Glad I did it

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rabid, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Rabid

    Rabid Guest

    HIya all,

    I'd tinkered around with a Fuji mx2900 2.3 mp camera for a number of years,
    got some nice shots out of it but most were nothing special. When that
    expired, I was torn between another compact (albeit much more modern and
    better spec) or a DSLR.

    After much wrangling and many trips to the camera shops I bought a DSLR.

    Now I'm a way along the learning curve, I have to say that I'm glad I went
    this route.

    Although my pics are far from arty and still more like snaps, for me they
    are way better than I was getting before. I seem to get many more "good
    uns" than I used to. The camera just seems to be easier to get better pics
    out of.

    I also have a Minolta Z1 for those times when I want something small and
    light but its not as easy to get nice pics from, particularly if you want to
    go manual as it has an EVF.

    Is this perceived ease of getting good pics real? is it due to sensor size
    or something?

    PS not gonna say what DSLR I got, don't wanna start a war :)

    Rabid, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Rabid

    Jim Davis Guest

    >I'd tinkered around with a Fuji mx2900 2.3 mp camera for a number of years,
    >got some nice shots out of it but most were nothing special. When that
    >expired, I was torn between another compact (albeit much more modern and
    >better spec) or a DSLR.
    >
    >After much wrangling and many trips to the camera shops I bought a DSLR.
    >
    >Now I'm a way along the learning curve, I have to say that I'm glad I went
    >this route.
    >
    >Although my pics are far from arty and still more like snaps, for me they
    >are way better than I was getting before. I seem to get many more "good
    >uns" than I used to. The camera just seems to be easier to get better pics
    >
    >Is this perceived ease of getting good pics real? is it due to sensor size
    >or something?

    After I got my 10d, I just wanted to throw out all my negs and slides.
    I'm not sure why, but the ability to crank up the ISO really helps. As
    does the ease of taking photos, and lack of scanning time. Might be
    that I spent so much I HAVE to take more photos! Maybe it's cause
    there's no cost in taking photos now. I used to hold back shooting
    film cause I got sick of throwing out and storing empty meaningless
    negs and prints.

    --
    Jim Davis
    Nature Photography