Glossary builder needed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Murgi, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Murgi

    Murgi Guest

    Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation projects, therefore
    I am looking either for a freeware, shareware or commercial software that
    can do that easily.
    For example, right now I have an English manual that deals with dental equipment.
    The German reference material has been done by a dentist which is of excellent
    quality, and Ifd like to produce an upgradable English-German dictionary.
    It would also be nice if this dictionary can be reversed and serve as German-English
    dictionary.

    The format shall look like this one:

    Obturator Verschlussprothese
    Eccentric occlusion azentrische Okklusion
    Rubber dam holder Kofferdamhalter

    Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The software is
    supposed to display the expressions in alphabetical order.

    Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I might use
    MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would be a good choice since
    I can create two columns and start right away. Can Excel sort the left column
    alphabetically and integrate the right column accordingly? I have never done
    anything like that in Excel nor in MS Word.
    I am hoping for a helping hand in this matter.

    With kind regards,
    Murgi

    Murgi, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Murgi

    samuel Guest

    "Murgi" <RP0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in

    > Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation
    > projects, therefore I am looking either for a freeware,
    > shareware or commercial software that can do that easily.
    > For example, right now I have an English manual that deals
    > with dental equipment. The German reference material has been
    > done by a dentist which is of excellent quality, and Ifd like
    > to produce an upgradable English-German dictionary. It would
    > also be nice if this dictionary can be reversed and serve as
    > German-English dictionary.
    >
    > The format shall look like this one:
    >
    > Obturator Verschlussprothese
    > Eccentric occlusion azentrische
    > Okklusion Rubber dam holder
    > Kofferdamhalter
    >

    > Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The
    > software is supposed to display the expressions in
    > alphabetical order.
    >
    > Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I
    > might use MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would
    > be a good choice since I can create two columns and start
    > right away. Can Excel sort the left column alphabetically and
    > integrate the right column accordingly?

    yes

    microsoft.public.excel

    samuel, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Murgi

    Brian G. Guest

    "samuel" <> wrote in message
    > "Murgi" <RP0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in
    >

    > > Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation
    > > projects, therefore I am looking either for a freeware,
    > > shareware or commercial software that can do that easily.
    > > For example, right now I have an English manual that deals
    > > with dental equipment. The German reference material has been
    > > done by a dentist which is of excellent quality, and Ifd like
    > > to produce an upgradable English-German dictionary. It would
    > > also be nice if this dictionary can be reversed and serve as
    > > German-English dictionary.
    > >
    > > The format shall look like this one:
    > >
    > > Obturator Verschlussprothese
    > > Eccentric occlusion azentrische
    > > Okklusion Rubber dam holder
    > > Kofferdamhalter
    > >

    > > Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The
    > > software is supposed to display the expressions in
    > > alphabetical order.
    > >
    > > Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I
    > > might use MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would
    > > be a good choice since I can create two columns and start
    > > right away. Can Excel sort the left column alphabetically and
    > > integrate the right column accordingly?

    > yes
    >
    > microsoft.public.excel

    Or by using tables in Word

    Brian G., Dec 4, 2004
  4. Murgi

    Richard Guest

    Murgi wrote:

    > Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation projects,
    > therefore I am looking either for a freeware, shareware or commercial
    > software that can do that easily.
    > For example, right now I have an English manual that deals with dental
    > equipment. The German reference material has been done by a dentist which
    > is of excellent quality, and Ifd like to produce an upgradable
    > English-German dictionary. It would also be nice if this dictionary can
    > be reversed and serve as German-English dictionary.

    > The format shall look like this one:

    > Obturator Verschlussprothese
    > Eccentric occlusion azentrische Okklusion
    > Rubber dam holder Kofferdamhalter

    > Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The software is
    > supposed to display the expressions in alphabetical order.

    > Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I might use
    > MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would be a good choice since
    > I can create two columns and start right away. Can Excel sort the left
    > column alphabetically and integrate the right column accordingly? I have
    > never done anything like that in Excel nor in MS Word.
    > I am hoping for a helping hand in this matter.

    > With kind regards,
    > Murgi

    Obturator:
    Instrument used to occlude a hollow cannula

    Now I'm sure they'll understand that perfectly in German.
    Why can't they just say "a hollow tube"?
    Oh how I love technical manuals.

    Or even more simpler, a device inserted into the mouth for use as a feeding
    implement.
    Nahhhhhhh. Not on your life.

    Richard, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Murgi

    Murgi Guest

    >Obturator:
    >Instrument used to occlude a hollow cannula
    >
    >Now I'm sure they'll understand that perfectly in German.
    >Why can't they just say "a hollow tube"?

    Well, this the usual academic lingo... but that's what I have to translate.
    If your version is used, I don't need a glossary since it is easy to grasp.
    On the other hand, I need one word and not the explanation... which would
    be OK for an English-English glossary (encyclopedia).

    Murgi

    Murgi, Dec 5, 2004
  6. Murgi

    John Guest

    samuel wrote:

    > "Murgi" <RP0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in
    >

    >> Occasionally I have to compile glossaries for translation
    >> projects, therefore I am looking either for a freeware,
    >> shareware or commercial software that can do that easily.
    >> For example, right now I have an English manual that deals
    >> with dental equipment. The German reference material has been
    >> done by a dentist which is of excellent quality, and Ifd like
    >> to produce an upgradable English-German dictionary. It would
    >> also be nice if this dictionary can be reversed and serve as
    >> German-English dictionary.
    >>
    >> The format shall look like this one:
    >>
    >> Obturator Verschlussprothese
    >> Eccentric occlusion azentrische
    >> Okklusion Rubber dam holder
    >> Kofferdamhalter
    >>

    >> Ifd like to add new expressions as the work progresses. The
    >> software is supposed to display the expressions in
    >> alphabetical order.
    >>
    >> Right now Ifd need to start without any dedicated software. I
    >> might use MS Word or Excel. I could imagine that Excel would
    >> be a good choice since I can create two columns and start
    >> right away. Can Excel sort the left column alphabetically and
    >> integrate the right column accordingly?

    > yes
    >
    > microsoft.public.excel

    For a free alternative, check out OpenOffice.org's Calc:

    http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html

    http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.3/index.html

    John

    John, Dec 5, 2004