Given extra time against my will

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by James Waite, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. James Waite

    James Waite Guest

    Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.

    I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?

    James
     
    James Waite, Sep 18, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    > 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    > see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    > non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    >
    > I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    > English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    > the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    > languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?


    So bring a GameBoy Advanced...

    --
    Fris "Or a not-so-advanced GameGirl®" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
     
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Sep 18, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. James Waite

    billyw Guest

    whats whacked about it?
    just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean that
    the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't specify
    the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..

    "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    > 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    > see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    > non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    >
    > I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    > English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    > the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    > languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    >
    > James
     
    billyw, Sep 18, 2003
    #3
  4. James Waite

    James Waite Guest

    Regardless of your confidence in my English ability (I was born in the
    US and lived there until I moved to Germany 2 years ago) it would
    seem a better policy to me to only give the extra time to people who,

    1. Ask for it.
    2. Provide documentation they need it.



    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:28:45 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:

    >whats whacked about it?
    >just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean that
    >the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't specify
    >the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..
    >
    >"James Waite" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    >> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    >> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    >> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    >>
    >> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    >> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    >> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    >> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    >>
    >> James

    >
     
    James Waite, Sep 18, 2003
    #4
  5. James Waite

    James Waite Guest

    That's the thing

    1. The test is offerd in German as well as most other european
    langueges, you CAN request whatever language you want when you sign up

    2. The extra time is not being given based on where I take the test
    but where I live. The test I took last week, in Germany but with a
    California home address, allowed the normal amount of time.



    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:19:50 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:

    >surely when in germany then it would be safe to assume that the majority of
    >the test victims would be germans speakers.
    >so why would a german in germany feel he had to specifically ask for
    >1. the test in german.
    >2, provide documents they speak german.
    >
    >can you provide documents that you speak english.. i would suggest a
    >passport is not such a document btw.
    >
    >not thought a lot about this have you....
    >
    >
    >"James Waite" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Regardless of your confidence in my English ability (I was born in the
    >> US and lived there until I moved to Germany 2 years ago) it would
    >> seem a better policy to me to only give the extra time to people who,
    >>
    >> 1. Ask for it.
    >> 2. Provide documentation they need it.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:28:45 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >whats whacked about it?
    >> >just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean

    >that
    >> >the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't

    >specify
    >> >the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..
    >> >
    >> >"James Waite" <> wrote in message
    >> >news:...
    >> >> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    >> >> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    >> >> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    >> >> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    >> >>
    >> >> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    >> >> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    >> >> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    >> >> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    >> >>
    >> >> James
    >> >

    >>

    >
     
    James Waite, Sep 18, 2003
    #5
  6. James Waite

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Just a question....

    Why do really care? It is not like they are forcing you to take an extra 30
    minutes. You can still quit an leave when you are finished. So why are you
    so upset that they are giving you an extra 30 minutes? It seems like the
    rest of us should be upset that we are not given the extra 30 minutes. (Not
    that I really care, I usually finish with at least 30 minutes to spare)


    --
    Kendal R. Emery, MCSE, Network+, A+, MCNGP #19
    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me
    "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    > 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    > see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    > non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    >
    > I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    > English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    > the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    > languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    >
    > James
     
    Kendal Emery, Sep 18, 2003
    #6
  7. James Waite

    Consultant Guest

    you are just whacked

    "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    > 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    > see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    > non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    >
    > I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    > English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    > the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    > languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    >
    > James
     
    Consultant, Sep 18, 2003
    #7
  8. I can't (and won't) ask for Norwegian exams.

    But why cry about 30 mins extra time? You can go home when you are ready for
    a beer. I'm not that good in English but I have never used the extra time,
    the latest 70-229 was done in 55 mins.

    Petter
    Oslo, Norway
    "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > That's the thing
    >
    > 1. The test is offerd in German as well as most other european
    > langueges, you CAN request whatever language you want when you sign up
    >
    > 2. The extra time is not being given based on where I take the test
    > but where I live. The test I took last week, in Germany but with a
    > California home address, allowed the normal amount of time.
    >
    >
    >
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:19:50 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:
    >
    > >surely when in germany then it would be safe to assume that the majority

    of
    > >the test victims would be germans speakers.
    > >so why would a german in germany feel he had to specifically ask for
    > >1. the test in german.
    > >2, provide documents they speak german.
    > >
    > >can you provide documents that you speak english.. i would suggest a
    > >passport is not such a document btw.
    > >
    > >not thought a lot about this have you....
    > >
    > >
    > >"James Waite" <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> Regardless of your confidence in my English ability (I was born in the
    > >> US and lived there until I moved to Germany 2 years ago) it would
    > >> seem a better policy to me to only give the extra time to people who,
    > >>
    > >> 1. Ask for it.
    > >> 2. Provide documentation they need it.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:28:45 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >whats whacked about it?
    > >> >just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean

    > >that
    > >> >the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't

    > >specify
    > >> >the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..
    > >> >
    > >> >"James Waite" <> wrote in message
    > >> >news:...
    > >> >> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to

    take
    > >> >> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    > >> >> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension

    for
    > >> >> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker

    (American
    > >> >> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done

    as
    > >> >> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    > >> >> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    > >> >>
    > >> >> James
    > >> >
    > >>

    > >

    >
     
    Petter Børkeeiet, Sep 18, 2003
    #8
  9. James Waite

    billyw Guest

    i think thats a fair comment..
    maybe he was just feeling the need to feel important today..
    shame really, cause he comes across as a twat

    "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > you are just whacked
    >
    > "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    > > 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    > > see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    > > non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    > >
    > > I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    > > English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    > > the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    > > languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    > >
    > > James

    >
    >
     
    billyw, Sep 18, 2003
    #9
  10. James Waite

    Dev Lunsford Guest

    The reason he's saying all this isn't because he cares so much about having
    too much time himself - it's about the system, and why should people get
    extra time just because of where they live, when they don't need it? he's
    right, they should wait until someone asks for extra time before giving it
    to them.

    -dev...
     
    Dev Lunsford, Sep 19, 2003
    #10
  11. James Waite

    James Waite Guest

    Exactly...

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:10:55 +0100, "Dev Lunsford"
    <> wrote:

    >The reason he's saying all this isn't because he cares so much about having
    >too much time himself - it's about the system, and why should people get
    >extra time just because of where they live, when they don't need it? he's
    >right, they should wait until someone asks for extra time before giving it
    >to them.
    >
    >-dev...
    >
     
    James Waite, Sep 19, 2003
    #11
  12. James Waite

    billyw Guest

    your obviously looking at things from a very selfish standpoint..
    i assume that if you are struggling with the exam and time expires (although
    u have 30 minutes left) you will finish it and see the outcome.. otherwise
    using your logic you would be having an "unfair advantage"
    they say travel broadens the mind... obviously not true for everyone


    "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Exactly...
    >
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:10:55 +0100, "Dev Lunsford"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >The reason he's saying all this isn't because he cares so much about

    having
    > >too much time himself - it's about the system, and why should people get
    > >extra time just because of where they live, when they don't need it?

    he's
    > >right, they should wait until someone asks for extra time before giving

    it
    > >to them.
    > >
    > >-dev...
    > >

    >
     
    billyw, Sep 19, 2003
    #12
  13. James Waite

    AT Guest

    What is the problem with getting the extra 30 minutes?
    You can still leave when ever you want to!

    AT

    "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > That's the thing
    >
    > 1. The test is offerd in German as well as most other european
    > langueges, you CAN request whatever language you want when you sign up
    >
    > 2. The extra time is not being given based on where I take the test
    > but where I live. The test I took last week, in Germany but with a
    > California home address, allowed the normal amount of time.
    >
    >
    >
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:19:50 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:
    >
    > >surely when in germany then it would be safe to assume that the majority

    of
    > >the test victims would be germans speakers.
    > >so why would a german in germany feel he had to specifically ask for
    > >1. the test in german.
    > >2, provide documents they speak german.
    > >
    > >can you provide documents that you speak english.. i would suggest a
    > >passport is not such a document btw.
    > >
    > >not thought a lot about this have you....
    > >
    > >
    > >"James Waite" <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> Regardless of your confidence in my English ability (I was born in the
    > >> US and lived there until I moved to Germany 2 years ago) it would
    > >> seem a better policy to me to only give the extra time to people who,
    > >>
    > >> 1. Ask for it.
    > >> 2. Provide documentation they need it.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:28:45 +0100, "billyw" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >whats whacked about it?
    > >> >just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean

    > >that
    > >> >the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't

    > >specify
    > >> >the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..
    > >> >
    > >> >"James Waite" <> wrote in message
    > >> >news:...
    > >> >> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to

    take
    > >> >> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    > >> >> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension

    for
    > >> >> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker

    (American
    > >> >> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done

    as
    > >> >> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    > >> >> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    > >> >>
    > >> >> James
    > >> >
    > >>

    > >

    >
     
    AT, Sep 22, 2003
    #13
  14. James Waite

    S. O'Brien Guest

    I think that everyone is forgetting the purpose of this post. I believe the
    poster was objecting because the rest of us only have a certain allotted
    time for our exams and, being fluently english, he is objecting to getting
    special treatment just because of where he lives. I agree that he should
    not be given preferential treatment but if that is the policy, there isnt
    much he can do. I'd say he should just time himself and then end the exam
    at the allotted time (that the rest of us have) and hope for the best. That
    is about all he can do.

    Just my opinion

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
    enough people to make it worth the effort."
    Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

    "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
    > 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
    > see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
    > non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
    >
    > I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
    > English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
    > the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
    > languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?
    >
    > James
     
    S. O'Brien, Sep 22, 2003
    #14
  15. James Waite

    Walking Fish Guest

    James is right. You should only be able to get extra time when a test is not
    available in your own native language. Else people outside conus get an
    advantage (30 minutes is a lot of time). When I spend hundreds of dollars on
    a cert like mcse I want to be sure that it's worth something and doesn't
    allow for loopholes like that. This has nothing to do with being selfish..


    "billyw" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > your obviously looking at things from a very selfish standpoint..
    > i assume that if you are struggling with the exam and time expires

    (although
    > u have 30 minutes left) you will finish it and see the outcome.. otherwise
    > using your logic you would be having an "unfair advantage"
    > they say travel broadens the mind... obviously not true for everyone
    >
    >
    > "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Exactly...
    > >
    > > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:10:55 +0100, "Dev Lunsford"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >The reason he's saying all this isn't because he cares so much about

    > having
    > > >too much time himself - it's about the system, and why should people

    get
    > > >extra time just because of where they live, when they don't need it?

    > he's
    > > >right, they should wait until someone asks for extra time before giving

    > it
    > > >to them.
    > > >
    > > >-dev...
    > > >

    > >

    >
    >
     
    Walking Fish, Sep 22, 2003
    #15
  16. James Waite

    Crys Guest

    Sheesh!

    Well after all this debate, please let us know how you did
    and how long it took.

    Hope it goes well.

    >-----Original Message-----
    >James is right. You should only be able to get extra time

    when a test is not
    >available in your own native language. Else people

    outside conus get an
    >advantage (30 minutes is a lot of time). When I spend

    hundreds of dollars on
    >a cert like mcse I want to be sure that it's worth

    something and doesn't
    >allow for loopholes like that. This has nothing to do

    with being selfish..
    >
    >
    >"billyw" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> your obviously looking at things from a very selfish

    standpoint..
    >> i assume that if you are struggling with the exam and

    time expires
    >(although
    >> u have 30 minutes left) you will finish it and see the

    outcome.. otherwise
    >> using your logic you would be having an "unfair

    advantage"
    >> they say travel broadens the mind... obviously not true

    for everyone
    >>
    >>
    >> "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> > Exactly...
    >> >
    >> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:10:55 +0100, "Dev Lunsford"
    >> > <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > >The reason he's saying all this isn't because he

    cares so much about
    >> having
    >> > >too much time himself - it's about the system, and

    why should people
    >get
    >> > >extra time just because of where they live, when

    they don't need it?
    >> he's
    >> > >right, they should wait until someone asks for extra

    time before giving
    >> it
    >> > >to them.
    >> > >
    >> > >-dev...
    >> > >
    >> >

    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >.
    >
     
    Crys, Sep 23, 2003
    #16
  17. James Waite

    Waite, James Guest

    Re: Sheesh!

    Right, I passed....in just a little over an hour....

    "Crys" <> wrote in message
    news:064f01c38213$8610bfe0$...
    > Well after all this debate, please let us know how you did
    > and how long it took.
    >
    > Hope it goes well.
    >
    > >-----Original Message-----
    > >James is right. You should only be able to get extra time

    > when a test is not
    > >available in your own native language. Else people

    > outside conus get an
    > >advantage (30 minutes is a lot of time). When I spend

    > hundreds of dollars on
    > >a cert like mcse I want to be sure that it's worth

    > something and doesn't
    > >allow for loopholes like that. This has nothing to do

    > with being selfish..
    > >
    > >
    > >"billyw" <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> your obviously looking at things from a very selfish

    > standpoint..
    > >> i assume that if you are struggling with the exam and

    > time expires
    > >(although
    > >> u have 30 minutes left) you will finish it and see the

    > outcome.. otherwise
    > >> using your logic you would be having an "unfair

    > advantage"
    > >> they say travel broadens the mind... obviously not true

    > for everyone
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> "James Waite" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> > Exactly...
    > >> >
    > >> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:10:55 +0100, "Dev Lunsford"
    > >> > <> wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> > >The reason he's saying all this isn't because he

    > cares so much about
    > >> having
    > >> > >too much time himself - it's about the system, and

    > why should people
    > >get
    > >> > >extra time just because of where they live, when

    > they don't need it?
    > >> he's
    > >> > >right, they should wait until someone asks for extra

    > time before giving
    > >> it
    > >> > >to them.
    > >> > >
    > >> > >-dev...
    > >> > >
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > >
    > >.
    > >
     
    Waite, James, Sep 23, 2003
    #17
  18. James Waite

    JaR Guest

    Re: Sheesh!

    "Waite, James" <> wrote in message
    news:bkqfc4$3dc$01$-online.com...
    > Right, I passed....in just a little over an hour....
    >


    Thank $Deity!

    Congratulations anyway ;-)


    --
    J.R. Jones
    A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP#..............42
     
    JaR, Sep 23, 2003
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. James Waite

    Given extra time against my will

    James Waite, Sep 18, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    777
  2. Robert11
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    522
    Old Gringo
    Dec 5, 2004
  3. peter
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    520
    AZ Nomad
    Mar 17, 2006
  4. Blig Merk
    Replies:
    66
    Views:
    1,953
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
    Apr 27, 2008
  5. Fabio
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    598
    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD
    Jan 3, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page