Given up on Orcon

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. After months of having my ADSL connection drop between telecom's
    exchange and Orcon randomly for a few minutes (sometimes even longer)
    every night (when there's no helpdesk :-( ) and even sometimes during
    the day, I have given up.

    Based on the good reports in past threads here I've moved to Actrix.
    I've Dialup running right now - absolutely zero hassles setting that up,
    and my ADSL will be switched over pronto. The technician was very
    pleasant and helpful, and - unlike Orcon - I did NOT have to wait ages
    to get him on the phone.

    On Monday I'll work on getting my domain hosting switched over, though
    it annoys me that Orcon refuses to give me the UDAI number unless I
    speak to their domain staff on Monday morning. I'm sure this is only
    about making things harder for people switching their hosting from them
    :-( Almost every other hosting company I've used can generate a UDAI
    online with no need to talk to a real person - and certainly no need to
    wait till business hours if via phone support.

    Well, WTF - I can wait and rid myself of Orcon completely in a couple
    days. One more phone call - one last contact - horary! I don't know why
    I put up with them for so long. I really don't.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 2, 2006

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 17:04:12 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > After months of having my ADSL connection drop between telecom's
    > exchange and Orcon randomly for a few minutes (sometimes even longer)
    > every night (when there's no helpdesk :-( ) and even sometimes during
    > the day, I have given up.
    >
    > Based on the good reports in past threads here I've moved to Actrix.
    > I've Dialup running right now - absolutely zero hassles setting that up,
    > and my ADSL will be switched over pronto. The technician was very
    > pleasant and helpful, and - unlike Orcon - I did NOT have to wait ages
    > to get him on the phone.
    >
    > On Monday I'll work on getting my domain hosting switched over, though
    > it annoys me that Orcon refuses to give me the UDAI number unless I
    > speak to their domain staff on Monday morning. I'm sure this is only
    > about making things harder for people switching their hosting from them
    > :-( Almost every other hosting company I've used can generate a UDAI
    > online with no need to talk to a real person - and certainly no need to
    > wait till business hours if via phone support.
    >
    > Well, WTF - I can wait and rid myself of Orcon completely in a couple
    > days. One more phone call - one last contact - horary! I don't know why
    > I put up with them for so long. I really don't.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Hey Jamie,

    I'd get yourself a domain name, and use freeparking or the like. That way
    you're free from UDAI for the rest of your life!

    Steve
    Steve, Sep 2, 2006

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > After months of having my ADSL connection drop between telecom's
    > exchange and Orcon randomly for a few minutes (sometimes even longer)
    > every night (when there's no helpdesk :-( ) and even sometimes during
    > the day, I have given up.
    >
    > Based on the good reports in past threads here I've moved to Actrix.

    [snip]

    That's exactly what I did months ago Jamie and I've never looked back.
    Actrix are a fresh breeze compared to Orcon's fetid stench.

    Welcome to an ISP that actually cares about it's customers. They fixed my
    Telecom problem (that Orcon refused to acknowledge) within a week of being
    with them. On the very same day I reported it to Actrix, (having decided
    that 7 days was enough to prove I was getting drop-outs) less than 24 hours
    later the Telecom tech had changed ports at the local exchange and I was up
    and running again. No more 50+ dropouts a month.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2006
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > After months of having my ADSL connection drop between telecom's
    > exchange and Orcon randomly for a few minutes (sometimes even longer)
    > every night (when there's no helpdesk :-( ) and even sometimes during
    > the day, I have given up.
    >
    > Based on the good reports in past threads here I've moved to Actrix.
    > I've Dialup running right now - absolutely zero hassles setting that up,
    > and my ADSL will be switched over pronto. The technician was very
    > pleasant and helpful, and - unlike Orcon - I did NOT have to wait ages
    > to get him on the phone.
    >
    > On Monday I'll work on getting my domain hosting switched over, though
    > it annoys me that Orcon refuses to give me the UDAI number unless I
    > speak to their domain staff on Monday morning. I'm sure this is only
    > about making things harder for people switching their hosting from them
    > :-( Almost every other hosting company I've used can generate a UDAI
    > online with no need to talk to a real person - and certainly no need to
    > wait till business hours if via phone support.
    >
    > Well, WTF - I can wait and rid myself of Orcon completely in a couple
    > days. One more phone call - one last contact - horary! I don't know why
    > I put up with them for so long. I really don't.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    Hi Jamie....welcome to Actrix. I hope you have as good an experience
    with them as I have over the last year and a bit.

    Top class help desk.

    Two line dropouts in three months of 24/7 running (both between 1 am
    and 2 am which instantly makes me think telecom messing around at the
    exchange)

    I'm averaging 1.5GB per day from a 1GB daily cap

    Any small problems over the last year have been well outweighed by the
    positives.

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Sep 2, 2006
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Vista Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > After months of having my ADSL connection drop between telecom's
    > exchange and Orcon randomly for a few minutes (sometimes even longer)
    > every night (when there's no helpdesk :-( ) and even sometimes during
    > the day, I have given up.
    >
    > Based on the good reports in past threads here I've moved to Actrix.
    > I've Dialup running right now - absolutely zero hassles setting that up,
    > and my ADSL will be switched over pronto. The technician was very
    > pleasant and helpful, and - unlike Orcon - I did NOT have to wait ages
    > to get him on the phone.
    >
    > On Monday I'll work on getting my domain hosting switched over, though
    > it annoys me that Orcon refuses to give me the UDAI number unless I
    > speak to their domain staff on Monday morning. I'm sure this is only
    > about making things harder for people switching their hosting from them
    > :-( Almost every other hosting company I've used can generate a UDAI
    > online with no need to talk to a real person - and certainly no need to
    > wait till business hours if via phone support.
    >
    > Well, WTF - I can wait and rid myself of Orcon completely in a couple
    > days. One more phone call - one last contact - horary! I don't know why
    > I put up with them for so long. I really don't.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    You should be able to generate a new UDAI from your domain control panel
    with your domain provider.
    Vista, Sep 3, 2006
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordy Guest

    I just about gave up on Orcon because of the PPP session drop outs.

    The helpdesk tried to blame the dropouts on the hardware level/link to
    Telecom.

    When I asked the helpdesk for Link and PPP logs I never heard back
    from the helpdesk again. (In one instance I recall, the link remained
    connected for 16 days while the PPP session dropped out several times
    per day)

    While the PPP dropouts continue, I have found a simple solution that
    restores the PPP session automatically.

    Before moving I will wait until the UBS dust has settled.

    Cheers

    Gordon.
    Gordy, Sep 3, 2006
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 17:04:12 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > On Monday I'll work on getting my domain hosting switched over, though
    > it annoys me that Orcon refuses to give me the UDAI number unless I
    > speak to their domain staff on Monday morning. I'm sure this is only
    > about making things harder for people switching their hosting from them
    > :-( Almost every other hosting company I've used can generate a UDAI
    > online with no need to talk to a real person - and certainly no need to
    > wait till business hours if via phone support.

    Look, you should have a copy of your UDAI at all times. It is important,
    it is the key/password to your domain.
    Gordon, Sep 3, 2006
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 17:45:51 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > Hey Jamie,
    >
    > I'd get yourself a domain name, and use freeparking or the like. That way
    > you're free from UDAI for the rest of your life!

    I must be missing something. A UDAI goes with a domain name. I have both.
    Each year my web hosting company sends me an e-mail saying what the UDAI
    is and please do not lose it, for it is important.
    Gordon, Sep 3, 2006
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Stu Fleming Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Look, you should have a copy of your UDAI at all times. It is important,
    > it is the key/password to your domain.

    Quite often, they expire/become unusable.
    Stu Fleming, Sep 3, 2006
  10. "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Look, you should have a copy of your UDAI at all times. It is important,
    >> it is the key/password to your domain.
    >>

    > Quite often, they expire/become unusable.

    A UDAI does not expire, but changes when it moves between registrars or a
    registrar can ask for a new one to be made at anytime.

    And getting back to the orginal problem. If you log into your account at
    Orcon, you can get your UDIA online quite easily for your domain.

    Thanks
    Craig
    Myself
    Craig Whitmore, Sep 3, 2006
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:34:07 +1200, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 17:45:51 +1200, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Jamie,
    >>
    >> I'd get yourself a domain name, and use freeparking or the like. That way
    >> you're free from UDAI for the rest of your life!

    > I must be missing something. A UDAI goes with a domain name. I have both.
    > Each year my web hosting company sends me an e-mail saying what the UDAI
    > is and please do not lose it, for it is important.

    DNS controls where to look for your content. You can ftp that content
    wherever you want. If you use a service like free parking, then you'll
    never need an UDAI, for you're in control of your dns, not a web hosting
    company.

    Steve
    Steve, Sep 3, 2006
  12. Craig Whitmore <> wrote:

    > "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > >> Look, you should have a copy of your UDAI at all times. It is important,
    > >> it is the key/password to your domain.
    > >>

    > > Quite often, they expire/become unusable.

    > A UDAI does not expire, but changes when it moves between registrars or a
    > registrar can ask for a new one to be made at anytime.
    >
    > And getting back to the orginal problem. If you log into your account at
    > Orcon, you can get your UDIA online quite easily for your domain.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig
    > Myself

    I could not find how to get or generate a UDAI from within my account
    pages. It must be VERY well hidden. Also I was told, when I phoned
    support after wasting 10 minutes looking on Orcon's website, that the
    only way I could obtain my UDAI was to phone Orcon's Domain support on
    0800 55 2000 - opt 2. I asked if instead it could be emailed to me. I
    was told no. The ONLY way was by phoning that number within business
    hours :-(

    Are you NOW telling me the support people were feeding me a line?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 4, 2006
  13. ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > After months of having my ADSL connection drop between telecom's
    > > exchange and Orcon randomly for a few minutes (sometimes even longer)
    > > every night (when there's no helpdesk :-( ) and even sometimes during
    > > the day, I have given up.
    > >
    > > Based on the good reports in past threads here I've moved to Actrix.

    > [snip]
    >
    > That's exactly what I did months ago Jamie and I've never looked back.
    > Actrix are a fresh breeze compared to Orcon's fetid stench.

    LOL. I would not have put it quite that way, but certainly Orcon really
    seems to have dropped the ball. THEY used to be _the_ ISP I'd recommend
    to friends wanting better service (usually people fleeing Xtra). Now I
    wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

    > Welcome to an ISP that actually cares about it's customers. They fixed my
    > Telecom problem (that Orcon refused to acknowledge) within a week of being
    > with them. On the very same day I reported it to Actrix, (having decided
    > that 7 days was enough to prove I was getting drop-outs) less than 24 hours
    > later the Telecom tech had changed ports at the local exchange and I was up
    > and running again. No more 50+ dropouts a month.

    Tell you what - I've been VERY impressed with Actrix's speedy setup and
    that every tech I've spoken with so far knows _exactly_ what I'm talking
    about. It is very distressing when I have to explain things to a support
    tech, and it seemed to happen all too frequently at Orcon. Now and again
    I'd come across knowledgeable Orcon tech, but I still never got my issue
    of dropouts between Telecom and them sorted.

    Also - Actrix tells me the order for switching my ADSL over to them
    should happen TOMORROW :) I almost cannot believe it and am waiting to
    see if Telecom ACTUALLY actions this before I get too excited. I will
    report back, but if I really do get my Actrix ADSL up and running
    tomorrow I will be delighted. Could it be that Telecom (I realise the
    holdups in this matter are mainly down to Telecom, not the ISP) is
    actually getting off their arses or is it just a quiet patch for ADSL
    installs at the exchange? THREE days from setting up my account to ADSL
    up and running - if it happens I will be impressed. How long have other
    switchers been waiting of late?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 4, 2006
  14. >
    > I could not find how to get or generate a UDAI from within my account
    > pages. It must be VERY well hidden.

    My Orcon (login)
    My Services - Domains
    Click on Your Domain
    Get Password (on Right)

    Thanks
    Craig
    Talking for Myself
    Craig Whitmore, Sep 4, 2006
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    David Empson Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:

    > Also - Actrix tells me the order for switching my ADSL over to them
    > should happen TOMORROW :) I almost cannot believe it and am waiting to
    > see if Telecom ACTUALLY actions this before I get too excited. I will
    > report back, but if I really do get my Actrix ADSL up and running
    > tomorrow I will be delighted. Could it be that Telecom (I realise the
    > holdups in this matter are mainly down to Telecom, not the ISP) is
    > actually getting off their arses or is it just a quiet patch for ADSL
    > installs at the exchange? THREE days from setting up my account to ADSL
    > up and running - if it happens I will be impressed. How long have other
    > switchers been waiting of late?

    My initial installation of ADSL (with Actrix) in March took two or three
    days.

    I then moved house (on the same exchange) and that took more like five
    days. Actrix put me back on dial-up for the transition period.

    I've been very happy with Actrix (been using them on dial-up since about
    1992, now up to 5 months on ADSL).

    Occasional problems with my ADSL reliability (random disconnects, mostly
    around noon or in the wee small hours) are almost certainly Telecom's
    fault.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Sep 4, 2006
  16. David Empson <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet <> wrote:
    >
    > > Also - Actrix tells me the order for switching my ADSL over to them
    > > should happen TOMORROW :) I almost cannot believe it and am waiting to
    > > see if Telecom ACTUALLY actions this before I get too excited. I will
    > > report back, but if I really do get my Actrix ADSL up and running
    > > tomorrow I will be delighted. Could it be that Telecom (I realise the
    > > holdups in this matter are mainly down to Telecom, not the ISP) is
    > > actually getting off their arses or is it just a quiet patch for ADSL
    > > installs at the exchange? THREE days from setting up my account to ADSL
    > > up and running - if it happens I will be impressed. How long have other
    > > switchers been waiting of late?

    > My initial installation of ADSL (with Actrix) in March took two or three
    > days.
    >
    > I then moved house (on the same exchange) and that took more like five
    > days. Actrix put me back on dial-up for the transition period.
    >
    > I've been very happy with Actrix (been using them on dial-up since about
    > 1992, now up to 5 months on ADSL).
    >
    > Occasional problems with my ADSL reliability (random disconnects, mostly
    > around noon or in the wee small hours) are almost certainly Telecom's
    > fault.

    Well - they were as good as their word :) I'm now up and running with
    Actrix's 1GB per day plan, and once again they answered their phones
    quick smart when I called to activate my ADSL account. I'm one happy
    refugee from Orcon.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 5, 2006
  17. Craig Whitmore <> wrote:

    > > I could not find how to get or generate a UDAI from within my account
    > > pages. It must be VERY well hidden.

    > My Orcon (login)
    > My Services - Domains
    > Click on Your Domain
    > Get Password (on Right)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig
    > Talking for Myself

    Thanks, but too late now. I wish Orcon's tech support had advised me of
    that...

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 5, 2006