    --
    Chris Green

    , Jan 22, 2011

  2. Peter Watson Guest

    On 22/01/2011 21:40, wrote:
    > I have just realised that I have two Siemens VOIP phone installations
    > that can use gigaset.net, therefore I should be able to talk from one
    > to the other.
    >
    > However I can't work out how one actually makes a call using
    > gigaset.net and their website tells me nothing useful at all.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how one actually makes a call using gigaset.net?

    Not tried it, but page 43 (actual page 46) of this PDF may help?

    http://gigaset.com/medias/sys_master/A31008-M1916-L101-1-7619_en_GBR.pdf

    The number to dial is obtained from the Settings|Info Services page on
    the Web GUI of the target phone base station.

    I assume that Gigaset also needs to be set to enabled on the
    Settings|Telephony|Connections tab of both phones :)

    Also note the the comment on page 40 (page 43 in the file) regarding not
    using the service for six weeks will disable the service.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter Watson, Jan 22, 2011

  3. Doc Rumack Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:40:29 +0000, wrote:

    >Can someone tell me how one actually makes a call using gigaset.net?

    According to the manual, you select gigaset.net which is line #9 on my
    A580IP. Then you need to search for the persons registered nickname,
    select it and press the call key. After that it is like a normal VOIP
    call. I've tried it once or twice and it works OK.

    Some people have reported poor audio quality on gigaset.net but I
    haven't used it enough to comment.

    Doc Rumack, Jan 23, 2011
  4. Guest

    Peter Watson <> wrote:
    > On 22/01/2011 21:40, wrote:
    > > I have just realised that I have two Siemens VOIP phone installations
    > > that can use gigaset.net, therefore I should be able to talk from one
    > > to the other.
    > >
    > > However I can't work out how one actually makes a call using
    > > gigaset.net and their website tells me nothing useful at all.
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me how one actually makes a call using gigaset.net?
    > >

    > Not tried it, but page 43 (actual page 46) of this PDF may help?
    >
    > http://gigaset.com/medias/sys_master/A31008-M1916-L101-1-7619_en_GBR.pdf
    >
    > The number to dial is obtained from the Settings|Info Services page on
    > the Web GUI of the target phone base station.
    >
    > I assume that Gigaset also needs to be set to enabled on the
    > Settings|Telephony|Connections tab of both phones :)
    >
    > Also note the the comment on page 40 (page 43 in the file) regarding not
    > using the service for six weeks will disable the service.

    Thanks, though this is basically the information I had already. I did
    eventually fathom out how to make a call, the issue was that it isn't
    made clear anywhere (well, to me anyway) where/how you find your
    gigaset number. It's all very well finding someone in the gigaset.net
    directory and calling them - but if you haven't put yourself into that
    directory you can't be found and called.

    Finding one's number is the difficult bit, and yet again I can't work
    out how to do that. The gigaset.net website is wholly useless on that
    front.

    There's no clue on the base station configuration either.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Jan 24, 2011
  5. Guest

    Doc Rumack <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:40:29 +0000, wrote:
    >
    > >Can someone tell me how one actually makes a call using gigaset.net?

    > According to the manual, you select gigaset.net which is line #9 on my
    > A580IP. Then you need to search for the persons registered nickname,
    > select it and press the call key. After that it is like a normal VOIP
    > call. I've tried it once or twice and it works OK.

    Yes, easy, once you have registered you number against a nickname in
    the gigaset.net directory. The problem is that I can't work out what
    my gigaset.net number is, nor how to put that number into the
    directory.

    > Some people have reported poor audio quality on gigaset.net but I
    > haven't used it enough to comment.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Jan 24, 2011
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > Doc Rumack <> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:40:29 +0000, wrote:
    > >
    > > >Can someone tell me how one actually makes a call using gigaset.net?

    > > According to the manual, you select gigaset.net which is line #9 on my
    > > A580IP. Then you need to search for the persons registered nickname,
    > > select it and press the call key. After that it is like a normal VOIP
    > > call. I've tried it once or twice and it works OK.
    > >

    > Yes, easy, once you have registered you number against a nickname in
    > the gigaset.net directory. The problem is that I can't work out what
    > my gigaset.net number is, nor how to put that number into the
    > directory.

    .... and I've eventually found it again, in the Settings->Info Services
    section of the base station web configuration there's:-

    For authentication, please use
    username:222222222222#9
    password:xxxxxxxx

    That username is the gigaset.net number to call.

    > > Some people have reported poor audio quality on gigaset.net but I
    > > haven't used it enough to comment.

    Seemed reasonably OK to us, via a decidedly poor bandwidth 3G (well,
    2G in reality) connection.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Jan 24, 2011
  7. Doc Rumack Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:43:49 +0000, wrote:

    >... and I've eventually found it again, in the Settings->Info Services
    >section of the base station web configuration there's:-

    It's not well thoughtout IMHO. It might be of use to us at some time
    in the future as we have a house in UK and one abroad, both with VOIP.
    So far we have been using a VOIP provider which gives free 'on
    network' calls.

    Gigaset.net isn't as easy for SWMBO, although I guess you could load
    it into the phonebook. Not tried though.

    --
    Email address not checked.
    Please reply to newsgroup.

    Doc Rumack, Jan 24, 2011
  8. Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:20:10 UTC, Doc Rumack
    <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:43:49 +0000, wrote:
    >
    > >... and I've eventually found it again, in the Settings->Info Services
    > >section of the base station web configuration there's:-

    > It's not well thoughtout IMHO. It might be of use to us at some time
    > in the future as we have a house in UK and one abroad, both with VOIP.
    > So far we have been using a VOIP provider which gives free 'on
    > network' calls.
    >
    > Gigaset.net isn't as easy for SWMBO, although I guess you could load
    > it into the phonebook. Not tried though.

    For a family of phones providing SIP they make it practically
    impossible to handle IP addresses as "phone numbers" - Especially
    where one needs a number as well as the IP. 123.123.123.123/123456 for
    example. I have an old unused ATA that could do *much* better.
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 24, 2011
  9. Guest

    Doc Rumack <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:43:49 +0000, wrote:
    >
    > >... and I've eventually found it again, in the Settings->Info Services
    > >section of the base station web configuration there's:-

    > It's not well thoughtout IMHO. It might be of use to us at some time
    > in the future as we have a house in UK and one abroad, both with VOIP.
    > So far we have been using a VOIP provider which gives free 'on
    > network' calls.

    I was hoping to set up 'proper' VOIP but, at the moment anyway, that's
    suffering from 'one way audio' whereas the gigaset.net connection
    works pretty well. The 'one way audio' is probably due to the
    internet connection at one end being through 3G.

    > Gigaset.net isn't as easy for SWMBO, although I guess you could load
    > it into the phonebook. Not tried though.

    Yes, just put the 222222222222#9 number there I think.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Jan 24, 2011
  10. Peter Watson Guest

    On 24/01/2011 13:10, wrote:
    > Peter Watson<> wrote:
    >> On 22/01/2011 21:40, wrote:
    >>> I have just realised that I have two Siemens VOIP phone installations
    >>> that can use gigaset.net, therefore I should be able to talk from one
    >>> to the other.
    >>>
    >>> However I can't work out how one actually makes a call using
    >>> gigaset.net and their website tells me nothing useful at all.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me how one actually makes a call using gigaset.net?
    >>>

    >> Not tried it, but page 43 (actual page 46) of this PDF may help?
    >>
    >> http://gigaset.com/medias/sys_master/A31008-M1916-L101-1-7619_en_GBR.pdf
    >>
    >> The number to dial is obtained from the Settings|Info Services page on
    >> the Web GUI of the target phone base station.
    >>
    >> I assume that Gigaset also needs to be set to enabled on the
    >> Settings|Telephony|Connections tab of both phones :)
    >>
    >> Also note the the comment on page 40 (page 43 in the file) regarding not
    >> using the service for six weeks will disable the service.
    >>

    > Thanks, though this is basically the information I had already. I did
    > eventually fathom out how to make a call, the issue was that it isn't
    > made clear anywhere (well, to me anyway) where/how you find your
    > gigaset number. It's all very well finding someone in the gigaset.net
    > directory and calling them - but if you haven't put yourself into that
    > directory you can't be found and called.
    >
    > Finding one's number is the difficult bit, and yet again I can't work
    > out how to do that. The gigaset.net website is wholly useless on that
    > front.
    >
    > There's no clue on the base station configuration either.

    Hi,

    As mentioned - The number of the phone is under Settings|Info Services
    on the phone base station.

    Cheers,

    Peter

    Peter Watson, Jan 24, 2011
  11. alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings,
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > Finding one's number is the difficult bit, and yet again I can't work
    > out how to do that. The gigaset.net website is wholly useless on that
    > front.

    How about a polite email to Siemens? You never know, they might just update
    their website based on consumer feedback. Bit of long shot for a
    multinational conglomerate, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:55:53 up 8 days, 3:42, 8 users, load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.27

    alexd, Jan 24, 2011
  12. trolleybus

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Guildford
    Arriving on the screen two years later but there might still be interest in this thread.

    As for finding your own number give this a try: Dial 11188#9
    It will display your number and nickname.

    Each Gigaset device seems to come with a number on gigaset.net - I was wondering if you can apply/obtain an addition number on that domain to add to a non Gigaset piece of kit? Clearly to use with a SIP phone which might require additional information such as a password.

    Any feedback would be welcomed.

    DCB

    trolleybus, Jan 22, 2013