Global Warming and what you can do to against it

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by .., Jan 31, 2010.

  1. ..

    .. Guest

    Dear All,
    As you know global warming is endangering the future of life on the
    planet. It will also affect us;
    rising sea levels, dwindling water supplies, mass deaths due to heat
    waves, stoppage of the gulfstream, which
    brings milder climate to north of Europe, super hurricanes, less food
    due to droughts are some of the effects.
    As you also know global warming is produced due to CO2 emissions
    coming from burning of fossil fuels. So what
    can every single person do to reduce global warming ?

    1) Insulation: Do you know that you can save 50% of heating energy
    (and money) by insulation ? Especially in
    the times the financial crisis, you can make the insulation cheaper
    and save the money when oil, natural gas and
    coal prices are higher due to higher demand. What needs to be
    insulated ? Firstly the Roof, since warmer air
    goes up, then the windows (tripple glass or at least dual glass and
    shutters for additional insulation at night,
    and in summer time), then the outer walls. Also small cracks, leaks in
    weatherstrips etc should be eliminated.
    An infrared inspection of your house for heat losses would be the best
    way to find out what else can be done.
    A wintergarden will help heating your house additionally in winter
    time.

    2) Using rechargable batteries instead of alkaline batteries, and
    charge them during less demand ours like at night
    will also save a lot of energy and money.

    3) Lightning; the use of Compact fluorescent lamps instead of
    traditioanl light bulbs will save 80% of energy, the
    use of very new LED lamps will save even more.

    4) Buying local. Most of the energy is spent for transportation of
    imported goods, especially food. By buying local
    made food you not only save a lot of energy, but also create more jobs
    at home.

    5) Heating; there are several way to save energy and money by changing
    the heating method; you can use the free heat of the nature by adding
    a solar thermal equipment to heat the water for taking showers and
    also to heat your home. Additionally you can use a heating pump, which
    funtions like a reverse fridge; it takes the heat of the outside and
    transfers it to your home. You use much much less energy to do this
    (electricity to pump a liquid).

    6) Your car; by buying a hybrid car you save 30% of fuel, by
    converting your car to CNG (compressed natural gas) you can save a lot
    of CO2, since CNG has much less carbon but more hydrogen, which will
    result in water (CH4 instead of C8H18). CNG will also result in much
    more energy output per mass. The conversion is not very expensive. It
    is totally save, since the storage has to resist a certain pressure.
    Of course there are also other smaller things you have to consider:
    - Each 60 pounds increases fuel consumption by 10%.
    - Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration, and hard braking)
    wastes gas. It can lower your highway gas
    mileage 33% and city mileage 5%.
    - Drive at lowest and constant rpms; 2000 rpm are enough; you can save
    up to 30%. Even a Porsche can be driven
    at the 4th gear at 20 mph and at the 6th gear at 50 mph with 2.5
    times less fuel consumption.
    - Avoid high speeds. Driving 75 mph, rather than 65 mph, could cut
    your fuel economy by 15%.
    - Use air conditioning only when necessary
    - Keep tires properly inflated and aligned to improve your gasoline
    mileage by around 3.3%.
    - Replace clogged air filters to improve gas mileage by as much as 10%
    and protect your engine
    - Combine errands into one trip. Several short trips, each one taken
    from a cold start, can use twice as much fuel
    as one trip covering the same distance when the engine is warm. Do
    not forget that in the first mile your car uses
    8 times more fuel, in the second mile 4 times and only after the
    fourth mile it becomes normal

    7) Buying A++ or A+++ equipments. The extra money you pay for this
    will be back in 1-2 years. It will save a lot of
    CO2.

    8) Try to save also energy at your job; you can do it by insulation,
    more efficient processes, heat recovery, more
    efficient pumps/engines, low temperature processses, material
    saving, water savings, optimization, automatic
    turning off of unnecessary energy using processes, control if some
    processes are really necessary (the change
    of some processes makes other processes sometimes unnecesarry on
    which nobody has thought about).

    9) Solar cells for your own home; at the moment solar cells are very
    cheap since there is an overproduction.
    These cells can operate a fridge for example.

    Regards.
    .., Jan 31, 2010

  2. ..

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The .. Post:
    > Dear All,

    > Regards.

    Save Broadband
    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Jan 31, 2010

  3. ..

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:06:02 -0800 (PST), .. wrote:

    > Dear All,
    > As you know global warming is endangering the future of life on the
    > planet. It will also affect us;
    > rising sea levels, dwindling water supplies, mass deaths due to heat
    > waves, stoppage of the gulfstream, which
    > brings milder climate to north of Europe, super hurricanes, less food
    > due to droughts are some of the effects.
    > As you also know global warming is produced due to CO2 emissions
    > coming from burning of fossil fuels. So what
    > can every single person do to reduce global warming ?

    Horsehockey.
    In 1950 we were told we would be out of fossil fuel in 1990.
    In 1960 they said the same thing but made it 2000 instead.
    Yet, here we are with plenty on hand and finding new resources constantly.

    The global warming doomsdayers come along and for the past 20 years or so
    have been proclaiming their nonsense with no scientific proof.

    Data has been kept on Glacier Park in Montanna. That shows that the average
    temperature has increased less than one half of a degree celsius over a
    period of 160 years. Now if global warming is such a bad thing right now,
    then how come nearly two thirds of the USA is covered in snow?
    Including Dallas Texas.

    You see the doomsdayers showing off a photo of an Alaskan glacier which
    shows a fairly small footprint. This is a natural occurence that happens in
    the height of every summer.

    The planet has been in existance for some hundred billion years or so. With
    the advent of man, the planet's temperature has been fairly steady over the
    past few million years.

    But let us not get into a dither over all this ruckus about global warming
    because the mayan calendar predicts the ending of the planet on Dec. 21,
    2012.

    So who gives a shit about global warming?
    I like it hot!
    richard, Jan 31, 2010
  4. ..

    Clot Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The .. Post:
    >> Dear All,

    >> Regards.

    > Save Broadband

    Thank you. That made me smile.
    Clot, Jan 31, 2010
  5. ..

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo38 <> wrote in

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The .. Post:
    >> Dear All,

    >> Regards.

    > Save Broadband

    Help save farmers. Eat a cow today.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Feb 1, 2010
  6. ..

    XS11E Guest

    ".." <> wrote:

    Just one more reason to join the Usenet Improvement Project.

    See link in signature for details.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Feb 1, 2010
  7. ..

    Respondant Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > OldGringo38 <> wrote in
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The .. Post:
    >>> Dear All,

    >>> Regards.

    >> Save Broadband

    > Help save farmers. Eat a cow today.

    Actually, if you buy into the whole global warming nonsense, you'd be
    helping by preventing the cow you ate from farting anymore.

    Don't believe me? Google it.
    Respondant, Feb 1, 2010
  8. ..

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The chuckcar Post:
    > OldGringo38<> wrote in
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The .. Post:
    >>> Dear All,

    >>> Regards.

    >> Save Broadband

    > Help save farmers. Eat a cow today.

    Help keep Texas green, bring money.

    OldGringo38, Feb 1, 2010
  9. ..

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Clot Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The .. Post:
    >>> Dear All,

    >>> Regards.

    >> Save Broadband

    > Thank you. That made me smile.

    <g>

    OldGringo38, Feb 1, 2010
  10. ..

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The §nühw¤£f Post:
    > OldGringo38<> clouded the waters of pure
    > thought with news:hk4rmk$4u2$-september.org:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added
    >> My Two Cents To The .. Post:
    >>> Dear All,

    >>> Regards.

    >> Sa<SLAP>

    > Hey,
    > Notice poast? (Turn Spell Checker On)
    >
    > Not me. I'm 100% pure asshole.

    <Kicks Ass Back Under Birth Place Rock>

    OldGringo38, Feb 1, 2010
  11. On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:04:46 -0700, richard <> wrote:

    >So who gives a shit about global warming?
    >I like it hot!

    I like seeing the global warming fascists having all these high level
    meetings over the years and just about every time they do, there is like
    12 inches of snow on the ground or the coldest days in decades, etc...

    That is pretty fucking funny.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, Feb 1, 2010
  12. ..

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing Evan Platt <> bada bang:
    > On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:04:46 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Data has been kept on Glacier Park in Montanna.

    > Where's Montanna?

    Buried under mountains of glacial data.

    Mike "bits don't decay when they're very cold" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Feb 1, 2010
  13. ..

    ian field Guest

    "Respondant" <> wrote in message
    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> OldGringo38 <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>> Two Cents To The .. Post:

    >>> Save Broadband

    >> Help save farmers. Eat a cow today.

    > Actually, if you buy into the whole global warming nonsense, you'd be
    > helping by preventing the cow you ate from farting anymore.

    Then the person who ate the cow farts instead.
    ian field, Feb 1, 2010
  14. ..

    ian field Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:06:02 -0800 (PST), .. wrote:
    >
    >> Dear All,
    >> As you know global warming is endangering the future of life on the
    >> planet. It will also affect us;
    >> rising sea levels, dwindling water supplies, mass deaths due to heat
    >> waves, stoppage of the gulfstream, which
    >> brings milder climate to north of Europe, super hurricanes, less food
    >> due to droughts are some of the effects.
    >> As you also know global warming is produced due to CO2 emissions
    >> coming from burning of fossil fuels. So what
    >> can every single person do to reduce global warming ?
    >>

    > Horsehockey.
    > In 1950 we were told we would be out of fossil fuel in 1990.
    > In 1960 they said the same thing but made it 2000 instead.
    > Yet, here we are with plenty on hand and finding new resources constantly.
    >
    > The global warming doomsdayers come along and for the past 20 years or so
    > have been proclaiming their nonsense with no scientific proof.

    The British university GW research unit that had its servers hacked, has now
    been revealed as having broken the law by evading requests for data under
    the freedom of information act.

    There was some pretty suspect terms of phrase in the leaked documents, and
    their breaking the FOI laws just goes to prove they're "cooking" the data.
    ian field, Feb 1, 2010
  15. ..

    ian field Guest

    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=9691233
    ian field, Feb 1, 2010
  16. ..

    ian field Guest

    "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > "ian field" <> clouded the waters of
    > pure thought with news:MgB9n.167271$2:
    >

    >> "richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Horsehockey.
    >>> In 1950 we were told we would be out of fossil fuel in 1990.
    >>> In 1960 they said the same thing but made it 2000 instead.
    >>> Yet, here we are with plenty on hand and finding new resources
    >>> constantly.
    >>>
    >>> The global warming doomsdayers come along and for the past 20
    >>> years or so have been proclaiming their nonsense with no
    >>> scientific proof.

    >> The British university GW research unit that had its servers
    >> hacked, has now been revealed as having broken the law by evading
    >> requests for data under the freedom of information act.
    >>

    > CITE, you lieing sack of crap.
    > PPOSTFU
    >
    >> There was some pretty suspect terms of phrase in the leaked
    >> documents, and their breaking the FOI laws just goes to prove
    >> they're "cooking" the data.

    And they're not the only one's taking the piss;

    http://dailybail.com/live-beat/it-was-all-a-giant-hoax-world-misled-over-himalayan-glacier.html
    ian field, Feb 1, 2010
  17. ..

    ian field Guest

    "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > "ian field" <> clouded the waters of
    > pure thought with news:fpD9n.95837$2:
    >

    >> "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    >>> "ian field" <> clouded the waters of
    >>> pure thought with news:MgB9n.167271$2:

    > less

    > emissions

    >>> CITE, you lieing sack of crap.
    >>> PPOSTFU

    >> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=9691233
    >>

    > Ha ha. made you grep.

    You're the one with egg on your face.
    ian field, Feb 2, 2010
  18. On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:46:42 -0600, "§nühw¤£f" <>
    wrote:

    >Their denial of a FOI request invalidates the data set how?

    What data? It's all pretty much a bunch of cooked up bullshit to keep
    the money flow unhindered. Kinda hard for you to grasp isn't it?
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, Feb 2, 2010
  19. In message <>, Ctrl/Alt/Del wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:46:42 -0600, "§nühw¤£f" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Their denial of a FOI request invalidates the data set how?
    > >

    > What data?

    The scientific research thus far, dimmy.

    > It's all pretty much a bunch of cooked up bullshit to keep
    > the money flow unhindered. Kinda hard for you to grasp isn't it?

    You're the one who cant explain how global warming is supposed to function.

    <guffaw>

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/
    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 2, 2010
  20. On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:44:15 -0700, §ñühw¤£f <>
    wrote:

    >In message <>, Ctrl/Alt/Del wrote:
    >> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:46:42 -0600, "§nühw¤£f" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Their denial of a FOI request invalidates the data set how?
    >> >

    >> What data?

    >The scientific research thus far, dimmy.

    It all seems to be a lie. Why in the world believe things that
    untruthful people have been feeding you?

    >> It's all pretty much a bunch of cooked up bullshit to keep
    >> the money flow unhindered. Kinda hard for you to grasp isn't it?

    >You're the one who cant explain how global warming is supposed to function.

    I think I have. The global warming scam works by having unethical
    thieves and crooks cooking data in order to get gubmint money.

    When you have a boatload of untruthful con artists cherry picking data
    and fudging what doesn't fit right then you invalidate any so called
    *research*.
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, Feb 3, 2010