    Check out the _Gigli_ cover art and the price (LIST: $26.96!):

    http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_item.asp?userid=00000159840721&item_id=551331

    Ben and Jen together -- what a great idea!
    Scot Gardner, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Scot Gardner

    Bullock Guest

    I thought that it was renamed to "That Stupid Ugly Condesending Bith and the
    other Moron" movie ? Am I wrong ?

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    Last summer's incredible blockbuster hit, _Gigli_, (Pronounced Gee-Lee),
    will be released on DVD December 9, 2003. This pre-breakup Benifer
    coupling was an outstanding box office smash, although _Jersey Girl_
    might prove to be even better if Miramax ever releases it.

    Bullock, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Scot Gardner

    Phil7101 Guest

    I love how it says:

    Video: [None]

    Audio: [None]

    So they're just releasing a blank disc? Sounds good!

    Phil7101, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Scot Gardner

    Chris Exner Guest

    >>> coupling was an outstanding box office smash, although _Jersey Girl_

    it was WHAT???? lies! the only smashing was the glass windows of the
    theatre as people trampled each other trying to get out...
    Chris Exner, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Scot Gardner

    Specialk Guest

    Chris Exner <> wrote:

    > it was WHAT???? lies! the only smashing was the glass windows of the
    > theatre as people trampled each other trying to get out...

    When I read the original, I gave the poster the benefit of the doubt
    and assumed he was writing with his tongue very firmly planted in his
    cheek.

    I'd pick it up from the Walmart bargain bin.
    Specialk, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Scot Gardner

    MrShadow1381 Guest

    >(Pronounced Gee-Lee)

    I can't wait for this disc!!!!!!!

    For me to poop on
    MrShadow1381, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Specialk wrote:

    >>it was WHAT???? lies! the only smashing was the glass windows of the
    >>theatre as people trampled each other trying to get out...

    > When I read the original, I gave the poster the benefit of the doubt
    > and assumed he was writing with his tongue very firmly planted in his
    > cheek.

    And really, let's be honest with ourselves for a moment:
    Okay, so we all hate Ben&Jen--Noted. Logged. Bought the t-shirt.
    Leaving that aside (yes, ASIDE)...just how bad IS the ninety minutes,
    anyway?--You seen it? How 'bout you, over there?

    Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
    cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
    gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
    found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
    bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
    power.

    Show "Gigli" and, say, "The Core" to a disinterested
    impartial/uninfluenced jury, and I venture to state that--through said
    hard work and effort--other films of the past two years can be ten TIMES
    more capable of badness, without the benefit of cheap mass-hysteria
    gag-bandwagons.

    ....Punish the crimes of the guilty, not the high-headline misdemeanors.

    Derek Janssen (a light for truth in these dark times)
    Derek Janssen, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Scot Gardner

    Eneskay Guest

    On 10/28/03 4:24 PM, in article bnmq1l$8r2$, "Derek
    Janssen" <> wrote:

    > ...Punish the crimes of the guilty, not the high-headline misdemeanors.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (a light for truth in these dark times)

    Amen, brother.

    Neal
    --
    "Is Graham Chapman really dead or is he just being difficult?" - Eric Idle
    Eneskay, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Scot Gardner

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    (snip)

    > Show "Gigli" and, say, "The Core" to a disinterested
    > impartial/uninfluenced jury, and I venture to state that--through said
    > hard work and effort--other films of the past two years can be ten TIMES
    > more capable of badness, without the benefit of cheap mass-hysteria
    > gag-bandwagons.
    >
    > ...Punish the crimes of the guilty, not the high-headline misdemeanors.

    I think this week's release of "The Hulk" rates as a worst film of the
    year contender.

    T.B.
    Thomas Bell, Oct 28, 2003
  10. Scot Gardner

    Wade365 Guest

    << I'd pick it up from the Walmart bargain bin. >>

    .... if there was something on your shoe you needed to scrape off, right?
    Wade365, Oct 29, 2003
  11. Scot Gardner

    Invid Fan Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
    > cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
    > gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
    > found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
    > bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
    > power.

    The video release of Battlefield: Earth is an edited version (the uncut
    is only for the converted, or some such). It probably only comes into
    full badness when seen up on the big screen, unable to escape. It's the
    only time I almost walked out of a free show :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Oct 29, 2003
  12. Invid Fan wrote:

    >>Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
    >>cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
    >>gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
    >>found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
    >>bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
    >>power.

    > The video release of Battlefield: Earth is an edited version (the uncut
    > is only for the converted, or some such). It probably only comes into
    > full badness when seen up on the big screen, unable to escape. It's the
    > only time I almost walked out of a free show :)

    Well, actually, it WAS the uncut version on the big screen (yeah, I was
    at the Marathon, too)--
    And I repeat: Yeah, started out promising, with the Joffrey-Ballet
    cavemen, but then it...just sorta turned into "Children of Dune". :/

    Derek Janssen ("Galaxina" was just too hard an act to follow)
    Derek Janssen, Oct 29, 2003
  13. Scot Gardner

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <bnnb44$nos$>, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    > Invid Fan wrote:
    > >
    > >>Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
    > >>cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
    > >>gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
    > >>found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
    > >>bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
    > >>power.

    > > The video release of Battlefield: Earth is an edited version (the uncut
    > > is only for the converted, or some such). It probably only comes into
    > > full badness when seen up on the big screen, unable to escape. It's the
    > > only time I almost walked out of a free show :)

    > Well, actually, it WAS the uncut version on the big screen (yeah, I was
    > at the Marathon, too)--

    I know it was uncut in theaters :) I went to a free preview before it
    opened. I didn't expect much, and it fulfilled that promise. Later,
    when watching Final Fantasy, I kept telling myself "I stayed through a
    free showing of B:E, I can stick out a paid viewing of this film..."

    (I think the memory of Battlefield: Earth is why I cut Titan: AE so
    much slack)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Oct 29, 2003
  14. Scot Gardner

    Eric R. Guest

    I6 (Phil7101) wrote in message

    > So they're just releasing a blank disc? Sounds good!

    There would probably be more of a market for it.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Oct 29, 2003
  15. Scot Gardner

    Eric R. Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote in message

    > Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"

    Hey man, I've seen "Space Mutiny". That one makes Gigli look like Citizen Kane.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Oct 29, 2003
  16. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message

    > Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
    > cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
    > gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
    > found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
    > bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
    > power.

    I think the reason it is considered a legend is becuase John Travolta stars
    in it. The movie is so horrible you wonder how the hell he would ever
    aggree to be in it. Possibly because he is a scientoligist and the script
    was
    written by his good friend L Ron Hubbard, the inventor of scientology.
    Joe Thousandaire, Oct 29, 2003
  17. Scot Gardner

    Wade365 Guest

    << John Travolta stars
    in it. The movie is so horrible you wonder how the hell he would ever
    aggree to be in it. >>

    If you pay attention to the plot (and I know, it's difficult to think about sex
    whilst they drill your teeth) one of the main messages is to get everything on
    tape and have as much dirt on others as you can so that you can get them to do
    your bidding - it's a basic tenant of Scientology.

    They "asked" him to do the film, probably having more than a few unsightly
    confessions of their own on tape... the film was made with Scientologist money,
    and they're just not the hands-off type.

    I read the first book way back when I was a kinder and didn't know of the
    poison inherent in the system, and I gotta say I remember enjoying lots of
    it... so I sat through the movie.

    The Aliens' scale in comparison to humans is about all I think they got right
    or did well with the material.
    Wade365, Oct 29, 2003
  18. Scot Gardner

    Jeeters Guest

    > I read the first book way back when I was a kinder and didn't know of the
    > poison inherent in the system, and I gotta say I remember enjoying lots of
    > it... so I sat through the movie.
    > The Aliens' scale in comparison to humans is about all I think they got

    right
    > or did well with the material.

    Yeah, I read the (*very* thick) book way back when it came out (very early
    80's) and remember liking it a lot. Classic sci-fi all the way. The movie
    didn't get too much the right at all. You could perhaps read the two
    paragraph summary from the dust jacket and say that sounds like the movie,
    too, but that's about as far as the similarities go.
    Personally, given the vast content of the book, the only way to make a
    'watchable' version of the story would be to make it a mini-series on the
    sci-fi channel sorta like Spielberg's (boring) "Taken". Of course to try
    and do that now it would be too late as the pathetic movie has ruined the
    name and reputation of the story for all time.
    Jeeters, Oct 30, 2003
  19. Jeeters wrote:

    > Yeah, I read the (*very* thick) book way back when it came out (very early
    > 80's) and remember liking it a lot. Classic sci-fi all the way. The movie
    > didn't get too much the right at all. You could perhaps read the two
    > paragraph summary from the dust jacket and say that sounds like the movie,
    > too, but that's about as far as the similarities go.
    > Personally, given the vast content of the book, the only way to make a
    > 'watchable' version of the story would be to make it a mini-series on the
    > sci-fi channel sorta like Spielberg's (boring) "Taken". Of course to try
    > and do that now it would be too late as the pathetic movie has ruined the
    > name and reputation of the story for all time.

    (<chuckle!>...Watch me bring this thread back on topic, folks!)

    Namely, because 90% of the "Worst Film in the History of Civilization!"
    hysteria at the time was half strategic, half bandwagon, as a way of 1)
    making sure that the dismal box office reached big headlines where execs
    could read it, and 2) ramming L. Ron's losses on their "media outreach"
    straight down their throat (ie. "Oh yeah?...'Popcorn' THIS!") without
    any dispute left to history--

    Rather than *actual* badness, which other films were capable of that
    year WITHOUT overblown artificial stimulus, or those film fans seeking
    easy social acceptance in threads without having the opportunity or
    necessary expenditure of effort to judge it for themselves...

    (Now, folks...*HOW* do you think I'm ever going to tie this back into a
    thread about Ben, Jen, and "Gigli"?--Any wild guesses?) ;)

    Derek Janssen (aw, c'mon, give it a shot!)
    Derek Janssen, Oct 30, 2003
  20. Scot Gardner

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Jeeters
    <> wrote:

    > > I read the first book way back when I was a kinder and didn't know of the
    > > poison inherent in the system, and I gotta say I remember enjoying lots of
    > > it... so I sat through the movie.
    > > The Aliens' scale in comparison to humans is about all I think they got

    > right
    > > or did well with the material.

    > Yeah, I read the (*very* thick) book way back when it came out (very early
    > 80's) and remember liking it a lot. Classic sci-fi all the way. The movie
    > didn't get too much the right at all. You could perhaps read the two
    > paragraph summary from the dust jacket and say that sounds like the movie,
    > too, but that's about as far as the similarities go.
    > Personally, given the vast content of the book, the only way to make a
    > 'watchable' version of the story would be to make it a mini-series on the
    > sci-fi channel sorta like Spielberg's (boring) "Taken". Of course to try
    > and do that now it would be too late as the pathetic movie has ruined the
    > name and reputation of the story for all time.

    My understanding (not having read the book when it came out) is that
    the film only tackled the first half: they planned on a sequel. No word
    if production has started yet :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Oct 30, 2003