    counters were all zero and reliability of the interface all showed fine, is
    there something different I have to do with the gbic slots ??

    thanks in advance Paul

    Paul Hardy, May 12, 2004

  2. In article <c7sjcc$1fo$>,
    Paul Hardy <> wrote:
    :I recently had a fibre link go faulty 50%packet loss on a ping, but the
    :counters were all zero and reliability of the interface all showed fine, is
    :there something different I have to do with the gbic slots ??

    This might sound odd -- but how were you testing with ping?
    What were you pinging on the remote end? Was it the remote router/switch?

    I happened to read something on Cisco's site within the last couple
    of days, that indicated that [at least on some kinds of devices],
    there is a default rate limit in place on the rate at which packets
    are allowed to be punted from the other routing paths to process
    switching. The default limit was, as I recall, one every half-second.
    The article indicated that a symptom of this is that every second
    ping will fail, so that if you are pinging from an IOS device
    towards the other device, you would see !.!.!. and so on.
    A mechanism was given in the article for changing the rate limit,
    if I remember correctly.

    This would only apply if it was a remote Cisco device that you
    were pinging, rather than (say) a remote server. [Though I
    should say that as the article was outside the topics I normally
    deal with, I did not read it as carefully as I might have; it is
    possible that the article might apply in cases where you were
    pinging -from- a Cisco router to another device, on the grounds
    that the returning icmp echo-reply packet would have to get process-
    switched.]
    --
    Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.

    Walter Roberson, May 12, 2004