    is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.

    Cheers in advance..
    Trip

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 19, 2004

  2. Tripmonkey (UK)

    chidalgo Guest

    Tripmonkey (UK) escribio:

    > Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
    > Just curious as to how well it compares.
    > Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
    > editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
    > I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
    > opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
    > progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
    > easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
    > with it's features.
    > For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
    > complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
    > I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
    > is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.
    >
    > Cheers in advance..
    > Trip

    I love open source, and like GIMP, but it can't be compared to Photoshop.

    For basic editing plus something else, it's good. But Photoshop is by
    far the best.

    Of course, in Photoshop you need to pay (a lot!) for its perfection :)

    GIMP is good, but maybe is not good enough. If money is an issue, go
    with GIMP.

    --
    chidalgo

    chidalgo, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Tripmonkey (UK)

    GT40 Guest

    The GIMP is the best for the price!! Can do most basic PS functions

    GT40, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Do the layers handle the same way in Gimp as they do in Photoshop?

    Trip

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 20, 2004
  5. Tripmonkey (UK)

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Tripmonkey (UK)" <> wrote in message
    > Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
    > Just curious as to how well it compares.
    > Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
    > editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
    > I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
    > opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
    > progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
    > easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
    > with it's features.
    > For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
    > complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
    > I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
    > is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.
    >
    > Cheers in advance..
    > Trip

    I never used Photoshop. Couldn't justify the cost. But I have
    used the Gimp on Windows. It works well.

    I've also consumer oriented photo editors - Photosuite,
    Picture It, and the precursor to Photoshop Elements.

    My impression is that the Gimp is much better than the consumer
    oriented photo editors, but is much harder to use. Photoshop
    may also be harder to use. For casual users who want to
    crop a photo, sharpen it, and maybe brighten the color, the
    Gimp will be very intimidating. However if they really want
    to put some learning time in and want to get excellent results,
    the Gimp will do really well.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Oct 20, 2004
  6. Tripmonkey (UK) wrote:

    > Do the layers handle the same way in Gimp as they do in Photoshop?

    Yes, but only in so far as they go. GIMP doesn't have adjustment layers, or
    layer clipping, or layer sets, etc. It has the basics of Photoshop and no
    more. Blend modes work in the same way and have the same names for the most
    part, so at least that should be familiar.

    Derek Fountain, Oct 20, 2004
  7. Tripmonkey (UK)

    Chris D Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:43:46 GMT
    "Tripmonkey (UK)" <> wrote:

    > I build a lot of computers for people and
    > they are always asking my opinion on what software to use. I
    > try and steer them away from pirate progs and to the freeware
    > ones as much as possible but it's not that easy with programs
    > like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete with
    > it's features.

    Being in a similar position to you (Not so much with
    Photoediting, but mainly office stuff) - My advice to people is
    to Go with the freeware program, try it for a week or two. If
    you don't like it, or it doesn't have all the features you need,
    well then you think about shelling out the cash for something
    "better", for want of a better word. If you fork out (x)
    dollars, then realise that you could have used freeware, you've
    lost (x) dollars, which is normally a pretty big number. If you
    use freeware, realise it's not enough, then buy something,
    you've lost nothing but the time you spent trying the freeware.

    -Chris D

    Chris D, Oct 20, 2004
  8. Tripmonkey (UK)

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Tripmonkey (UK)" <> wrote in news:CMgdd.85888
    $:

    > Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
    > Just curious as to how well it compares.

    Not very. Pretty spiffy for web graphics, not so hot for color correction
    and getting good hardcopy. And the Windows version usually is a low
    priority for updates.

    JASC's Paint Shop Pro is a great low-cost alternative. The price obviously
    isn't as good as GIMP, but it's worlds better than Photoshop in that
    regard. Less geek oriented and has a strong user support base, too.

    <snip>

    Eric Gill, Oct 20, 2004
  9. Tripmonkey (UK)

    Ed Guest

    I was just trying it out today and one thing I noticed is the slowness of
    it. As you move an adjustment slider, you don't see the change until you
    let go of it and then you have to wait several seconds to see the change in
    your picture. They don't have a preview button that you can check and
    uncheck to see the before and after. There also is an inconsistency in how
    different functions work. Some preview the change, some don't.

    In the end, I uninstalled the whole package. I'll stick with Photoshop and
    Picture Window.

    Ed

    Ed, Oct 20, 2004
  10. I agree with u completely Chris.

    The trouble is that most of the people who buy computers from me are
    lazy newbies that don't want to spend the time trying out different
    software. All they really want is the work done with the smallest amount
    of effort. I had someone ask me to get a copy of MSoffice for them the
    other week, I told them that OpenOffice that I had installed could save
    the files in the same format and do exactly what they wanted it to do
    but they still wanted me to waste my time getting it?
    They have a tendency to believe hyped up programs and they expect me to
    provide them, at no extra cost of course (legal or not).
    If they hear that Photoshop is the best photo editing software then they
    want it. It doesn't matter that they will never use it for anything more
    basic than rotating a photo.

    From what I've seen of the Gimp so far, it will be a perfect
    replacement for it. I only had a quick 30mins go after installation but
    once I got my head around the separate tool bars and such, I found it
    much easier to do most of the things that I did with Photoshop, and it
    seems to me to be just as powerful.

    One thing that I would miss in Photoshop though would be the shadowlab
    that comes with the eyecandy plugin. I tend to use it quite a bit. If
    any one's got an idea how I can do that stuff with Gimp will u plz let
    me know.
    Got to be said though, so far I'm converted.

    Trip

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 20, 2004
  11. Tripmonkey (UK)

    GT40 Guest

    What do you expect for free?

    GT40, Oct 20, 2004
  12. Tripmonkey (UK)

    bob Guest

    Derek Fountain <> wrote in

    > es, but only in so far as they go. GIMP doesn't have adjustment
    > layers, or layer clipping, or layer sets, etc. It has the basics of
    > Photoshop and no more. Blend modes work in the same way and have the
    > same names for the most part, so at least that should be familiar.

    Lacking adjustment layers, one would need much more storage space to keep
    original photos as well as adjusted ones. Given the low price of storage
    these days, spending a trifle on software with adjustment layers might make
    sense, if one is a prolific photographer.

    I think Gimp is pretty cool, and if mostly what you want to do is cropping
    and general brightness/contrast, with maybe occasional "serious" editing,
    then it's hard to beat the price.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Oct 20, 2004
  13. Tripmonkey (UK)

    bob Guest

    "Tripmonkey (UK)" <> wrote in news:uskdd.116257
    $:

    > All they really want is the work done with the smallest amount
    > of effort.

    Do they want the smallest amount of effort, or the smallest amout of cash
    outlay?

    > I had someone ask me to get a copy of MSoffice for them the
    > other week, I told them that OpenOffice that I had installed could save
    > the files in the same format and do exactly what they wanted it to do
    > but they still wanted me to waste my time getting it?

    OpenOffice can open some files that MS Office creates, and vice-versa, but
    you cannot open the reports my office creates using MS Word in OpenOffice.
    Well, I suppose you can open them, but unfortunately they don't really
    resemble the originals.

    I wish these open source programs could do *exactly* what the bloat ware
    versions do, but they don't. When you're giving a deposition, the
    difference between exactly and almost is huge.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Oct 20, 2004
  14. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:13:39 +0000, GT40 wrote:

    > What do you expect for free?

    Better and better open source.

    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:47:36 -0400, "Ed" <ekirstein_atcatskill.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I was just trying it out today and one thing I noticed is the slowness
    >>of it. As you move an adjustment slider, you don't see the change until
    >>you let go of it and then you have to wait several seconds to see the
    >>change in your picture. They don't have a preview button that you can
    >>check and uncheck to see the before and after. There also is an
    >>inconsistency in how different functions work. Some preview the change,
    >>some don't.
    >>
    >>In the end, I uninstalled the whole package. I'll stick with Photoshop
    >>and Picture Window.

    The preview boxes are there and work fine, at least on brightness/contrast
    adjustments. I am running gimp 2.0:

    http://www.aracnet.com/~patman/images/gimp_dump.jpg

    And I don't have any performance issues.

    -- Patrick Mansfield

    Patrick Mansfield, Oct 20, 2004
  15. Tripmonkey (UK)

    Jer Guest

    Tripmonkey (UK) wrote:

    > I agree with u completely Chris.
    >
    > The trouble is that most of the people who buy computers from me are
    > lazy newbies that don't want to spend the time trying out different
    > software. All they really want is the work done with the smallest amount
    > of effort.

    In that case, forget software, go with PictBridge.

    [....]

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 20, 2004
  16. Would do but they don't want to pay out for expensive hardware either lol

    Trip

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 20, 2004
  17. From what I've read online the programmers are aware of some of the
    preview issues and it's the main thing that they are aiming to sort out
    in the next release.
    Here's hoping. wish I knew coding I could maybe give'm a hand.
    Just discovered some of the plugins for Gimp and it's got to be said, I
    like this software more & more every time I mess with it.
    From the looks of it there are a lot more free tutorials than what I
    found for Photoshop too.

    Trip

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 20, 2004
  18. I have managed to download and install GIMP for Windows but I am
    unable to get it to print. I am running this on a Windows XP box with
    SP2 installed.

    Any ideas on how to get GIMP for Windows to print?

    btw, I have been using GIMP in Linux on and off over the years.

    roland

    roland behunin, Oct 20, 2004
  19. ??? On mine I just goto the menu bar on the pictures window and then
    goto file/print, Same as any other programs.
    Is your printer being recognized by windows?
    What type of printer are u using?

    Trip

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 21, 2004
  20. Just thought.. Make sure that all of your layers are combined into 1 as
    it won't let u print multiple layers I don't think.

    Trip

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 21, 2004