    to answer the question myself in a few weeks time. I just wondered if
    anyone could give me an answer before implementation. (I will post my
    findings anyway).
    Pete Mainwaring, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Pete Mainwaring

    Chris Marva Guest

    Pete,

    Assume g0/1 is the uplink on the lead switch, and g0/2 is the stack. If
    g0/1 sees the root for a vlan at a path cost of 8, then
    all subsequent switches in the stack will see the root at a cost of 12. The
    only L2 hop you pick up is between g0/1 and g0/2 on
    the lead switch.
    The documentation does specify different topologies, depending on
    whether you set up for fast convergence or normal convergence. For fast
    convergence, all switches in the stack are connected together, and the stack
    runs at half duplex, and
    you don't pick up additional L2 hops.
    For normal convergence, they specify hooking up the lead switch g0/2 to
    g0/1 of the second switch, g0/2 of the second to
    g0/1 of the third, etc. These links will run at full duplex, but you pick up
    L2 hops at every switch.
    If you are using the fast convergence mechanisms, you have to stick with
    the first method. I guess the size of the stack matters,
    as I don't think you'd really want to hook up a shared bus if there are 7 or
    8 switches in the stack. Just my $.02, hope it helps,

    chris

    Chris Marva, Jul 11, 2003