Giving photogs a bad name?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 18, 2014.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...est-shakes-up-mississippi-republican-primary/

    You seem to think that any reference to the use of a camera is a
    photography issue. That's not necessarily true.

    The photograph was taken by a blogger with a political agenda. His
    action may give political bloggers a bad name, but it has nothing to
    do with photographers.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, May 18, 2014

  3. On 5/18/2014 11:43 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2014-05-18 15:15:13 +0000, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...est-shakes-up-mississippi-republican-primary/
    >>>

    > You
    >>>

    >> seem to think that any reference to the use of a camera is a
    >> photography issue. That's not necessarily true.
    >>
    >> The photograph was taken by a blogger with a political agenda. His
    >> action may give political bloggers a bad name, but it has nothing to
    >> do with photographers.

    > ...and it was probably shot with a phone.

    I imagine, especially since the advent of Photoshop, that trusting a
    photograph is a thing of the past. Recently, I've seen pictures of
    eagles carrying off children and zebras chasing lions.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
    James Silverton, May 18, 2014
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : > On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : >> http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...est-shakes-up-mississippi-republican-primary/
    :
    :
    : You
    : >>
    : > seem to think that any reference to the use of a camera is a
    : > photography issue. That's not necessarily true.
    : >
    : > The photograph was taken by a blogger with a political agenda. His
    : > action may give political bloggers a bad name, but it has nothing to
    : > do with photographers.
    :
    : ...and it was probably shot with a phone.

    Let's hope so. At this point we have no way of knowing what other shoes are
    going to drop.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, May 18, 2014
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:15:13 AM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >
    > wrote:
    >

    > >http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...est-shakes-up-mississippi-republican-primary/

    > You seem to think that any reference to the use of a camera is a
    >
    > photography issue. That's not necessarily true.
    >

    > The photograph was taken by a blogger with a political agenda. His
    >
    > action may give political bloggers a bad name, but it has nothing to
    >
    > do with photographers.

    I thought of that, but given the blurring of the lines being produced by news organizations firing photogs and delegating the job to writers and reporters, it's not hard to imagine someone would think he was a photog as well, or at least acting as one.
    RichA, May 18, 2014
  6. RichA

    Mort Guest

    James Silverton wrote:
    > I imagine, especially since the advent of Photoshop, that trusting a
    > photograph is a thing of the past. Recently, I've seen pictures of
    > eagles carrying off children and zebras chasing lions.

    In this regard, I vividly recall seeing a photograph in a magazine,
    especially made to illustrate the topic at hand. It showed
    then-President Bush Sr., with a naked girl sitting on his lap, and
    President Abraham Lincoln standing next to him with a hand on Pres.
    Bush's shoulder. Although obviously impossible to be real, there were no
    cut edges or color or texture changes to suggest cut-and-paste. It
    illustrates how phoney pix can be made to seem realistic, and hints at
    how they can be used maliciously. The old canard that pictures don't lie
    is now itself a lie.

    Let the viewer beware.

    Mort Linder
    Mort, May 18, 2014
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    :
    : If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

    That's way too broad.

    If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.

    Actually, that's still too broad.

    If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    better one, he's a photographer.

    Still not quite there.

    If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.

    (Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, May 18, 2014
  8. RichA

    MC Guest

    Eric Stevens wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 May 2014 12:50:54 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sunday, May 18, 2014 11:15:13 AM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA

    > <> >>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>

    > >http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/17/bloggers-arrest-shake

    > s-up-mississippi-republican-primary/ >> >>
    > >>

    > >> You seem to think that any reference to the use of a camera is a
    > >>
    > >> photography issue. That's not necessarily true.
    > >>

    > >> The photograph was taken by a blogger with a political agenda. His
    > >>
    > >> action may give political bloggers a bad name, but it has nothing

    > to >>
    > >> do with photographers.

    > > I thought of that, but given the blurring of the lines being
    > > produced by news organizations firing photogs and delegating the
    > > job to writers and reporters, it's not hard to imagine someone
    > > would think he was a photog as well, or at least acting as one.

    > If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

    Just because I make toast in the morning, does that make me a chef?

    MC
    MC, May 18, 2014
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/18/2014 5:22 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

    > (Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    > always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

    Did Martha happen to see you writing that? ;-p

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, May 18, 2014
  10. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:22:05 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    >wrote:
    >:
    >: If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.
    >
    >That's way too broad.
    >
    >If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.
    >
    >Actually, that's still too broad.
    >
    >If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    >better one, he's a photographer.
    >
    >Still not quite there.
    >
    >If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    >better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.
    >
    >(Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    >always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

    If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he
    needs a better than his wife thinks they can afford, he's a
    photographer.

    Of course, that statement has a built-in fault. His wife thinks that
    *any* camera expenditure is more than they can afford. Whatever it
    cost could be better spent on shoes for her.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, May 18, 2014
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:30:10 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 5/18/2014 5:22 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    :
    :
    :
    : > (Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    : > always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)
    : >
    :
    : Did Martha happen to see you writing that? ;-p

    No, I stifled any chauvinistic tendencies entirely on my own.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, May 19, 2014
  12. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >wrote:
    : >:
[...]

    In our household it's sort of the other way around. I keep telling Martha she
    needs a new camera (a 70D, for example), but she prefers her current camera
    because it weighs less. It was one of the best of the Canon Rebel series, but
    is now several models out of date.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, May 19, 2014
  13. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Sunday, 18 May 2014 22:22:05 UTC+1, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > :
    >
    > : If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.
    >
    > That's way too broad.
    >
    > If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.
    >
    > Actually, that's still too broad.
    >
    > If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    >
    > better one, he's a photographer.
    >
    > Still not quite there.
    >
    > If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    >
    > better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.

    > (Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    > always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)

    What if they a beard and won the eurovision song contest ?
    You'll have to ask jonas about whether or not they person with the camera taking photos is a tourist of not ;-)
    Whisky-dave, May 19, 2014
  14. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Sunday, 18 May 2014 22:22:09 UTC+1, MC wrote:
    > Eric Stevens wrote:
    >

    > > On Sun, 18 May 2014 12:50:54 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>

    > > wrote:

    > > <> >>

    > > >http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/17/bloggers-arrest-shake

    > > s-up-mississippi-republican-primary/ >> >>

    > > to >>

    > > > I thought of that, but given the blurring of the lines being

    > > > produced by news organizations firing photogs and delegating the

    > > > job to writers and reporters, it's not hard to imagine someone

    > > > would think he was a photog as well, or at least acting as one.

    > > If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.

    > Just because I make toast in the morning, does that make me a chef?

    No because chef comes from a french word basicly meaning chief of cooks.
    A chef tells other people what and how to cook things to his spec.
    You could be a chef if you're overseeing a cook that is under your command that is doing the toast.

    Whisky-dave, May 19, 2014
  15. RichA

    PAS Guest

    "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:22:05 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    >>wrote:
    >>:
    >>: If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.
    >>
    >>That's way too broad.
    >>
    >>If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.
    >>
    >>Actually, that's still too broad.
    >>
    >>If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs
    >>better one, he's a photographer.
    >>
    >>Still not quite there.
    >>
    >>If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs
    >>better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.
    >>
    >>(Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    >>always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)
    >>

    > If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he
    > needs a better than his wife thinks they can afford, he's a
    > photographer.

    LOL! You have described it perfectly.

    PAS, May 19, 2014
  16. RichA

    PAS Guest

    PAS, May 19, 2014
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/18/2014 8:08 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 May 2014 18:06:58 -0400, Tony Cooper <>
    > wrote:
    > : On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:22:05 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > :
    > : >On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:32:34 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    > : >wrote:
    > : >:
    > : >: If he's got a camera, he's a photographer.
    > : >
    > : >That's way too broad.
    > : >
    > : >If he's got a camera and knows how to use it, he's a photographer.
    > : >
    > : >Actually, that's still too broad.
    > : >
    > : >If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    > : >better one, he's a photographer.
    > : >
    > : >Still not quite there.
    > : >
    > : >If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he needs a
    > : >better one, and he's right, he's a photographer.
    > : >
    > : >(Throughout, I've used the generic "he", but we all know that there have
    > : >always been fine photographers who are women. Just sayin'.)
    > : >
    > : If he's got a camera and knows how to use it well enough to think he
    > : needs a better than his wife thinks they can afford, he's a
    > : photographer.
    > :
    > : Of course, that statement has a built-in fault. His wife thinks that
    > : *any* camera expenditure is more than they can afford. Whatever it
    > : cost could be better spent on shoes for her.
    >
    > In our household it's sort of the other way around. I keep telling Martha she
    > needs a new camera (a 70D, for example), but she prefers her current camera
    > because it weighs less. It was one of the best of the Canon Rebel series, but
    > is now several models out of date.

    One of the members of my CC has a wife who encourages hime ot buy
    cameras & lenses. For every dollar he uses to purchase photo equipment,
    he spends a dollar to buy her jewelry.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, May 20, 2014
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/19/2014 10:44 AM, George Kerby wrote:

    <snip>

    > "bowser" is a lapdog for dimwit libtards. He LOVES Uncle SugarDaddy running
    > his life, so that response was as expected...

    I would be nice to have the freedom to rob banks'
    Should we abolish speed limits on all highways.
    We could save a lot of money if we didn't maintain those pesky red lights.
    I guess it should be illegal to dump mercury into drinking water.

    //end sarcasm tag>

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, May 20, 2014
  19. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > Should we abolish speed limits on all highways.

    that's how it used to be in montana, without mass carnage on the
    highways.
    nospam, May 20, 2014
  20. On 5/21/2014 5:29 PM, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 5/19/14 7:56 PM, in article 190520142056522331%,
    > "nospam" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Should we abolish speed limits on all highways.

    >> that's how it used to be in montana, without mass carnage on the
    >> highways.

    > Heard it was the same on some German Autobahns...

    Unlimited speed was the rule on German Autobahnen but the stretches with
    that seem to decrease annually. I used to like the signs saying "Please,
    no faster than 100" (in German of course it was "Bitte, nicht schneller
    als 100" wasn't it?)

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not." in Reply To.