Global Warming and what you can do to against it

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by .., Dec 18, 2009.

  1. ..

    .. Guest

    Dear All,
    As you know global warming is endangering the future of life on the
    planet. It will also affect us;
    rising sea levels, dwindling water supplies, mass deaths due to heat
    waves, stoppage of the gulfstream, which
    brings milder climate to north of Europe, super hurricanes, less food
    due to droughts are some of the effects.
    As you also know global warming is produced due to CO2 emissions
    coming from burning of fossil fuels. So what
    can every single person do to reduce global warming ?


    1) Insulation: Do you know that you can save 50% of heating energy
    (and money) by insulation ? Especially in
    the times the financial crisis, you can make the insulation cheaper
    and save the money when oil, natural gas and
    coal prices are higher due to higher demand. What needs to be
    insulated ? Firstly the Roof, since warmer air
    goes up, then the windows (tripple glass or at least dual glass and
    shutters for additional insulation at night,
    and in summer time), then the outer walls. Also small cracks, leaks in
    weatherstrips etc should be eliminated.
    An infrared inspection of your house for heat losses would be the best
    way to find out what else can be done.
    A wintergarden will help heating your house additionally in winter
    time.

    2) Using rechargable batteries instead of alkaline batteries, and
    charge them during less demand ours like at night
    will also save a lot of energy and money.

    3) Lightning; the use of Compact fluorescent lamps instead of
    traditioanl light bulbs will save 80% of energy, the
    use of very new LED lamps will save even more.

    4) Buying local. Most of the energy is spent for transportation of
    imported goods, especially food. By buying local
    made food you not only save a lot of energy, but also create more jobs
    at home.

    5) Heating; there are several way to save energy and money by changing
    the heating method; you can use the free heat
    of the nature by adding a solar thermal equipment to heat the water
    for taking showers and also to heat your home.
    Additionally you can use a heating pump, which funtions like a reverse
    fridge; it takes the heat of the outside and
    transfers it to your home. You use much much less energy to do this
    (electricity to pump a liquid).

    6) Your car; by buying a hybrid car you save 30% of fuel, by
    converting your car to CNG (compressed natural gas) you
    can save a lot of CO2, since CNG has much less carbon but more
    hydrogen, which will result in water (CH4 instead of
    C8H18). CNG will also result in much more energy output per mass. The
    conversion is not very expensive. It is totally
    save, since the storage has to resist a certain pressure.
    Of course there are also other smaller things you have to consider:
    - Each 60 pounds increases fuel consumption by 10%.
    - Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration, and hard braking)
    wastes gas. It can lower your highway gas mileage
    33% and city mileage 5%.
    - Drive at lowest and constant rpms; 2000 rpm are enough; you can save
    up to 30%. Even a Porsche can be driven at the
    4th gear at 20 mph and at the 6th gear at 50 mph with 2.5 times less
    fuel consumption.
    - Avoid high speeds. Driving 75 mph, rather than 65 mph, could cut
    your fuel economy by 15%.
    - Use air conditioning only when necessary
    - Keep tires properly inflated and aligned to improve your gasoline
    mileage by around 3.3%.
    - Replace clogged air filters to improve gas mileage by as much as 10%
    and protect your engine
    - Combine errands into one trip. Several short trips, each one taken
    from a cold start, can use twice as much fuel as
    one trip covering the same distance when the engine is warm. Do not
    forget that in the first mile your car uses 8
    times more fuel, in the second mile 4 times and only after the
    fourth mile it becomes normal

    7) Buying A++ or A+++ equipments. The extra money you pay for this
    will be back in 1-2 years. It will save a lot of CO2.

    8) Try to save also energy at your job; you can do it by insulation,
    more efficient processes, heat recovery, more
    efficient pumps/engines, low temperature processses, material
    saving, water savings, optimization, automatic turning
    off of unnecessary energy using processes, control if some
    processes are really necessary (the change of some
    processes makes other processes sometimes unnecesarry on which
    nobody has thought about).

    9) Solar cells for your own home; at the moment solar cells are very
    cheap since there is an overproduction. These cells
    can operate a fridge for example.

    Regards.
    .., Dec 18, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ..

    Dave Cohen Guest

    ... wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > As you know global warming is endangering the future of life on the
    > planet. It will also affect us;
    > rising sea levels, dwindling water supplies, mass deaths due to heat
    > waves, stoppage of the gulfstream, which
    > brings milder climate to north of Europe, super hurricanes, less food
    > due to droughts are some of the effects.
    > As you also know global warming is produced due to CO2 emissions
    > coming from burning of fossil fuels. So what
    > can every single person do to reduce global warming ?
    >
    >
    > 1) Insulation: Do you know that you can save 50% of heating energy
    > (and money) by insulation ? Especially in
    > the times the financial crisis, you can make the insulation cheaper
    > and save the money when oil, natural gas and
    > coal prices are higher due to higher demand. What needs to be
    > insulated ? Firstly the Roof, since warmer air
    > goes up, then the windows (tripple glass or at least dual glass and
    > shutters for additional insulation at night,
    > and in summer time), then the outer walls. Also small cracks, leaks in
    > weatherstrips etc should be eliminated.
    > An infrared inspection of your house for heat losses would be the best
    > way to find out what else can be done.
    > A wintergarden will help heating your house additionally in winter
    > time.
    >
    > 2) Using rechargable batteries instead of alkaline batteries, and
    > charge them during less demand ours like at night
    > will also save a lot of energy and money.
    >
    > 3) Lightning; the use of Compact fluorescent lamps instead of
    > traditioanl light bulbs will save 80% of energy, the
    > use of very new LED lamps will save even more.
    >
    > 4) Buying local. Most of the energy is spent for transportation of
    > imported goods, especially food. By buying local
    > made food you not only save a lot of energy, but also create more jobs
    > at home.
    >
    > 5) Heating; there are several way to save energy and money by changing
    > the heating method; you can use the free heat
    > of the nature by adding a solar thermal equipment to heat the water
    > for taking showers and also to heat your home.
    > Additionally you can use a heating pump, which funtions like a reverse
    > fridge; it takes the heat of the outside and
    > transfers it to your home. You use much much less energy to do this
    > (electricity to pump a liquid).
    >
    > 6) Your car; by buying a hybrid car you save 30% of fuel, by
    > converting your car to CNG (compressed natural gas) you
    > can save a lot of CO2, since CNG has much less carbon but more
    > hydrogen, which will result in water (CH4 instead of
    > C8H18). CNG will also result in much more energy output per mass. The
    > conversion is not very expensive. It is totally
    > save, since the storage has to resist a certain pressure.
    > Of course there are also other smaller things you have to consider:
    > - Each 60 pounds increases fuel consumption by 10%.
    > - Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration, and hard braking)
    > wastes gas. It can lower your highway gas mileage
    > 33% and city mileage 5%.
    > - Drive at lowest and constant rpms; 2000 rpm are enough; you can save
    > up to 30%. Even a Porsche can be driven at the
    > 4th gear at 20 mph and at the 6th gear at 50 mph with 2.5 times less
    > fuel consumption.
    > - Avoid high speeds. Driving 75 mph, rather than 65 mph, could cut
    > your fuel economy by 15%.
    > - Use air conditioning only when necessary
    > - Keep tires properly inflated and aligned to improve your gasoline
    > mileage by around 3.3%.
    > - Replace clogged air filters to improve gas mileage by as much as 10%
    > and protect your engine
    > - Combine errands into one trip. Several short trips, each one taken
    > from a cold start, can use twice as much fuel as
    > one trip covering the same distance when the engine is warm. Do not
    > forget that in the first mile your car uses 8
    > times more fuel, in the second mile 4 times and only after the
    > fourth mile it becomes normal
    >
    > 7) Buying A++ or A+++ equipments. The extra money you pay for this
    > will be back in 1-2 years. It will save a lot of CO2.
    >
    > 8) Try to save also energy at your job; you can do it by insulation,
    > more efficient processes, heat recovery, more
    > efficient pumps/engines, low temperature processses, material
    > saving, water savings, optimization, automatic turning
    > off of unnecessary energy using processes, control if some
    > processes are really necessary (the change of some
    > processes makes other processes sometimes unnecesarry on which
    > nobody has thought about).
    >
    > 9) Solar cells for your own home; at the moment solar cells are very
    > cheap since there is an overproduction. These cells
    > can operate a fridge for example.
    >
    > Regards.


    This is hardly the appropriate group, plus the believers already are
    aware of these measures. Unfortunately, here in the US a large
    proportion of the population either don't believe we are warming and if
    they do, they deny it's man made. They also don't believe in evolution
    and possibly thinking period, although they would deny the latter.
    Dave Cohen, Dec 18, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ..

    Bigguy Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > .. wrote:
    >> Dear All,
    >> As you know global warming is endangering the future of life on the
    >> planet. It will also affect us;
    >> rising sea levels, dwindling water supplies, mass deaths due to heat
    >> waves, stoppage of the gulfstream, which
    >> brings milder climate to north of Europe, super hurricanes, less food
    >> due to droughts are some of the effects.
    >> As you also know global warming is produced due to CO2 emissions
    >> coming from burning of fossil fuels. So what
    >> can every single person do to reduce global warming ?
    >>
    >>
    >> 1) Insulation: Do you know that you can save 50% of heating energy
    >> (and money) by insulation ? Especially in
    >> the times the financial crisis, you can make the insulation cheaper
    >> and save the money when oil, natural gas and
    >> coal prices are higher due to higher demand. What needs to be
    >> insulated ? Firstly the Roof, since warmer air
    >> goes up, then the windows (tripple glass or at least dual glass and
    >> shutters for additional insulation at night,
    >> and in summer time), then the outer walls. Also small cracks, leaks in
    >> weatherstrips etc should be eliminated.
    >> An infrared inspection of your house for heat losses would be the best
    >> way to find out what else can be done.
    >> A wintergarden will help heating your house additionally in winter
    >> time.
    >>
    >> 2) Using rechargable batteries instead of alkaline batteries, and
    >> charge them during less demand ours like at night
    >> will also save a lot of energy and money.
    >>
    >> 3) Lightning; the use of Compact fluorescent lamps instead of
    >> traditioanl light bulbs will save 80% of energy, the
    >> use of very new LED lamps will save even more.
    >>
    >> 4) Buying local. Most of the energy is spent for transportation of
    >> imported goods, especially food. By buying local
    >> made food you not only save a lot of energy, but also create more jobs
    >> at home.
    >>
    >> 5) Heating; there are several way to save energy and money by changing
    >> the heating method; you can use the free heat
    >> of the nature by adding a solar thermal equipment to heat the water
    >> for taking showers and also to heat your home.
    >> Additionally you can use a heating pump, which funtions like a reverse
    >> fridge; it takes the heat of the outside and
    >> transfers it to your home. You use much much less energy to do this
    >> (electricity to pump a liquid).
    >>
    >> 6) Your car; by buying a hybrid car you save 30% of fuel, by
    >> converting your car to CNG (compressed natural gas) you
    >> can save a lot of CO2, since CNG has much less carbon but more
    >> hydrogen, which will result in water (CH4 instead of
    >> C8H18). CNG will also result in much more energy output per mass. The
    >> conversion is not very expensive. It is totally
    >> save, since the storage has to resist a certain pressure.
    >> Of course there are also other smaller things you have to consider:
    >> - Each 60 pounds increases fuel consumption by 10%.
    >> - Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration, and hard braking)
    >> wastes gas. It can lower your highway gas mileage
    >> 33% and city mileage 5%.
    >> - Drive at lowest and constant rpms; 2000 rpm are enough; you can save
    >> up to 30%. Even a Porsche can be driven at the
    >> 4th gear at 20 mph and at the 6th gear at 50 mph with 2.5 times less
    >> fuel consumption.
    >> - Avoid high speeds. Driving 75 mph, rather than 65 mph, could cut
    >> your fuel economy by 15%.
    >> - Use air conditioning only when necessary
    >> - Keep tires properly inflated and aligned to improve your gasoline
    >> mileage by around 3.3%.
    >> - Replace clogged air filters to improve gas mileage by as much as 10%
    >> and protect your engine
    >> - Combine errands into one trip. Several short trips, each one taken
    >> from a cold start, can use twice as much fuel as
    >> one trip covering the same distance when the engine is warm. Do not
    >> forget that in the first mile your car uses 8
    >> times more fuel, in the second mile 4 times and only after the
    >> fourth mile it becomes normal
    >>
    >> 7) Buying A++ or A+++ equipments. The extra money you pay for this
    >> will be back in 1-2 years. It will save a lot of CO2.
    >>
    >> 8) Try to save also energy at your job; you can do it by insulation,
    >> more efficient processes, heat recovery, more
    >> efficient pumps/engines, low temperature processses, material
    >> saving, water savings, optimization, automatic turning
    >> off of unnecessary energy using processes, control if some
    >> processes are really necessary (the change of some
    >> processes makes other processes sometimes unnecesarry on which
    >> nobody has thought about).
    >>
    >> 9) Solar cells for your own home; at the moment solar cells are very
    >> cheap since there is an overproduction. These cells
    >> can operate a fridge for example.
    >>
    >> Regards.

    >
    > This is hardly the appropriate group, plus the believers already are
    > aware of these measures. Unfortunately, here in the US a large
    > proportion of the population either don't believe we are warming and if
    > they do, they deny it's man made. They also don't believe in evolution
    > and possibly thinking period, although they would deny the latter.

    Please take your warmist scaremongering gibberish and go away...

    G
    Bigguy, Dec 18, 2009
    #3
  4. ..

    Guest

    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:27:17 -0800 (PST), ".." <> wrote:

    >Dear All,
    >As you know global warming is endangering the future of life on the
    >planet. It will also affect us;
    >rising sea levels, dwindling water supplies, mass deaths due to heat
    >waves, stoppage of the gulfstream, which
    >brings milder climate to north of Europe, super hurricanes, less food
    >due to droughts are some of the effects.
    >As you also know global warming is produced due to CO2 emissions
    >coming from burning of fossil fuels. So what
    >can every single person do to reduce global warming ?
    >

    we can panic
    we can run around weeting our pants (same thing)
    we can pretend we matter
    we can pretend we can control it

    after a while it's just more trendy bullshit.go back to your Chardonnay and Brie parties.
    , Dec 18, 2009
    #4
  5. ..

    Rich Guest

    Fag-off you SHEEP.
    Rich, Dec 18, 2009
    #5
  6. Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately, here in the US a large
    > proportion of the population either don't believe we are warming and if
    > they do, they deny it's man made.


    I can't understand why so many are so concerned about whether it's man
    made. All that matters is whether it's happening, if so is it going to
    bad for us, and if so can we do something about it. It doesn't matter
    a damn who or what is to blame.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Dec 19, 2009
    #6
  7. ..

    J. Clarke Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately, here in the US a large
    >> proportion of the population either don't believe we are warming and
    >> if they do, they deny it's man made.

    >
    > I can't understand why so many are so concerned about whether it's man
    > made. All that matters is whether it's happening, if so is it going to
    > bad for us, and if so can we do something about it. It doesn't matter
    > a damn who or what is to blame.


    Well, actually it does matter. If we're doing something that is causing it
    then we can stop doing whatever it is, at huge cost. If we're not doing
    anything that is causing it then there's no point in investing huge effort
    into stopping what we are doing.
    J. Clarke, Dec 19, 2009
    #7
  8. J. Clarke <> wrote:
    > Chris Malcolm wrote:
    >> Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unfortunately, here in the US a large
    >>> proportion of the population either don't believe we are warming and
    >>> if they do, they deny it's man made.

    >>
    >> I can't understand why so many are so concerned about whether it's man
    >> made. All that matters is whether it's happening, if so is it going to
    >> bad for us, and if so can we do something about it. It doesn't matter
    >> a damn who or what is to blame.


    > Well, actually it does matter. If we're doing something that is causing it
    > then we can stop doing whatever it is, at huge cost. If we're not doing
    > anything that is causing it then there's no point in investing huge effort
    > into stopping what we are doing.


    Too black and white to say "then there's no point in stopping what
    we're doing". It could for example not be our fault in the sense that
    it would be happening anyway without us, but we're making it worse, so
    one of the things we might need to do to ameliorate the effects would
    be to stop what we're doing that's making it worse.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Dec 19, 2009
    #8
  9. ..

    piks11 Guest

    On Dec 19, 6:24 am, nailer <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:27:17 -0800 (PST), ".."
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > each human expels 1 kg of CO2 each day, plus some methane. Animals
    > likewise.
    > ISNt' the slution obvious?


    yep, the slution is as obvious as the noes on your face - human and
    animal
    CO2/Methane expellations must be reduced by 20% by 2020.
    piks11, Dec 19, 2009
    #9
  10. ..

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:28:54 -0000, "Jim Bob" <> wrote:

    >"Jim Bob" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >
    >>> 9) Solar cells for your own home; at the moment solar cells are very
    >>> cheap since there is an overproduction. These cells
    >>> can operate a fridge for example.

    >
    >> Sounds good and I like the post.
    >>
    >> However, what energy/emissions goes into producing solar products, and
    >> what happens to them at end of life?

    >
    >
    >Sorry, just to add, I remember reading an article a while back that talked
    >about the possibility of embedding solar panels in road surfaces, which
    >would be used to not only power street lights, traffic information signs,
    >traffic lights, etc.,


    The concept is being used. There are illuminated road signs in this
    area with a solar panel atop to provide the power for the
    illumination. A common application is a sign that measures and shows
    your speed. The call boxes along the interstates use solar panels to
    provide the electrical power.




    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Dec 21, 2009
    #10
  11. ..

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:28:54 -0000, "Jim Bob" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Jim Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>
    >>>>> 9) Solar cells for your own home; at the moment solar cells are very
    >>>>> cheap since there is an overproduction. These cells
    >>>>> can operate a fridge for example.
    >>>> Sounds good and I like the post.
    >>>>
    >>>> However, what energy/emissions goes into producing solar products, and
    >>>> what happens to them at end of life?
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, just to add, I remember reading an article a while back that talked
    >>> about the possibility of embedding solar panels in road surfaces, which
    >>> would be used to not only power street lights, traffic information signs,
    >>> traffic lights, etc.,

    >>
    >> The concept is being used. There are illuminated road signs in this
    >> area with a solar panel atop to provide the power for the
    >> illumination. A common application is a sign that measures and shows
    >> your speed. The call boxes along the interstates use solar panels to
    >> provide the electrical power.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >In Austin for at least 10 years,many school zone signs with flashing
    >lights have been solar powered. We have to start using as many
    >alternative energy methods as we can find, especially wind and solar
    >along with the well-established hydroelectric. Settling on just one
    >method, as some here have suggested in the past, won't cut it. One
    >poster, delightfully forgotten, even went so far as to say that wind
    >power wasn't practical because electricity was required to start
    >generators. I wonder how all the windmills I saw as a child (pre-REA)
    >got started? Or the ones in Holland and many other places in the world?
    >Tunnel vision, sadly, sometimes triumphs.
    >Allen

    Well large scale use of fully electric cars are never going to get off the
    ground if they dont start allowing new nuclear plants to be built to replace
    the coal plants the tree huggers so hate.

    After all, thats where most of the electric cars get their power to charge
    them, coal plants!!!
    GMAN, Dec 21, 2009
    #11
  12. In message news:, "Jim Bob"
    <> said:

    > to create
    > solar panels at the moment results in a lot of toxins.


    That hasn't stopped the environazis from cramming mercury-packed CFLs down
    our throats.
    Father Guido Sarducci, Dec 22, 2009
    #12
  13. ..

    Martin Brown Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:28:54 -0000, "Jim Bob" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>>> 9) Solar cells for your own home; at the moment solar cells are very
    >>>> cheap since there is an overproduction. These cells
    >>>> can operate a fridge for example.
    >>> Sounds good and I like the post.


    The payback time is still pretty hopeless unless you live somewhere with
    nearly perpetual sunshine. Solar hot water is fine but even then you
    really need to calculate the payback time.

    >>> However, what energy/emissions goes into producing solar products, and
    >>> what happens to them at end of life?

    >>
    >> Sorry, just to add, I remember reading an article a while back that talked
    >> about the possibility of embedding solar panels in road surfaces, which
    >> would be used to not only power street lights, traffic information signs,
    >> traffic lights, etc.,


    It is a lost cause in road surfaces they would be destroyed within the
    first day of operation. I have seen LED based cats eyes their MTBF isn't
    very impressive. The old glass marble ones last 10x as long. Even
    granite and heavy slate rock wears at a horrific rate on busy roads.

    Making refined silica is very energy intensive the kit has to work for a
    long time just to pay back its manufacture. For a balanced energy
    inventry of alternative energy technologies try:

    http://www.withouthotair.com/
    >
    > The concept is being used. There are illuminated road signs in this
    > area with a solar panel atop to provide the power for the
    > illumination. A common application is a sign that measures and shows
    > your speed. The call boxes along the interstates use solar panels to
    > provide the electrical power.


    And they are a complete joke in the UK at latitude 50+ where the things
    die horribly every winter wrecking a full set of batteries and are out
    of service to warn of dangerous bends *exactly* when they are needed
    most in the frosty mornings of mid-winter.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Dec 22, 2009
    #13
  14. my personal take on this

    the earth is round, do we agree here
    the more moisture the more clouds, do we agree here
    the more clouds the earth cools, do we agree here
    therefore the earth can look after it's self

    if you don't agree

    burst more fridges i say, i wanna be warmer
    egbert_no_bacon, Dec 23, 2009
    #14
  15. In message news:, "Jim Bob"
    <> said:

    > to create
    > solar panels at the moment results in a lot of toxins.


    That hasn't stopped the environazis from cramming mercury-packed CFLs down
    our throats.
    Father Guido Sarducci, Dec 23, 2009
    #15
  16. In message news:, "Jim Bob"
    <> said:

    > to create
    > solar panels at the moment results in a lot of toxins.


    That hasn't stopped the environazis from cramming mercury-packed CFLs down
    our throats.
    Father Guido Sarducci, Dec 29, 2009
    #16
  17. ..

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Father Guido Sarducci <> wrote:
    >That hasn't stopped the environazis from cramming mercury-packed CFLs down
    >our throats.


    Kook.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Dec 29, 2009
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Hoffa
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    671
    Hoffa
    Oct 25, 2006
  2. Hoffa
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,410
    Walter Roberson
    Oct 25, 2006
  3. Carlos
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    513
    who'sthat
    Sep 19, 2007
  4. ..
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    415
  5. ..
    Replies:
    39
    Views:
    1,137
    Old Codger
    Feb 8, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page