Gigabit ethernet fiber optic set in 100Mbit on 6509

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by fabio, May 8, 2007.

  1. fabio

    fabio Guest

    Hi everyboby,
    It's possible configure a fiber optic port in 100Mbits on 6509 to connect
    with another switch ( in esample a intel 510T that have a module 100FX fiber
    optic).

    The only command that I found is " speed nonegotiate ", but the state
    remaning DOWN....

    GigabitEthernet1/9 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
    Hardware is C6k 1000Mb 802.3, address is 0017.0e88.9c50 (bia
    0017.0e88.9c50)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is SX

    Thank you
    fabio, May 8, 2007

  2. Hi,

    fabio schrieb:
    > Hi everyboby,
    > It's possible configure a fiber optic port in 100Mbits on 6509 to connect
    > with another switch ( in esample a intel 510T that have a module 100FX fiber
    > optic).
    >
    > The only command that I found is " speed nonegotiate ", but the state
    > remaning DOWN....

    We had some kind of same problem here with a media converter.
    When you write there "no negotiate" then the port do configure mid or
    mid-x. So maybe you mut switch the 2 optical fibers.

    So long Alexander
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Alexander_Gr=FCmmer?=, May 8, 2007

  3. fabio

    Trendkill Guest

    On May 8, 4:14 am, "fabio" <faberlaser@NOSPAM_icqmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi everyboby,
    > It's possible configure a fiber optic port in 100Mbits on 6509 to connect
    > with another switch ( in esample a intel 510T that have a module 100FX fiber
    > optic).
    >
    > The only command that I found is " speed nonegotiate ", but the state
    > remaning DOWN....
    >
    > GigabitEthernet1/9 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
    > Hardware is C6k 1000Mb 802.3, address is 0017.0e88.9c50 (bia
    > 0017.0e88.9c50)
    > MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
    > reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    > Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    > Keepalive set (10 sec)
    > Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is SX
    >
    > Thank you

    Don't take this answer as 100% absolute, but I have never seen a
    configuration like that and I have worked on several hundred 6500s.
    There are 24 port 100FX blades out there that will do what you are
    desiring, but I do not think you can set a gig fiber port to 100 meg.
    Trendkill, May 8, 2007
  4. fabio

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>,
    Trendkill <> wrote:

    > On May 8, 4:14 am, "fabio" <faberlaser@NOSPAM_icqmail.com> wrote:
    > > Hi everyboby,
    > > It's possible configure a fiber optic port in 100Mbits on 6509 to connect
    > > with another switch ( in esample a intel 510T that have a module 100FX fiber
    > > optic).
    > >
    > > The only command that I found is " speed nonegotiate ", but the state
    > > remaning DOWN....
    > >
    > > GigabitEthernet1/9 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
    > > Hardware is C6k 1000Mb 802.3, address is 0017.0e88.9c50 (bia
    > > 0017.0e88.9c50)
    > > MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
    > > reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    > > Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    > > Keepalive set (10 sec)
    > > Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is SX
    > >
    > > Thank you

    > Don't take this answer as 100% absolute, but I have never seen a
    > configuration like that and I have worked on several hundred 6500s.
    > There are 24 port 100FX blades out there that will do what you are
    > desiring, but I do not think you can set a gig fiber port to 100 meg.

    That would be my expectation. There are some multispeed fibre ports out
    there but I haven't seen reference to them for the 6500. A quick look
    at
    <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_relevant_
    interfaces_and_modules.html> offers no comfort. The 100Mbps SFPs are a
    different product from the 1000Mbps ones and there are no 100Mbps GBICs.

    Sam
    Sam Wilson, May 8, 2007
  5. fabio

    fabio Guest