail, Yahoo and send the invitation to that address.

    Or even more simply, use a free webmail address from anyone but Google and
    don't let Google get their sticky fingers into your friend's
    correspondence. There are plenty of alternatives (hundreds if not
    thousands): <http://search.ask.com/web?q=free+email&qsrc=0&o=0>. Your
    friend can sign up for any that take her fancy whenever she's on line. I
    suggest that you show her that search and help her to navigate around the
    results and make her own choices.

    A Gmail or Googlemail address is not required for posting to the Google
    Groups web interface to newsgroups.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 20, 2006
  5. mon

    Guest

    "mon" <> wrote:

    >Hi, I have a friend who would like to get a gmail account but I have
    >yet to figure out a way to "invite" someone to get a gmail account who
    >does not yet have a presence on the Internet (no e-mail at all).
    >
    >She would be using either my computer or the local library computer to
    >access her gmail account.
    >
    >Is there a way to help her to get an account? If so, is there a
    >particular URL to use to start this process?

    Thru a cell phone
    https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsMailSignup1

    --
    Free mobile gaming for all
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/18/free_mobile_games/
  6. mon

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I have 100 invites email me their email address and I will send them one.

    pcbutts1, Aug 20, 2006
  7. "mon" <> wrote in message
    > Oh, is gmail not a free account place as well?
    > hmmm...
    >
    > I know Yahoo won't work with my computer anymore as it always comes up
    > sign in never as "open a new account" due to ATT being my internet
    > provider.
    >
    > I guess I'll have to open hotmail for her then. But all this seems very
    > lame to me. You have to open a mail account with a company you have
    > chosen NOT to go with to get an account with a company you prefer to go
    > with.
    >
    > Is there not any other answer?

    The whole idea with the invites is to entice existing users of other
    services to use Gmail.

    If your friend is so lo-tech that she has never used email before (and
    assuming that she is over 12 or so) I don't actually think Gmail would be
    the best for her anyway.

    The interface is counter-intuitive in my opinion. The only real good things
    about Gmail is the large capacity and the POP3 access for me. It also has a
    very good spam filter.

    I use my Gmail account for things like support questions and forum message
    notifications, delivered through my email client (outlook express -
    thunderbird isn't that great, and doesn't support my hormail accounts).

    I suggest you just get her a Windows Live! Mail account, which is replacing
    Hotmail. It works very well, but the store capacity isn't as large as
    Gmail, I doubt it would really bother such a newbie for a long time.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Aug 20, 2006
  8. mon

    Fred Guest

    mon wrote:

    >Oh, is gmail not a free account place as well?
    >hmmm...

    Or open an account with Gmail and give her the user/password to access
    the account.

    Duh.

    >I know Yahoo won't work with my computer anymore as it always comes up
    >sign in never as "open a new account" due to ATT being my internet
    >provider.
    >
    >I guess I'll have to open hotmail for her then. But all this seems very
    >lame to me. You have to open a mail account with a company you have
    >chosen NOT to go with to get an account with a company you prefer to go
    >with.
    >
    >Is there not any other answer?

    See above, Einstein.

    haveaniceday.

    Fred, Aug 20, 2006
  9. mon

    Fred Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    >On 2006-08-19, Fred <> wrote:
    >> mon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, I have a friend who would like to get a gmail account but I have
    >>>yet to figure out a way to "invite" someone to get a gmail account who
    >>>does not yet have a presence on the Internet (no e-mail at all).
    >>>
    >>>She would be using either my computer or the local library computer to
    >>>access her gmail account.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to help her to get an account? If so, is there a
    >>>particular URL to use to start this process?
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>mon

    >> Open up an account for that person at a throw away email service such
    >> as Hotmail, Yahoo and send the invitation to that address.

    >Or even more simply, use a free webmail address from anyone but Google and
    >don't let Google get their sticky fingers into your friend's
    >correspondence. There are plenty of alternatives (hundreds if not
    >thousands): <http://search.ask.com/web?q=free+email&qsrc=0&o=0>. Your
    >friend can sign up for any that take her fancy whenever she's on line. I
    >suggest that you show her that search and help her to navigate around the
    >results and make her own choices.
    >
    >A Gmail or Googlemail address is not required for posting to the Google
    >Groups web interface to newsgroups.

    I would never use Gmail for anything personal, such as receiving rebate
    information with my name plastered somewhere in the body of that
    message. Just try to remember that everything on Google's Servers will
    be archived for all eternity.

    Take some time to read this page:

    http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/
    Fred, Aug 20, 2006
  10. mon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    mon wrote:
    > Hi, I have a friend who would like to get a gmail account but I have
    > yet to figure out a way to "invite" someone to get a gmail account who
    > does not yet have a presence on the Internet (no e-mail at all).
    >
    > I know Yahoo won't work with my computer anymore as it always comes up
    > sign in never as "open a new account" due to ATT being my internet
    > provider.

    I believe YOU have to log out of Yahoo before you can create new accounts. I
    have a friend who comes over to use my computer, and both of us use Yahoo.
    If I log out first, then he can log in.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 20, 2006
  11. mon

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-20, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > mon wrote:
    >> Hi, I have a friend who would like to get a gmail account but I have
    >> yet to figure out a way to "invite" someone to get a gmail account who
    >> does not yet have a presence on the Internet (no e-mail at all).
    >>
    >> I know Yahoo won't work with my computer anymore as it always comes up
    >> sign in never as "open a new account" due to ATT being my internet
    >> provider.

    > I believe YOU have to log out of Yahoo before you can create new accounts. I
    > have a friend who comes over to use my computer, and both of us use Yahoo.
    > If I log out first, then he can log in.

    Here in the UK I have two Yahoo email accounts; one that I set up to
    replace my Operamail address if/when that got 'spammed out' (which it
    hasn't in more than 5 years), the other as a result of an ISP handing over
    their email service to Yahoo. I can log into either or neither if I go to
    www.yahoo.co.uk; I expect the US and other Yahoo sites would work in the
    same way.

    (ps - I just discovered that my 'Whiskers' Yahoo account is 'no longer
    active' as I haven't logged in for months. Fair enough).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 20, 2006
  12. "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    > (ps - I just discovered that my 'Whiskers' Yahoo account is 'no longer
    > active' as I haven't logged in for months. Fair enough).

    What happens when you try to email that address? Does it bounce back?

    I am trying to email somebody that I haven't seen for a while. I am getting
    no reply. I want to know whether the address may be unused now, or she
    might be on holiday or something. Maybe she's even ignoring me. But I need
    to know. Her's is a Hotmail address though.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Aug 20, 2006
  13. mon

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-20, Synapse Syndrome <> wrote:

    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> (ps - I just discovered that my 'Whiskers' Yahoo account is 'no longer
    >> active' as I haven't logged in for months. Fair enough).
    >>

    > What happens when you try to email that address? Does it bounce back?

    I think so.

    > I am trying to email somebody that I haven't seen for a while. I am getting
    > no reply. I want to know whether the address may be unused now, or she
    > might be on holiday or something. Maybe she's even ignoring me. But I need
    > to know. Her's is a Hotmail address though.
    >
    > ss.

    If the account is still 'active' then you might not get any bounces until
    the 'inbox' is 'full' - and possibly not even then. If your emails are
    getting caught by a spam-trap or a filter, then you are just wasting your
    time trying.

    If you are concerned about someone's welfare then you could try contacting
    the emergency services, if all else fails.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 20, 2006
  14. mon

    Vanguard Guest

    "mon" <> wrote in message
    > Oh, is gmail not a free account place as well?
    > hmmm...

    Exactly. As you have already stated in your original post, Gmail is
    an INVITE e-mail service. Is it real rocket science for your friend
    to open a freebie Hotmail or Yahoo account to get your invite (or for
    you do to it for them)?
    Vanguard, Aug 20, 2006