GIGO

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    GIGO

    When bureaucrats blame their latest mess on "the computer," computer-
    literate people sometimes reply "GIGO," or "Garbage In, Garbage Out."
    In other words, if a computer is programmed with garbage, then garbage
    will be the result. Unfortunately, a significant portion of this
    garbage is routed to printing devices, with the result that tons of
    paper are wasted each day. Some of this paper is recycled. More
    recently, though, some enterprising people have been buying up
    discarded computer printout, shredding it, and selling it to horse
    people for use as a bedding material.

    "So what the heck is 'bedding'?" I'm glad you asked! Bedding is what
    you put down on the bottom of a horse's stall to provide comfort and
    sanitation for your horse. The average 1,200lb. stable-kept horse
    drinks at least eight gallons of water, and eats 20lbs. of hay each
    day. I don't think I have to tell you what becomes of most of that, so
    an essential quality of good bedding is absorbency, and it would seem
    that traditional materials such as straw and wood shavings are no match
    for shredded printout. So, for all of you software developers, coders,
    and computer programmers: Beware! The equine world is watching now, and
    even as you are reading this, your local rancher's prized appaloosa
    mare is likely rendering her "opinion" over all your hard work!

    Jeff
    Jeff, Apr 7, 2004