    Suggestions welcome. Would prefer to use Cisco but open to other vendors as
    well.

    Thank you.
    Liz Eriksen, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Liz Eriksen

    Chris Thomas Guest

    In article <Xns9517C914EF78Celizabetheriksen2002@64.164.98.51>,
    says...
    > I am looking for a switch or switches to service an office of around 80
    > users. About 10 of these plus 6 servers will be on gigabit over copper. I
    > am looking for a suggested configuration and have a few questions.
    >
    > I thought about using a 16 - 24 port 10/100/1000 speed switch and uplinking
    > several 10/100 switches w/gigabit uplinks. Does this seem reasonable? It
    > seems that Cisco does not offer workgroup gigabit switches with that sort
    > of port density. Is this due to the limits of the backplane?
    >
    > Suggestions welcome. Would prefer to use Cisco but open to other vendors as
    > well.

    You could look into a 3750 stack - say a 24p 10/100/100 stacked with
    a couple of 48p 10/100.

    /Chris
    Chris Thomas, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Hi,

    Cisco does offer the hardware you're looking for in the following product
    ranges:

    Catalyst 2970 series for 24x 10/100/1000 copper ethernet (and fiber
    options).
    Catalyst 3750 series for 12-24-48x 10/100/1000 copper ethernet (and fiber
    options).
    Catalyst 2950 series for 12-48x 10/100 (various 1000 uplinks).

    If all you need is a couple gigabit and the rest 10/100, I would suggest you
    have a look at the 2950 series for the 10/100 and one 2970 to get the
    10/100/1000 ports. Change the 2970 to a 3750 if you need ip-routing.

    www.cisco.com/go/catalyst3750
    www.cisco.com/go/catalyst2970
    www.cisco.com/go/catalyst2950

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Jun 30, 2004
  4. In article <cbv252$781$1.nb.home.nl>,
    Erik Tamminga <> wrote:
    :Cisco does offer the hardware you're looking for in the following product
    :ranges:

    :Catalyst 2970 series for 24x 10/100/1000 copper ethernet (and fiber
    :eek:ptions).
    :Catalyst 3750 series for 12-24-48x 10/100/1000 copper ethernet (and fiber
    :eek:ptions).
    :Catalyst 2950 series for 12-48x 10/100 (various 1000 uplinks).

    That's misleading. On the 3750, if you want all the ports to be gig
    capable (whether via copper or fibre), your model restrictions are:

    Catalyst 3750G-24T : 24 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports
    Catalyst 3750G-24TS : 24 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports and 4 SFP uplinks
    Catalyst 3750G-12S : 12 SFP
    Catalyst 3750G-16TD : 16 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports and 1 10Gigabit Ethernet
    XENPAK

    Notice there is no 48 port 3750 with *any* copper gigabit (other than
    via SFP uplinks), and notice that the most you can get with fibre is 12
    ports.
    --
    Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
    Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!
    Walter Roberson, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Liz Eriksen

    peter Guest

    Erik
    Two weeks ago there was a discussion about IAS with PEAP on a 1200 series AP
    A certain JT got a howto article to fix this.
    I cannot reach this JT. Did you get the information ?

    Thanks in Advance

    Peter
    peter, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Hi Peter,

    No, I didn't receive information. He said he sent me the message twice, but
    I still didn't receive anything. I'm still looking forward to have a
    complete howto-document on this issue because there seem to be some hidden
    "features". I think I'll be able to set it up using already posted
    information and information readily available on CCO, but currently don't
    have the time and resources to test it.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Jul 8, 2004