GIGLI: Terrible, But No Train Wreck.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Is _Gigli_ one of the worst movies ever made? Unfortunately, no.

    It's terrible, but it isn't dreadful. Therefore, it isn't bad enough to
    become a cult classic, like _Plan 9 From Outer Space_ or _Attack of the
    Killer Tomatoes_.

    The theatrical proceeds amounted to around 10% of the $55 million cost
    of making _Gigli_. Maybe the home video proceeds will recover another
    10%.

    The VHS review is in:

    DRAMA
    121 min., R (mature themes, language, profanity, sexual situations), VHS
    rental, DVD $26.98
    DVD: no extras
    Street: Dec. 9, Prebook: Nov. 18
    First Run: W, July 2003, $5.6 mil.
    Cast: Ben Affleck (The Sum of All Fears),
    Jennifer Lopez (The Cell),
    Justin Bartha, Lenny Venito (Men in Black II),
    Christopher Walken (Catch Me If You Can),
    Al Pacino (Heat)
    Director: Martin Brest
    COLUMBIA TRISTAR

    Story Line: Los Angeles crime boss Louis (Venito) assigns cocky Larry
    Gigli (Affleck) to kidnap Brian (Bartha), the mentally challenged kid
    brother of a prosecuting attorney going after the Mob. Unsure of Larry's
    abilities to handle the job, Louis sends beautiful hit woman Ricki
    (Lopez) to join him on his assignment. Eventually, Larry falls in love
    with Ricki--but she's a lesbian.
    Bottom Line: The movie that nobody could pronounce became the movie that
    nobody went to see: prompting disastrous reviews and unending bad
    publicity. Gigli tanked at the box-office, bringing in slightly less
    than $6 million on a $55 million budget. Curiosity seekers will no doubt
    be interested to find out if the film is as notoriously bad as reported.
    The answer is a definitive "no." The film is too low-key and, well,
    likable to be so atrocious. Sure, there are some dead spots, the cameos
    by Walken and Pacino seem to have come from other films and the plot,
    ultimately, has no pay-off. However, the chemistry between the two leads
    is definitely there, some of the dialog is snappy and the ending
    involving the kidnapped kid is genuinely affecting. So, the video
    arrival of Gigli will no doubt please Ben and J-Lo fans, but those
    expecting a train wreck of epic proportions might be in for a
    surprise--pleasant or unpleasant depending upon their
    expectations. --Irv Slifkin

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=6480&catID=8
    Scot Gardner, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Scot Gardner wrote:
    > Is _Gigli_ one of the worst movies ever made? Unfortunately, no.
    >
    > It's terrible, but it isn't dreadful.

    ....Well, gosh. THAT'S ungrounding. 0_0

    Gee--Maybe it really *was* a bunch of 18-24's beating one lame
    annoyed-with-celebrity-culture gag six miles into the ground sight
    unseen--and then doing Riverdances on its grave after mediocre reviews
    and a low box office from inscrutable mismarketing validated their
    tantrums and "proved" how bad it was--causing it to become the
    unresearched gag-bandwagon stuff of Jay Leno routines for the next six
    months...
    Ohh, WHAT has happened to all our cherished beliefs??

    Derek Janssen (who *already* had to go through this same overboard crap
    when "Roberto Benigni's 'Pinocchio'" came out, so don't even start)
    Derek Janssen, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Scot Gardner

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    >It's terrible, but it isn't dreadful. Therefore, it isn't bad enough to
    >become a cult classic, like _Plan 9 From Outer Space_ or _Attack of the
    >Killer Tomatoes_.

    "Killer Tomatoes" was SUPPOSED to be bad,,it was a parody of 60s-70s b-movies.
    Metlhd3138, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Scot Gardner

    jayembee Guest

    (Metlhd3138) wrote:

    >>It's terrible, but it isn't dreadful. Therefore, it isn't bad enough
    >>to become a cult classic, like _Plan 9 From Outer Space_ or
    >> _Attack of the Killer Tomatoes_.

    >"Killer Tomatoes" was SUPPOSED to be bad,,it was a parody
    >of 60s-70s b-movies.

    One of my favorite review comments was for AotKT in, I believe,
    CINEFANTASTIQUE, which went "When a movie deliberately sets out to be
    bad, can you really blame it if it succeeds?"

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 11, 2003
  5. jayembee wrote:

    >>>It's terrible, but it isn't dreadful. Therefore, it isn't bad enough
    >>>to become a cult classic, like _Plan 9 From Outer Space_ or
    >>>_Attack of the Killer Tomatoes_.

    >>"Killer Tomatoes" was SUPPOSED to be bad,,it was a parody
    >>of 60s-70s b-movies.

    > One of my favorite review comments was for AotKT in, I believe,
    > CINEFANTASTIQUE, which went "When a movie deliberately sets out to be
    > bad, can you really blame it if it succeeds?"

    Well, then you have to get into *degrees* of badness--
    For example, how would you differentiate, say, a movie that was trying
    to be serious and was hilarious, and a movie that was trying to be funny
    and crashed through the floor like a cheaply garage-made brick?

    (Besides, you can singlehandedly blame AotKT for the California
    Energy-Deregulation crisis--
    If it'd been good, State Sen. Steve Peace would still be acting today.)

    Derek Janssen (you'd think Californians would've remembered)
    Derek Janssen, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Plan 9 is awsome....

    Anonymous Joe, Nov 12, 2003
  7. Scot Gardner

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Scott, seriously, you've got to get over your Gili / Bennifer fixation.
    Mark Spatny, Nov 12, 2003
  8. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > Scott, seriously, you've got to get over your Gili / Bennifer

    fixation.

    Have you forgotten about _Jersey Girl_?

    How can I get over my Gigli / Benifer fixation when the dynamic duo
    still has a blockbuster movie in the can? (Well, shit can, to be more
    precise.)

    But, if _Jersey Girl_ is a big, fat, big-titted hit, Ben and Jen may
    make another movie together. Now that will be an exciting development.
    Scot Gardner, Nov 13, 2003
  9. Scot Gardner wrote:
    > "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Scott, seriously, you've got to get over your Gili / Bennifer

    > fixation.
    >
    > Have you forgotten about _Jersey Girl_?
    >
    > How can I get over my Gigli / Benifer fixation when the dynamic duo
    > still has a blockbuster movie in the can? (Well, shit can, to be more
    > precise.)

    So...we have this trendy and inexplication preoccupation with "wacky"
    we-hate-Benifer gags, and THEN we post "Gee, Gigli wasn't such a
    disaster...Why'd everyone think it was? 0_0??"

    (To quote the noted songwriter, I'm starting with the man in the mirror...)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Nov 13, 2003
  10. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Scot Gardner wrote:

    <<So...we have this trendy and inexplication preoccupation with "wacky"
    we-hate-Benifer gags, and THEN we post " Gee, Gigli wasn't such a
    disaster...Why'd everyone think it was? 0_0??">>

    And now, let's see if DVD is the saving grace for _Gigli_, the box
    office dud of the year. Will it sell well at its suggested retail price
    of $26.96? With a release date of December 9, 2003, _Gigli_ has already
    achieved a very impressive Amazon DVD Sales Rank of 1,277.
    (And everyone thought this DVD wouldn't sell!)

    Or, will it end up in the Wal-Mart $5.88 bargain bin right after
    Christmas? (Yesterday, I noticed that Best Buy also has a $5.88 DVD
    bargain bin.)

    Actually, it could go either way. This is a DVD newsgroup and we are
    watching DVD history in the making.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/104-3171173-5192731?v=glance&s=dvd
    Scot Gardner, Nov 13, 2003