    camcorder like a Canon HV20 or 30. They are cheaper
    and HD, so what's better about the pro-sumer grade Mini DV
    cameras over the consumer grade HD cameras, if anything?

    dh@., Aug 27, 2008

  2. dh@.

    PTravel Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    >I had thought the Canon XLs were of higher quality than
    > the GL2, but in another discussion group someone said
    > the GL2's sensor is better because it has a higher resolution,
    > producing a noticeably better video. Is that true?

    No, it is not. Standard definition video is 720 x 480 pixels. Period. A
    higher resolution sensor won't change that (though there may be some nominal
    improvement if it does pixel subsampling). What it will do, however, is cut
    down on low-light sensitivity.

    > In another
    > group someone suggested getting a consumer grade HD
    > camcorder like a Canon HV20 or 30. They are cheaper
    > and HD, so what's better about the pro-sumer grade Mini DV
    > cameras over the consumer grade HD cameras, if anything?

    The HV20/30 is a terrific HD camcorder. However, manual control is
    difficult and, in some cases, impossible, the viewfinder and LCD overscan,
    you're limited to a single lens, which isn't too bad but doesn't compare to
    the glass on the XL2, it doesn't support XL mike inputs or separate control
    over each audio channel, etc. The intended demographic for the XL2 and the
    HV20/30 are fundamentally different -- the latter is a consumer camera, the
    former a prosumer one. I don't happen to be a fan of the GL2 -- I don't
    think it compares favorably with, for example, Sony's VX2000/2100.

    PTravel, Aug 28, 2008