    nightly. I expect that gigabit will make this process happen 100
    times faster than the 10/100 connection, is this correct?

    Thanks!
    Jeff McAhren, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Jeff McAhren

    why? Guest

    On 3 Dec 2004 13:18:02 -0800, Jeff McAhren wrote:

    >Can I install this gigabit network card:
    >
    >http://newspaperads.dfw.com/RopAds.aspx?adv=15646&ad=

    Oh fine, which card, it's a squished up broasheet with something like 45
    tiny pictures on it.

    >in two machines, then hook them together with a standard cat5
    >crossover cable? How would I tell these two machines to use this

    That won't give best speed.

    >network connection to communicate with each-other, rather than over
    >the existing LAN, which these machines are also hooked up to via intel
    >10/100 nics and a linksys router?

    Sounds complicated.

    The simple solution is, change to Gb cards on both, buy a Gb switch,
    plug PCs into the switch (for PC-PC Gb) and uplink switch to Linksys
    Router for Internet access. That's what I did.

    Don't get Netgear GA302T NICs, after 14 months the 2nd one I have now
    won't auto detect 1Gbps, there isn't a manual option and another of the
    same card doesn't do Gb after a power failure. Both work fine in 10/100
    and it isn't cables ot the Gb switch.

    >These machines copy several gigabytes of data between themselves
    >nightly. I expect that gigabit will make this process happen 100
    >times faster than the 10/100 connection, is this correct?

    Nope. Have you measured the speed you get already?

    Any speed 10/100/1000 is only an in theory max (or 20/200/2000 full
    duplex switched). Depending on OS, Disks etc it's not easy to get high
    fractional GB speeds. If you have 5 copying sessions maybe you will get
    a good speed, Using file shares on Windows you wont, FTP is better.

    Me
    why?, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Jeff McAhren

    Dodo Guest

    Connect the GbE NICs with a Cat6 crossover cable. Assign the addresses
    192.168.x.1/255.255.255.252 and 192.168.x.2/255.255.255.252, where x is
    different from the 10/100 network. The machines can now access each other
    over GbE using the respective GbE IP addresses. If you require name
    resolution, you can make appropriate entries in the hosts and/or lmhosts
    file.
    Dodo, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Jeff McAhren

    JM Guest