    3 does formatting hard drive give you everything in terms of disc space back
    or will windows already know that I has had a previous xp version on it.
    Thanks
    tony crwoder, Feb 10, 2006

  2. tony crwoder

    Special Ed Guest

    "tony crwoder" <> wrote in message
    news:Jj%Gf.39008$...
    > ive been given a fairly new pc
    > some questions
    > 1 when I have gone onto the net with new pc and attempted to download the
    > win xp updates etc it tells me pc has not been validated.
    > Does that mean its never been on the net
    > 2 I have the windows reg code key for this machine .does this mean that it
    > can be formatted and the windows activating key can be used with no
    > problems or do I have to phone Microsoft
    > 3 does formatting hard drive give you everything in terms of disc space
    > back or will windows already know that I has had a previous xp version on
    > it.
    > Thanks

    1-- It means you've never run the validation program. You'll need to do that
    before you can update at the MS website.

    2-- If the key is valid, you're good to go.

    3-- Reformat/reinstall will give you a clean, fresh start with full disk
    capacity, assuming there aren't bad sectors in the disk.

    Edw.
    Special Ed, Feb 10, 2006

  3. tony crwoder

    Trax Guest

    "tony crwoder" <> wrote:

    |>ive been given a fairly new pc
    |>some questions
    |>1 when I have gone onto the net with new pc and attempted to download the
    |>win xp updates etc it tells me pc has not been validated.
    |>Does that mean its never been on the net
    |>2 I have the windows reg code key for this machine .does this mean that it
    |>can be formatted and the windows activating key can be used with no problems
    |>or do I have to phone Microsoft
    |>3 does formatting hard drive give you everything in terms of disc space back
    |>or will windows already know that I has had a previous xp version on it.
    |>Thanks

    This used to work, might give it a try.
    http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/28/microsoft_genuine_ad.html

    --