Gigabyte mice

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    They're crap. As some here might say.

    I have just been given two Gigabyte optical USB mice, GM-2C (blue and
    grey, quite a nice mouse) that have failed, one after 6 months of use.

    Sure, they are cheap, but 6 months?

    Failure is due to the cable flexing where it exits the strain relief on
    the mouse; some of the internal insulation becomes damaged, and the
    cable develops internal shorts. Funny thing is, although USB is limited
    to 500mA, several cm of the cable gets very hot, and the internal wiring
    fuses together. The cable is very thin and quite stiff - it seems to
    collapse where it leaves the strain relief. I doubt that the foil
    shielding helps the situation.

    Just a heads up really; I know USB is supposed to be idiot proof, but
    I've seen too many damaged USB ports to think that there is no risk
    involved with the failure of one of these mice. If you are using one of
    these, it might be a good idea to check it carefully. Especially if you
    are using a laptop.

    HTH
    -=rjh=-, Sep 8, 2005

  2. -=rjh=-

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:31:06 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >They're crap. As some here might say.
    >
    >I have just been given two Gigabyte optical USB mice, GM-2C (blue and
    >grey, quite a nice mouse) that have failed, one after 6 months of use.
    >
    >Sure, they are cheap, but 6 months?
    >
    >Failure is due to the cable flexing where it exits the strain relief on
    >the mouse; some of the internal insulation becomes damaged, and the
    >cable develops internal shorts. Funny thing is, although USB is limited
    >to 500mA, several cm of the cable gets very hot, and the internal wiring
    >fuses together. The cable is very thin and quite stiff - it seems to
    >collapse where it leaves the strain relief. I doubt that the foil
    >shielding helps the situation.
    >
    >Just a heads up really; I know USB is supposed to be idiot proof, but
    >I've seen too many damaged USB ports to think that there is no risk
    >involved with the failure of one of these mice. If you are using one of
    >these, it might be a good idea to check it carefully. Especially if you
    >are using a laptop.
    >
    >HTH

    I have logitech now, cheaper of a few, had a microsoft latest, until
    fluffy bed partner mistook the mouse cable for a real mouse tail,
    tried to hide the canine prints and get a freebie, salesman too quick
    :)

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 8, 2005

  3. -=rjh=-

    PseUDO Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > They're crap. As some here might say.
    >
    > I have just been given two Gigabyte optical USB mice, GM-2C (blue and
    > grey, quite a nice mouse) that have failed, one after 6 months of use.
    >
    > Sure, they are cheap, but 6 months?
    >
    > Failure is due to the cable flexing where it exits the strain relief on
    > the mouse; some of the internal insulation becomes damaged, and the
    > cable develops internal shorts. Funny thing is, although USB is limited
    > to 500mA, several cm of the cable gets very hot, and the internal wiring
    > fuses together. The cable is very thin and quite stiff - it seems to
    > collapse where it leaves the strain relief. I doubt that the foil
    > shielding helps the situation.
    >
    > Just a heads up really; I know USB is supposed to be idiot proof, but
    > I've seen too many damaged USB ports to think that there is no risk
    > involved with the failure of one of these mice. If you are using one of
    > these, it might be a good idea to check it carefully. Especially if you
    > are using a laptop.
    >
    > HTH

    Wireless is the way to go, no more cords, and the issues with lag for
    games is no more!, and they are also quite cheap to buy, my microsoft
    model goes for 6 months on 1 AA NimH battery. :)

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Sep 8, 2005
  4. -=rjh=-

    Richard Guest

    PseUDO wrote:

    > Wireless is the way to go, no more cords, and the issues with lag for
    > games is no more!, and they are also quite cheap to buy, my microsoft
    > model goes for 6 months on 1 AA NimH battery. :)

    So it would prob go a lot longer on a alkaline then since a nimh is dead on its
    own in 6 months anyway.
    Richard, Sep 8, 2005
  5. -=rjh=-

    PseUDO Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > PseUDO wrote:
    >
    >> Wireless is the way to go, no more cords, and the issues with lag for
    >> games is no more!, and they are also quite cheap to buy, my microsoft
    >> model goes for 6 months on 1 AA NimH battery. :)

    > So it would prob go a lot longer on a alkaline then since a nimh is dead
    > on its own in 6 months anyway.

    Rechargable NiMH's :) best place to buy them is on trademe :)

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Sep 9, 2005
  6. -=rjh=-

    Richard Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> PseUDO wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wireless is the way to go, no more cords, and the issues with lag for
    >>> games is no more!, and they are also quite cheap to buy, my microsoft
    >>> model goes for 6 months on 1 AA NimH battery. :)

    >> So it would prob go a lot longer on a alkaline then since a nimh is
    >> dead on its own in 6 months anyway.

    > Rechargable NiMH's :) best place to buy them is on trademe :)

    Yeah, but if you stick an energizer in there and it lasts a year, then its going
    to work out cheaper then buying a nimh for it
    Richard, Sep 9, 2005
  7. -=rjh=-

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:23:34 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >PseUDO wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> So it would prob go a lot longer on a alkaline then since a nimh is
    >>> dead on its own in 6 months anyway.

    >> Rechargable NiMH's :) best place to buy them is on trademe :)

    >Yeah, but if you stick an energizer in there and it lasts a year, then its going
    >to work out cheaper then buying a nimh for it

    Why is it the best place to buy them, surely if people are flooging
    them off with such vigour they are not that good?

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 9, 2005
  8. -=rjh=-

    PseUDO Guest

    Squirrel wrote:

    >>>Rechargable NiMH's :) best place to buy them is on trademe :)

    >>Yeah, but if you stick an energizer in there and it lasts a year, then its going
    >>to work out cheaper then buying a nimh for it

    > Why is it the best place to buy them, surely if people are flooging
    > them off with such vigour they are not that good?
    >
    > Squirrel

    Seem to be alright, i use them in my mouse/digital camera/2 cordless
    phones and home theatre remote control, the mouse lasts for ages, the
    digital camera goes pretty well, the remote control would get about 6
    weeks, before needing to be recharged (all for one-Kameleon) , the
    phones get about 2 weeks or so.

    The brand is "Vapextech" 2400 NiMH, made in China, of course, but these
    days what dont they make!.

    A good charger is also a must, i use a GP powerbank type, recharges 4
    NiMH's in about 35-40 mins.

    They are currently $17 for a pack of 4 of trademe at the moment, still
    works out cheaper than energizers in the long run, just the inital up
    front costs of batteries & charger, but it sure beats running down to
    the shop to pick up a new set of AA's, when you can recharge the set you
    have so quickly.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Sep 9, 2005
  9. -=rjh=-

    Richard Guest

    > Seem to be alright, i use them in my mouse/digital camera/2 cordless
    > phones and home theatre remote control, the mouse lasts for ages, the
    > digital camera goes pretty well, the remote control would get about 6
    > weeks, before needing to be recharged (all for one-Kameleon) , the
    > phones get about 2 weeks or so.

    Yeah, for high drain things that deplete batterys quickly they are great, but
    the self discharge rate is so high that its not really reasonable in low drain
    devices like normal remotes and clocks etc.
    Richard, Sep 9, 2005
  10. -=rjh=-

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:31:06 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Funny thing is, although USB is limited
    > to 500mA, several cm of the cable gets very hot, and the internal wiring
    > fuses together.

    0.5A is 1/20th of the max amperage that you can safely get from a regular
    mains socket.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
    perspective.
    Bling-Bling, Sep 10, 2005
  11. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:31:06 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >

    >>Funny thing is, although USB is limited
    >>to 500mA, several cm of the cable gets very hot, and the internal wiring
    >>fuses together.

    > 0.5A is 1/20th of the max amperage that you can safely get from a regular
    > mains socket.

    What? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

    10A*230V=2300W

    0.5*5.0V=2.5W
    -=rjh=-, Sep 10, 2005
  12. -=rjh=-

    Mercury Guest

    nah. he's suggesting plugging it in the mains.

    Mercury, Sep 10, 2005