Giving photogs a bad name?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 18, 2014.

  1. On 6/16/2014 11:48 AM, PAS wrote:
    > "Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    >> On Monday, 16 June 2014 15:15:26 UTC+1, PAS wrote:
    >>

    >>> No, but in many cases there is far too much regulation of ownership.

    >> In which particualar cases would you say are over regulated ?

    > Where I live, in Suffolk County on Long Island.
    >
    > In a nutshell, this is the process I had to go through to get my handgun
    > license and first handgun:
    >
    > 1) Fill out a long application including all previous addresses.
    > 2) Provide three personal references and signed and noarized affadavits
    > from them
    > 3) The references and my employer were all interviewed
    > 4) I had to be fingerprinted & interviewed
    > 5) I was warned of what could disqualify me from being approved. Among
    > them was getting a traffic ticket within the application process timeframe.
    > 6) I was approved after approximately six months from the time I applied
    > 7) I can no purchase a handgun. I went to a gun dealer and made my
    > purchase. But I could not take possession. I had to get a form filled out
    > by the dealer
    > 8) I take the form to the police department and they review the form and
    > then must approve the form and stamp it
    > 9) I take the form back to the dealer and then take possession
    > 10) I have to bring the handgun to the police department for their
    > inspection and then to record the serial number on my license
    > 11) I am only permitted to take the handgun from my home directly to firing
    > range and then directly back home when finished. I cannot make any stops
    > along the way, no exceptions. If I do, I can lose my license.
    >
    > That my friend, is over regulated.

    Well, you got your gun! Just think what it would be like in the UK.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Jun 16, 2014
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    PAS Guest

    "James Silverton" <> wrote in message
    > On 6/16/2014 11:48 AM, PAS wrote:
    >> "Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message

    >>> In which particualar cases would you say are over regulated ?

    >> Where I live, in Suffolk County on Long Island.
    >>
    >> In a nutshell, this is the process I had to go through to get my handgun
    >> license and first handgun:
    >>
    >> 1) Fill out a long application including all previous addresses.
    >> 2) Provide three personal references and signed and noarized affadavits
    >> from them
    >> 3) The references and my employer were all interviewed
    >> 4) I had to be fingerprinted & interviewed
    >> 5) I was warned of what could disqualify me from being approved. Among
    >> them was getting a traffic ticket within the application process
    >> timeframe.
    >> 6) I was approved after approximately six months from the time I applied
    >> 7) I can no purchase a handgun. I went to a gun dealer and made my
    >> purchase. But I could not take possession. I had to get a form filled
    >> out
    >> by the dealer
    >> 8) I take the form to the police department and they review the form and
    >> then must approve the form and stamp it
    >> 9) I take the form back to the dealer and then take possession
    >> 10) I have to bring the handgun to the police department for their
    >> inspection and then to record the serial number on my license
    >> 11) I am only permitted to take the handgun from my home directly to
    >> firing
    >> range and then directly back home when finished. I cannot make any stops
    >> along the way, no exceptions. If I do, I can lose my license.
    >>
    >> That my friend, is over regulated.
    >>

    > Well, you got your gun! Just think what it would be like in the UK.

    True, in the UK it's impossible to get one.
    PAS, Jun 16, 2014
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/16/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >> On 6/13/2014 12:31 PM, PAS wrote:
    >>> "PeterN" <> wrote in message

    >> <snip>

    >>> No I am not. But there is too much regulation in many cases, as I've
    >>> demonstrated.
    >>>

    >> At least we agree on something. How much is too much, can lead to
    >> interesting discussions. I can see the reasonable logic for the
    >> regulations you have complained about.

    > Don't we agree on rum raisin too?

    And Snowflake & (I think<,) Magic Fountain in Mattituck.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 16, 2014
  4. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, 16 June 2014 20:37:56 UTC+1, PAS wrote:
    > "James Silverton" <> wrote in message

    > > On 6/16/2014 11:48 AM, PAS wrote:

    > >> "Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message

    > >> Where I live, in Suffolk County on Long Island.

    > >> In a nutshell, this is the process I had to go through to get my handgun

    > >> license and first handgun:

    > >> 1) Fill out a long application including all previous addresses.

    > >> 2) Provide three personal references and signed and noarized affadavits

    > >> from them

    > >> 3) The references and my employer were all interviewed

    > >> 4) I had to be fingerprinted & interviewed

    > >> 5) I was warned of what could disqualify me from being approved. Among

    > >> them was getting a traffic ticket within the application process

    > >> timeframe.

    > >> 6) I was approved after approximately six months from the time I applied

    > >> 7) I can no purchase a handgun. I went to a gun dealer and made my

    > >> purchase. But I could not take possession. I had to get a form filled

    > >> out

    > >> by the dealer

    > >> 8) I take the form to the police department and they review the form and

    > >> then must approve the form and stamp it

    > >> 9) I take the form back to the dealer and then take possession

    > >> 10) I have to bring the handgun to the police department for their

    > >> inspection and then to record the serial number on my license

    > >> 11) I am only permitted to take the handgun from my home directly to

    > >> firing

    > >> range and then directly back home when finished. I cannot make any stops

    > >> along the way, no exceptions. If I do, I can lose my license.

    > >> That my friend, is over regulated.

    > > Well, you got your gun! Just think what it would be like in the UK.

    > True, in the UK it's impossible to get one.

    yes of course it is, but where do you get these sort of 'facts'

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18911651
    Whisky-dave, Jun 17, 2014
  5. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, 16 June 2014 16:48:36 UTC+1, PAS wrote:
    > "Whisky-dave" <> wrote in message

    > > On Monday, 16 June 2014 15:15:26 UTC+1, PAS wrote:

    > >> No, but in many cases there is far too much regulation of ownership.

    > > In which particualar cases would you say are over regulated ?

    > Where I live, in Suffolk County on Long Island.
    >

    > In a nutshell, this is the process I had to go through to get my handgun
    > license and first handgun:
    >

    > 1) Fill out a long application including all previous addresses.
    > 2) Provide three personal references and signed and noarized affadavits
    > from them
    >
    > 3) The references and my employer were all interviewed
    > 4) I had to be fingerprinted & interviewed
    > 5) I was warned of what could disqualify me from being approved. Among
    > them was getting a traffic ticket within the application process timeframe.
    > 6) I was approved after approximately six months from the time I applied
    > 7) I can no purchase a handgun. I went to a gun dealer and made my
    > purchase. But I could not take possession. I had to get a form filled out
    >> by the dealer

    > 8) I take the form to the police department and they review the form and
    > then must approve the form and stamp it

    > 9) I take the form back to the dealer and then take possession
    >
    > 10) I have to bring the handgun to the police department for their
    >
    > inspection and then to record the serial number on my license
    >
    > 11) I am only permitted to take the handgun from my home directly to firing
    >
    > range and then directly back home when finished. I cannot make any stops
    >
    > along the way, no exceptions. If I do, I can lose my license.
    >

    > That my friend, is over regulated.

    In your opinion of course, do you have problems because you've been restricted or is it that you'd like less or no restrictions ?.
    Whisky-dave, Jun 17, 2014