    the link to the photo is
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sakcee/detail?.dir=219fscd&.dnm=6fb5scd...

    , Nov 6, 2006

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > I am very novice user of photoshop, I was wondering if someone can
    > suggest some photoshop filter or techiniques by which i can reduce the
    > glass reflection on the pictures, I took the pictures while in a car
    > with car window up and there is a white reflection of a t-shirt , is
    > there a way that I can set some kind of noise threshold to remove that
    > white reflection,

    Your best bet for glass reflections is use a polarizing filter when
    you take the picture. You can't accomplish this in photoshop
    afterwards.

    Paul Rubin, Nov 6, 2006

  3. wrote:
    : Hi

    : I am very novice user of photoshop, I was wondering if someone can
    : suggest some photoshop filter or techiniques by which i can reduce the
    : glass reflection on the pictures, I took the pictures while in a car
    : with car window up and there is a white reflection of a t-shirt , is
    : there a way that I can set some kind of noise threshold to remove that
    : white reflection,

    unfortunately this is one of the few problems that is difficult or
    impossible to digitally fix in post production. The best way , of course,
    is to use a polarizing filter at the time of shooting to reduce or
    eliminate the reflection.

    But there are some ways to reduce the impact of reflections in some
    photos. In some photos I have been able to select and re-color the
    reflected object to make it a tiny bit less noticable. But this is very
    rare that the conditions are right for this. Also anything that the
    reflected image obscures will continue to be obstructed. I have had a few
    images when I could play with the brightness and contrast a bit which
    reduced the obvious reflection.

    It can't hurt to play with the various controls and maybe even play with
    the dodge tool (looks like a lollypop in the same tool slot as the hand
    making an "O"). As long as you don't save the trials back to the same file
    name you can't loose anything in trying. But don't get too upset if
    nothing works. The odds are very very very against you.

    Sorry I couldn't be more encouraging.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Nov 6, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am very novice user of photoshop, I was wondering if someone can
    > suggest some photoshop filter or techiniques by which i can reduce the
    > glass reflection on the pictures, I took the pictures while in a car
    > with car window up and there is a white reflection of a t-shirt , is
    > there a way that I can set some kind of noise threshold to remove that
    > white reflection,
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > the link to the photo is
    > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sakcee/detail?.dir=219fscd&.dnm=6fb5scd...

    It is a LOT of work,and takes some skill. However, what you can do is
    select the region with the reflection (best to select the whole glass
    if you can) and reduce contrast while playing with brightness to keep
    average brightness of the area the same.

    If the shot is through a single piece of glass, you can select the
    intended object, reverse the selection so that it applies to everything
    EXCEPT the intended subject, and again reduce contrast while adjusting
    brightness to retain original brightness.

    An alternative is to use a cloning brush, set the cloning tool to a lot
    of transparancy, and repeatedly paint over the unwanted reflection,
    replacing the reflection with what is in the area surrounding the
    reflection.

    This operation is similar to one where you "remove" a person from a
    group of people.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Mike Fields Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > writes:
    >> I am very novice user of photoshop, I was wondering if someone can
    >> suggest some photoshop filter or techiniques by which i can reduce
    >> the
    >> glass reflection on the pictures, I took the pictures while in a car
    >> with car window up and there is a white reflection of a t-shirt , is
    >> there a way that I can set some kind of noise threshold to remove
    >> that
    >> white reflection,

    > Your best bet for glass reflections is use a polarizing filter when
    > you take the picture. You can't accomplish this in photoshop
    > afterwards.

    Often a polarizer is bad news for the safety glass in cars -
    it shows all sorts of stress things in the glass. I have seen
    some really strange patterns when viewing auto glass
    through a polarizer (spots and other strange things). While post
    processing is very tough, one thing that works fairly well
    is either a black cloth or black shirt to make it as dark as
    possible behind the window when you are taking pictures
    from a vehicle with a window you can't open (the airlines
    frown on my opening the window at 37,000 feet for some
    reason). I use that when I can when shooting from an
    airplane and it usually works fairly well.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Nov 7, 2006
  6. Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:

    > "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >> writes:
    >>> I am very novice user of photoshop, I was wondering if someone can
    >>> suggest some photoshop filter or techiniques by which i can reduce the
    >>> glass reflection on the pictures, I took the pictures while in a car
    >>> with car window up and there is a white reflection of a t-shirt , is
    >>> there a way that I can set some kind of noise threshold to remove that
    >>> white reflection,

    >> Your best bet for glass reflections is use a polarizing filter when
    >> you take the picture. You can't accomplish this in photoshop
    >> afterwards.

    > Often a polarizer is bad news for the safety glass in cars -
    > it shows all sorts of stress things in the glass. I have seen
    > some really strange patterns when viewing auto glass
    > through a polarizer (spots and other strange things). While post
    > processing is very tough, one thing that works fairly well
    > is either a black cloth or black shirt to make it as dark as
    > possible behind the window when you are taking pictures
    > from a vehicle with a window you can't open (the airlines
    > frown on my opening the window at 37,000 feet for some
    > reason). I use that when I can when shooting from an
    > airplane and it usually works fairly well.
    >
    > mikey

    There are other considerations when shooting through car windows, such
    as some window coatings cause IR to be reflected messing up focus. I
    always set my camera to 'landscape' mode which sets focus to 'infinity'.
    Saves time, and eliminates any negative effect the window coating may
    cause. The problem of reflections can be minimized by holding the
    camera as close to the window as possible. Polarizers aren't
    recommended for pictures through stressed, or safety glass.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 7, 2006
  7. Mike Fields Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >>
    >> "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Your best bet for glass reflections is use a polarizing filter when
    >>> you take the picture. You can't accomplish this in photoshop
    >>> afterwards.

    >> Often a polarizer is bad news for the safety glass in cars -
    >> it shows all sorts of stress things in the glass. I have seen
    >> some really strange patterns when viewing auto glass
    >> through a polarizer (spots and other strange things). While post
    >> processing is very tough, one thing that works fairly well
    >> is either a black cloth or black shirt to make it as dark as
    >> possible behind the window when you are taking pictures
    >> from a vehicle with a window you can't open (the airlines
    >> frown on my opening the window at 37,000 feet for some
    >> reason). I use that when I can when shooting from an
    >> airplane and it usually works fairly well.
    >>
    >> mikey
    >>

    > There are other considerations when shooting through car windows, such
    > as some window coatings cause IR to be reflected messing up focus. I
    > always set my camera to 'landscape' mode which sets focus to
    > 'infinity'. Saves time, and eliminates any negative effect the window
    > coating may cause. The problem of reflections can be minimized by
    > holding the camera as close to the window as possible. Polarizers
    > aren't recommended for pictures through stressed, or safety glass.

    One comment on Ron's statement - "holding the camera as
    close to the window as possible" means close but NOT
    touching the window. Unless the vehicle is completely stationary,
    if you touch the window, you immediately pick up any
    engine/road vibration in the camera. Close is close WITHOUT
    touching.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Nov 7, 2006
  8. Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >> Mike Fields wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message

    >>> Often a polarizer is bad news for the safety glass in cars -
    >>> it shows all sorts of stress things in the glass. I have seen
    >>> some really strange patterns when viewing auto glass
    >>> through a polarizer (spots and other strange things). While post
    >>> processing is very tough, one thing that works fairly well
    >>> is either a black cloth or black shirt to make it as dark as
    >>> possible behind the window when you are taking pictures
    >>> from a vehicle with a window you can't open (the airlines
    >>> frown on my opening the window at 37,000 feet for some
    >>> reason). I use that when I can when shooting from an
    >>> airplane and it usually works fairly well.
    >>>
    >>> mikey
    >>>

    >> There are other considerations when shooting through car windows, such
    >> as some window coatings cause IR to be reflected messing up focus. I
    >> always set my camera to 'landscape' mode which sets focus to
    >> 'infinity'. Saves time, and eliminates any negative effect the window
    >> coating may cause. The problem of reflections can be minimized by
    >> holding the camera as close to the window as possible. Polarizers
    >> aren't recommended for pictures through stressed, or safety glass.

    > One comment on Ron's statement - "holding the camera as
    > close to the window as possible" means close but NOT
    > touching the window. Unless the vehicle is completely stationary,
    > if you touch the window, you immediately pick up any
    > engine/road vibration in the camera. Close is close WITHOUT
    > touching.
    >
    > mikey

    Yes, and it may not be good for the extended barrel of the lens, either.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 7, 2006