Gigabyte system board, Realtek audio drivers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave, Dec 26, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I am looking for someone that has specific experience with
    installation of software audio drivers for a Realtek chip set on a new
    Gigabyte system board. I have Windows XP Home, SP2 installed.

    When I run the Realtek executable file for software installation, I
    get an installation error that indicates there was a failure to
    install the driver(s). When I open the Device Manager, the Audio
    Device on HD Audio Bus shows in the list of sound hardware, but it
    indicates there is no driver installed, but it also indicates that the
    device is also working properly. However, with a stereo headset
    connected to any of the HD audio outputs on the system board, there is
    NO sound when I play system sounds from the Control Panel.

    There is also a sound device listed in Device Manager from ATI (ATI
    Function Driver for HD Audio). All the drivers for this are shown as
    installed, and device is shown as working properly.

    Drivers for both devices are included on the installation disk which
    came with the system board and are listed as required to be installed.

    Any help would be appreciated. I have not contacted Gigabyte yet, but
    plan to do so if there is no one "out there" on this newsgroup who has
    had to deal with this problem before.

    Dave, Dec 26, 2007

  2. Dave

    chuckcar Guest

    Dave <> wrote in

    > I am looking for someone that has specific experience with
    > installation of software audio drivers for a Realtek chip set on a new
    > Gigabyte system board. I have Windows XP Home, SP2 installed.
    >
    > When I run the Realtek executable file for software installation, I
    > get an installation error that indicates there was a failure to
    > install the driver(s).

    First rule: before you do *anything* even installing the hardware, you
    read any readme files or manuals on the cd/in the package. Then you
    install the drivers *only* for the hardware you have. Then shut down the
    computer (*not* restart as this may cause problems) and install the
    hardware. This then will mean the drivers should be installed and
    working when windows loads after this.

    And the *exact* message was? did you get an illegal operation/invalid
    page fault message? This is the most important piece of information and
    you skimmed by it. Did you try removing *everything* sound related in
    device manager and rebooting?

    When I open the Device Manager, the Audio
    > Device on HD Audio Bus shows in the list of sound hardware,

    Is this a firewire/usb device or a card? The word bus in this context is
    *very* unusual and that sort of thing is often indicative of someone
    installing drivers for hardware that they don't have.

    but it
    > indicates there is no driver installed, but it also indicates that the
    > device is also working properly. However, with a stereo headset
    > connected to any of the HD audio outputs on the system board, there is
    > NO sound when I play system sounds from the Control Panel.

    That's expected in this case.

    > There is also a sound device listed in Device Manager from ATI (ATI
    > Function Driver for HD Audio). All the drivers for this are shown as
    > installed, and device is shown as working properly.

    And do you *have* such a card?

    > Drivers for both devices are included on the installation disk which
    > came with the system board and are listed as required to be installed.

    Did you try *not* installing the drivers and see what happens? maybe
    windows has drivers for it (very likely).

    > Any help would be appreciated. I have not contacted Gigabyte yet, but
    > plan to do so if there is no one "out there" on this newsgroup who has
    > had to deal with this problem before.

    Pretty normal sort of problem, so aside from it being some quirk
    associated with bad drivers that shouldn't be a problem

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 26, 2007

  3. Dave

    Diagoras Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for someone that has specific experience with
    > installation of software audio drivers for a Realtek chip set on a new
    > Gigabyte system board. I have Windows XP Home, SP2 installed.
    >
    > When I run the Realtek executable file for software installation, I
    > get an installation error that indicates there was a failure to
    > install the driver(s). When I open the Device Manager, the Audio
    > Device on HD Audio Bus shows in the list of sound hardware, but it
    > indicates there is no driver installed, but it also indicates that the
    > device is also working properly. However, with a stereo headset
    > connected to any of the HD audio outputs on the system board, there is
    > NO sound when I play system sounds from the Control Panel.

    I have the same problem with an ASUS mobo I bought a couple of months ago,
    also with a Realtek sound adapter. I installed XP/SP2, then I got the same
    error/failure to install the audio driver. I installed Xandros (Linux), and
    I had sound instantly, so the adapter works.
    It seems there is a problem with Realtek's XP driver. I haven't looked any
    further into it, because I had another fancy sound card I was itching to
    use, so I just disabled the Realtek in BIOS.
    You might want to check Realtek's site and download the latest driver, they
    might be aware of the problem and have a fix.

    Diagoras, Dec 27, 2007
  4. Dave

    meerkat Guest

    "Diagoras" <1@1.1> wrote in message

    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >>I am looking for someone that has specific experience with
    >> installation of software audio drivers for a Realtek chip set on a
    >> new
    >> Gigabyte system board. I have Windows XP Home, SP2 installed.
    >>
    >> When I run the Realtek executable file for software installation, I
    >> get an installation error that indicates there was a failure to
    >> install the driver(s). When I open the Device Manager, the Audio
    >> Device on HD Audio Bus shows in the list of sound hardware, but it
    >> indicates there is no driver installed, but it also indicates that
    >> the
    >> device is also working properly. However, with a stereo headset
    >> connected to any of the HD audio outputs on the system board, there
    >> is
    >> NO sound when I play system sounds from the Control Panel.
    >>

    > I have the same problem with an ASUS mobo I bought a couple of months
    > ago, also with a Realtek sound adapter. I installed XP/SP2, then I got
    > the same error/failure to install the audio driver. I installed
    > Xandros (Linux), and I had sound instantly, so the adapter works.
    > It seems there is a problem with Realtek's XP driver. I haven't looked
    > any further into it, because I had another fancy sound card I was
    > itching to use, so I just disabled the Realtek in BIOS.
    > You might want to check Realtek's site and download the latest driver,
    > they might be aware of the problem and have a fix.

    You need to know what sound chip your m/board uses.
    Check in the manual.
    Then go here to find suitable drivers.
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/

    meerkat, Dec 27, 2007
  5. Dave

    Guest

    On 26 Dez. 2007, 15:56, Dave <> wrote:
    > I am looking for someone that has specific experience with
    > installation of software audio drivers for a Realtek chip set on a new
    > Gigabyte system board. I have Windows XP Home, SP2 installed.

    I have the same problem with an Abit mainboard. Some googling led me
    to the conclusion that the realtek driver is not compatible with SP2.
    You must first install windows, then the driver and only then add sp2
    and other HD-related windows updates. According to some forum
    comments, this works then.

    , Jan 19, 2008