Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by BigAl.NZ@gmail.com, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi Guys,

    Got a Gigabyte GA SINXP - 394 P4 Titan running WinXP SP2.

    It had been running fine for a long time with a 120gig SATA HDD, which
    I think uses the Silicon Image controller. The 120gig had been close to
    capacity when the computer stopped booting and was getting BSOD during
    windows load.

    Plugged the drive into another PC and it stated that the drive was not
    formatted. Managed to get a lot of data back though with a data
    recovery program. It also stated that there was I/O errors on a sector.

    Went out and brought a new 400gig SATA drive - plugged it in and loaded
    up WinXP again, was all looking ok, had loaded XP ok and was loading
    Nero, when again the drive crashed.

    We now plug in that 400Gig drive into another PC and it says 0 free
    bytes and file system raw.

    It would seem strange for a SATA controller to die, I am thinking maybe
    cable? But would appreciate any suggestions on this one.

    Cheers

    -Al

    , Jan 10, 2007

  2. Weird.. yes, if you have a spare SATA cable lying around swap that out.
    The other thing I would look at is power delivery to the drive. Are
    there any splitters, fan power inserts, or anything else between the
    PSU cable and the drive?

    Justin Brown - SYNACS, Jan 10, 2007

  3. Guest

    Have unplugged all extra devices.

    Additionally I have just discovered a large yellow exclamation mark in
    device manager next to the Sil Image SATA controller.

    Error Code 39.

    HTH

    -Al

    , Jan 10, 2007
  4. Mathew Good Guest

    On 10 Jan 2007 11:33:27 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi Guys,
    >
    >Got a Gigabyte GA SINXP - 394 P4 Titan running WinXP SP2.
    >
    >It had been running fine for a long time with a 120gig SATA HDD, which
    >I think uses the Silicon Image controller. The 120gig had been close to
    >capacity when the computer stopped booting and was getting BSOD during
    >windows load.
    >
    >Plugged the drive into another PC and it stated that the drive was not
    >formatted. Managed to get a lot of data back though with a data
    >recovery program. It also stated that there was I/O errors on a sector.
    >
    >Went out and brought a new 400gig SATA drive - plugged it in and loaded
    >up WinXP again, was all looking ok, had loaded XP ok and was loading
    >Nero, when again the drive crashed.
    >
    >We now plug in that 400Gig drive into another PC and it says 0 free
    >bytes and file system raw.
    >
    >It would seem strange for a SATA controller to die, I am thinking maybe
    >cable? But would appreciate any suggestions on this one.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >-Al

    Their is good support here for Gigabyte, my MoBo came via BDT, also Gigabyte has support on there
    Web site, but it can be a bit slow.

    If its a new board just get it replaced.

    Mathew Good, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Guest

    A bit more detal.

    A scan on the new 400gig sata shows 8 bad sectors.

    The Sil Image SCSI/Raid controller shows error 19 (bad registry entry?)
    but I am not too converned about this since this drive should just be
    using the non raid IDE SATA controller which should appear in device
    manager under:

    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

    Will keep testing....

    Cheers

    -Al

    Blue wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:21:59 -0800, Justin Brown - SYNACS wrote:
    >
    > > Weird.. yes, if you have a spare SATA cable lying around swap that out.
    > > The other thing I would look at is power delivery to the drive. Are
    > > there any splitters, fan power inserts, or anything else between the
    > > PSU cable and the drive?

    > While we on this line of thought, the power supply is not playing up?

    , Jan 11, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > A bit more detal.
    >
    > A scan on the new 400gig sata shows 8 bad sectors.

    Which sectors ?

    > The Sil Image SCSI/Raid controller shows error 19 (bad registry entry?)
    > but I am not too converned about this since this drive should just be
    > using the non raid IDE SATA controller which should appear in device
    > manager under:

    Hmmm

    Mark Robinson, Jan 11, 2007
  7. Blue Guest

    Blue, Jan 11, 2007
  8. Guest

    Looks like it was the PSU. Days before all this started to happen they
    had plugged ANOTHER device into the USB port. It took a few days before
    the bad sectors hit a important file and the PC stopped booting.

    -Al

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > A bit more detal.
    > >
    > > A scan on the new 400gig sata shows 8 bad sectors.

    > Which sectors ?
    >
    > > The Sil Image SCSI/Raid controller shows error 19 (bad registry entry?)
    > > but I am not too converned about this since this drive should just be
    > > using the non raid IDE SATA controller which should appear in device
    > > manager under:

    > Hmmm

    , Jan 13, 2007