    three disc is a longer version of the film. Could some one confirm this for
    me

    cheers dave

    Dragon, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Dragon wrote:
    > Ok guys apart from extras which the extra disc is obvious does anyone no
    > what extra mins are put in the film at all, i have the 2 disc UK edition
    > which according to rewind has no cuts but according to other sources the new
    > three disc is a longer version of the film. Could some one confirm this for
    > me
    >
    > cheers dave

    Yeah, it's longer.

    Patrick W. Heinske, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Dragon

    RobMac Guest

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Ok guys apart from extras which the extra disc is obvious does anyone no
    > what extra mins are put in the film at all, i have the 2 disc UK edition
    > which according to rewind has no cuts but according to other sources the
    > new three disc is a longer version of the film. Could some one confirm
    > this for me
    >
    > cheers dave

    The US Theatrical Release has a running time of 155 minutes
    The UK Theatrical Release has a running time of 155 minutes (same as US, as
    far as I can tell)
    The new Extended Edition has a running time of 171 minutes (adding 17
    minutes)

    It should be noted, however, that Ridley considers the 2000 (155 minute)
    version the "Director's Cut" (just as his 1979 version of Alien was the
    "Director's Cut") and this new 2005 DVD Extended Edition is just that, an
    "extended" version of his film, but he does not prefer it to the 2000
    version. DVD gives director (as well as the audience) the ability to see an
    alternate version of a movie, and nothing else.

    My only complaint about the new 2005 EE of Gladiator is that the DTS 6.1-ES
    soundtrack is absent, and this is a far superior track to the Dolby Digital
    5.1-EX track (please, no DD vs. DTS flames here, some DD tracks are superior
    to DTS, but if you've ever compared the DD to DTS track on Gladiator I can't
    see how you'd disagree with me here).

    The info track on the new DVD is pretty cool (and overloaded with Roman
    History...I was getting a headache trying to keep up - and that's a good
    thing) and the Commentary with Scott and Crowe is interesting and fun
    (Ridley definitely needs a companion to talk to during his commentaries,
    left to his own he's quite boring, though informative, I get tired listening
    to him - literally tired, but here with Crowe he's kept lively and
    involved). It's also great to have the very detailed and in depth behind the
    scenes looks!

    RobMac, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Dragon

    P Pron Guest

    Dragon wrote:
    || Ok guys apart from extras which the extra disc is obvious does
    || anyone no what extra mins are put in the film at all, i have the 2
    || disc UK edition which according to rewind has no cuts but according
    || to other sources the new three disc is a longer version of the film.
    || Could some one confirm this for me
    || cheers dave

    Hi Dave

    The answer is at
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2778757

    Always worth checking http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?soeg=all&mvis=ok
    with questions like this - it doesn't have everything, but is a good place
    to start when looking for reviews...

    paul

    P Pron, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Dragon

    Jeff Rife Guest

    RobMac () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > My only complaint about the new 2005 EE of Gladiator is that the DTS 6.1-ES
    > soundtrack is absent, and this is a far superior track to the Dolby Digital
    > 5.1-EX track (please, no DD vs. DTS flames here, some DD tracks are superior
    > to DTS, but if you've ever compared the DD to DTS track on Gladiator I can't
    > see how you'd disagree with me here).

    Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack? It
    doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "You may find this strange, but I think body

    Jeff Rife, Sep 9, 2005
  6. Dragon

    zjustice Guest

    jeff

    great hank quote !

    zjustice, Sep 10, 2005
  7. Dragon

    Alex Panda Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > RobMac () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> My only complaint about the new 2005 EE of Gladiator is that the DTS
    >> 6.1-ES
    >> soundtrack is absent, and this is a far superior track to the Dolby
    >> Digital
    >> 5.1-EX track (please, no DD vs. DTS flames here, some DD tracks are
    >> superior
    >> to DTS, but if you've ever compared the DD to DTS track on Gladiator I
    >> can't
    >> see how you'd disagree with me here).

    > Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack?
    > It
    > doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

    Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
    clearly inferior.

    Alex Panda, Sep 10, 2005
  8. Dragon

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Alex Panda () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack?
    > > It
    > > doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

    > Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
    > clearly inferior.

    OK, but I'd also seen a lot of review sites that said that it was good,
    and DTS wasn't a real loss considering what was gained, so I couldn't tell
    if it was the same or not. It's not high on my buy list, so I don't have
    it myself.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Sep 10, 2005
  9. Dragon

    Tricky Dicky Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Alex Panda () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> > Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack?
    >> > It
    >> > doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

    >> Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
    >> clearly inferior.

    > OK, but I'd also seen a lot of review sites that said that it was good,
    > and DTS wasn't a real loss considering what was gained, so I couldn't tell
    > if it was the same or not. It's not high on my buy list, so I don't have
    > it myself.

    Btw, I believe the Superbit of Gladiator is now OOP and is changing hands at
    well over original price

    Tricky

    Tricky Dicky, Sep 10, 2005
  10. Dragon

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Tricky Dicky wrote:
    > "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message

    >>>Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
    >>>clearly inferior.

    >>OK, but I'd also seen a lot of review sites that said that it was good,
    >>and DTS wasn't a real loss considering what was gained, so I couldn't tell
    >>if it was the same or not. It's not high on my buy list, so I don't have
    >>it myself.

    > Btw, I believe the Superbit of Gladiator is now OOP and is changing hands at
    > well over original price
    >
    > Tricky

    I never heard of a Superbit version of Gladiator. Can someone amplify?

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Sep 10, 2005
  11. Dragon

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    >> Btw, I believe the Superbit of Gladiator is now OOP and is changing
    >> hands at well over original price
    >>

    > I never heard of a Superbit version of Gladiator. Can someone
    > amplify?

    It's a foreign release. The film is distributed by Columbia TriStar in
    Europe, Australia, and Japan.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 10, 2005
  12. "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    >>> Btw, I believe the Superbit of Gladiator is now OOP and is changing
    >>> hands at well over original price
    >>>

    >> I never heard of a Superbit version of Gladiator. Can someone amplify?

    > It's a foreign release. The film is distributed by Columbia TriStar in
    > Europe, Australia, and Japan.

    Who needs the Superbit version? All original versions of Gladiator had DTS
    tracks, a Superbit release was pointless in this case.

    Brian Wescombe, Sep 10, 2005
  13. "Brian Wescombe" <> wrote in message

    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    >> "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> I never heard of a Superbit version of Gladiator. Can someone amplify?

    >> It's a foreign release. The film is distributed by Columbia TriStar in
    >> Europe, Australia, and Japan.
    >>

    > Who needs the Superbit version? All original versions of Gladiator had DTS
    > tracks, a Superbit release was pointless in this case.

    especially as there's actually no such thing as a superbit dvd.

    --
    Gareth.
    my Dad took me out for the evening and some girl was being a right

    the dog from that film you saw, Sep 10, 2005
  14. Dragon

    Tricky Dicky Guest

    "the dog from that film you saw" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    > "Brian Wescombe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's a foreign release. The film is distributed by Columbia TriStar in
    >>> Europe, Australia, and Japan.
    >>>

    >> Who needs the Superbit version? All original versions of Gladiator had
    >> DTS tracks, a Superbit release was pointless in this case.
    >>

    > especially as there's actually no such thing as a superbit dvd.

    Uh oh, don't start that thread again .... ;-)

    Tricky

    Tricky Dicky, Sep 10, 2005
  15. Dragon

    RobMac Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Alex Panda () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> > Did you actually buy the extended edition and listen to the soundtrack?
    >> > It
    >> > doesn't have to be the same as the original DD track.

    >> Plenty of review sites have confirmed that it is the same DD track and is
    >> clearly inferior.

    > OK, but I'd also seen a lot of review sites that said that it was good,
    > and DTS wasn't a real loss considering what was gained, so I couldn't tell
    > if it was the same or not. It's not high on my buy list, so I don't have
    > it myself.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife |
    > | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Peanuts/TenPin.gif

    I partially agree, since I haven't thrown out my original Gladiator 2-disc
    set.....but, for those that haven't bought Gladiator before and will only
    pick up this copy and make the transition into DTS (is there still one to
    make?), it's a shame they'll not get the superb DTS soundtrack on this
    3-disc set.

    I will keep my original Gladiator in my changer, since the Germanic battle &
    Coloseum scenes are part of my Home Theater Demonstration package to
    visitors!

    But it's good to see a longer cut, a new commentary, deeper documentaries
    and the very educational Roman Fact Track.

    RobMac, Sep 12, 2005
  16. Dragon

    Larry Gold Guest

    yes it is longer

    --
    Larry Gold
    Arsenal For Life

    Larry Gold, Sep 19, 2005
  17. Dragon

    POD {Ò¿Ó} Guest

    "Larry Gold" <> wrote in news:XfFXe.9992$ws4.1077
    @newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

    > yes it is longer

    So the girls tell me;-)

    --
    Thank you kindly

    POD {Ò¿Ó}

    If you prick me, do I not bleed?
    If you eat me, do I not taste of chicken?

    POD {Ò¿Ó}, Sep 19, 2005