Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tony, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I upgraded my motherboard from an ECS K7S5A Pro to a Gigabyte GA 7N400
    Pro 2 board last week. Fun. After getting the BIOS calmed down (I
    thought), the machine would only shut off at the power switch; the
    little shut off button on the Windows XP screen didn't shut it off, it
    just restarted it. After posting questions to both Gigabyte and
    Microsoft, and formatting the machine because neither of them had
    answers (other than Microsoft's representative throwing his hands up
    and telling me to reformat and do a clean install of WindowsXP --
    stupidly I believed him). The machine STILL wouldn't shut down. After
    trying everything I went through Power Management in the BIOS and
    started disabling things. Guess what worked? "PowerModemOn", even
    though I don't have the modem on the board enabled.

    OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
    of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
    this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
    "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."

    Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
    I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
    Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
    there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.

    Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
    Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
    the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.

    Am I missing a setting in Device Manager or something? The IDE
    ATA/ATAPI Controller gives me a whole bunch of different possibilities
    as to how to set up the drives. What should they be set at? (Primary
    and secondary channels right now are set at "BIOS default," which is
    Multi-Word DMA2).

    These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
    to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
    ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
    hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.

    Anyone who can help me -- I'd really appreciate some input. Please!

    Thanks
    Herp
    Tony, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Tony

    RedBack Guest

    On 18 Jan 2004 17:50:38 -0800, (Tony) wrote :

    >I upgraded my motherboard from an ECS K7S5A Pro to a Gigabyte GA 7N400
    >Pro 2 board last week. Fun. After getting the BIOS calmed down (I
    >thought), the machine would only shut off at the power switch; the
    >little shut off button on the Windows XP screen didn't shut it off, it
    >just restarted it. After posting questions to both Gigabyte and
    >Microsoft, and formatting the machine because neither of them had
    >answers (other than Microsoft's representative throwing his hands up
    >and telling me to reformat and do a clean install of WindowsXP --
    >stupidly I believed him). The machine STILL wouldn't shut down. After
    >trying everything I went through Power Management in the BIOS and
    >started disabling things. Guess what worked? "PowerModemOn", even
    >though I don't have the modem on the board enabled.
    >
    >OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
    >of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
    >this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
    >"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."
    >
    >Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
    >I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
    >Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
    >there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.
    >
    >Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    >plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
    >Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
    >the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.
    >
    >Am I missing a setting in Device Manager or something? The IDE
    >ATA/ATAPI Controller gives me a whole bunch of different possibilities
    >as to how to set up the drives. What should they be set at? (Primary
    >and secondary channels right now are set at "BIOS default," which is
    >Multi-Word DMA2).
    >
    >These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
    >to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
    >ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
    >hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.
    >
    >Anyone who can help me -- I'd really appreciate some input. Please!
    >
    >Thanks
    >Herp

    I think you might be looking in the wrong place..first I would check
    to see if your Power supply and memory are OK before blaming the mobo
    Ive found cheap PS and memory are the cause of most problems with user
    upgrading their systems...Then I would check out the video card....
    keep it simple and don't tweak the bios unless you know exactly what
    you are doing..keep the default values until you know everything is
    working OK

    RedBack
    RedBack, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Tony

    derek / nul Guest

    On 18 Jan 2004 17:50:38 -0800, (Tony) wrote:

    >I upgraded my motherboard from an ECS K7S5A Pro to a Gigabyte GA 7N400
    >Pro 2 board last week.

    I assume this is the first motherboard swap you have done with XP?
    With 98 m/b swaps are easy, with XP only nightmares.

    > Fun. After getting the BIOS calmed down (I
    >thought), the machine would only shut off at the power switch; the
    >little shut off button on the Windows XP screen didn't shut it off, it
    >just restarted it.

    There is a registry entry for this, but ONLY if system | properties shows the
    computer as an ACPI computer.

    > After posting questions to both Gigabyte and
    >Microsoft, and formatting the machine because neither of them had
    >answers (other than Microsoft's representative throwing his hands up
    >and telling me to reformat and do a clean install of WindowsXP --
    >stupidly I believed him). The machine STILL wouldn't shut down. After
    >trying everything I went through Power Management in the BIOS and
    >started disabling things. Guess what worked? "PowerModemOn", even
    >though I don't have the modem on the board enabled.

    That 'may' not be the whole story.

    >OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
    >of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
    >this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
    >"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."
    >
    >Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
    >I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
    >Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
    >there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.
    >
    >Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    >plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
    >Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
    >the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.
    >
    >Am I missing a setting in Device Manager or something? The IDE
    >ATA/ATAPI Controller gives me a whole bunch of different possibilities
    >as to how to set up the drives. What should they be set at? (Primary
    >and secondary channels right now are set at "BIOS default," which is
    >Multi-Word DMA2).

    No, this is definitely wrong, they should se set for (checking mine) "dma if
    available"

    >These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
    >to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
    >ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
    >hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.

    It just sounds to me like XP has not installed correctly, or you have not
    installed the drivers from the motherboard cd.

    Derek
    derek / nul, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Tony

    Trent© Guest

    On 18 Jan 2004 17:50:38 -0800, (Tony) wrote:

    >I upgraded my motherboard from an ECS K7S5A Pro to a Gigabyte GA 7N400
    >Pro 2 board last week. Fun. After getting the BIOS calmed down (I
    >thought), the machine would only shut off at the power switch; the
    >little shut off button on the Windows XP screen didn't shut it off, it
    >just restarted it. After posting questions to both Gigabyte and
    >Microsoft, and formatting the machine because neither of them had
    >answers (other than Microsoft's representative throwing his hands up
    >and telling me to reformat and do a clean install of WindowsXP --
    >stupidly I believed him).

    In this particular case, he was correct. XP is reading all the data
    from the old board. XP is NOT like any of the preceding Windows. Its
    not that all forgiving.

    >The machine STILL wouldn't shut down. After
    >trying everything I went through Power Management in the BIOS and
    >started disabling things. Guess what worked? "PowerModemOn", even
    >though I don't have the modem on the board enabled.

    You need to check and see what type of computer it was recognized as
    by the XP install. Device Manager/Computer.

    Did you also check the power settings in Control Panel?

    Do a Google search on this...there's a few white papers on the
    subject.

    >OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
    >of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
    >this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
    >"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."
    >
    >Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
    >I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
    >Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
    >there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.

    Obviously, this has nothing to do with the motherboard. This is a
    software-specific problem.

    >Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    >plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
    >Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
    >the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.

    Its the SOFTWARE that doesn't see the CD...not the mainboard.

    >These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
    >to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
    >ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
    >hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.

    How many other XP machines have you changed mb's in? I use a lot of
    Gigs...never a problem.

    Make sure you run everything necessary from the install CD.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese!
    Trent©, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Tony

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Tony) wrote in news:4952fa57.0401181750.1fa310f2
    @posting.google.com:

    > OK, so I figured that was it, and tried to play a couple of the Medal
    > of Honor expansion packs, and Call of Duty from Activision, and I get
    > this message in an error screen entitled "Cannot locate the CD-ROM" :
    > "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."

    This sounds like either your CD/DVD drive is not compatible with the copy
    protection software used by these games, or you didn't install the games
    correctly.

    > Now I had just installed ALL of the above games from the CDs, and when
    > I pop them in I get the opening screens that say "Play, Install,
    > Single Player, Multi Player," etc. So it recognizes the CD is in
    > there. I click on "Play," and I get the error.

    Yup, it happens sometimes when you set stuff up wrong.

    > Interestingly enough, the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    > plays, but its expansion packs don't. Other games such as Mafia and
    > Diablo 2 play. It's not as though the machine doesn't see the CD, and
    > the disc contents show up if I look at the drive in My Computer.

    Not relavent in the least. The games do see the CDROM, but they don't
    recognize it as the disc required by their copy protection software

    > Am I missing a setting in Device Manager or something? The IDE
    > ATA/ATAPI Controller gives me a whole bunch of different possibilities
    > as to how to set up the drives. What should they be set at? (Primary
    > and secondary channels right now are set at "BIOS default," which is
    > Multi-Word DMA2).

    Unless this machine is archaic, it sounds like you didn't install the
    motherboard drivers, or set your BIOS up to allow only PIO data
    transfers. The channel with your hard drives should be using UltraDMA
    Mode 2, 4, 5 or 6 (depending if your drive is ATA33, ATA66, ATA100, or
    ATA133).

    > These Gigabyte boards get great writeups in Tom's Hardware, but I have
    > to tell you, I have never had the hassles with any motherboard I have
    > ever used that I have experienced with setting this thing up. I had
    > hoped that I would actually be able to use the machine this month.

    Never had a problem with a Gigabyte board like you are seeing. It most
    definitely is a software issue caused either by improper setup or you
    doing something like forgetting to install your motherboard's chipset
    drivers.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Tony

    AlanC

    Joined:
    May 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hi I have two GA-7N400 Pro mobo's with the same exact prblem. Both will play some games but they won't play the MOH expansion. Did you ever get it working if so how?
    AlanC, May 13, 2009