    flattened. Recharge battery and same message

    Any ideas??

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Squirrel wrote:
    > rang Toshiba
    > who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    > fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    > ON THIS HDD

    > Any ideas??

    Ring them back.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:01:55 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> rang Toshiba
    >> who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    >> fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    >> ON THIS HDD

    >> Any ideas??

    >Ring them back.

    It took me three calls to get someone who spoke enough english for me
    to get even a remote idea what to do. I suspect they gave me the
    wrong info. Have decided to drop it into the shop on my way out
    today, at least I wont be without something important if they send it
    away.

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > Toshiba Gigabeat Mp3 Player:
    >
    > Wanted to erase playlist, no obvious means to do this, rang Toshiba
    > who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    > fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    > ON THIS HDD
    >
    > Unable to turn machine off, error message remains until battery
    > flattened. Recharge battery and same message
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Squirrel

    Get your money back. Not a product of "acceptable quality" under
    the Consumer Guarantees Act nor one "of merchantable quality" and
    "reasonably fit for purpose" in terms of the Sale Of Goods Act 1908.
    Roger_Nickel, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 05:24:01 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote:

    >Toshiba Gigabeat Mp3 Player:
    >
    >Wanted to erase playlist, no obvious means to do this, rang Toshiba
    >who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    >fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    >ON THIS HDD
    >
    >Unable to turn machine off, error message remains until battery
    >flattened. Recharge battery and same message
    >
    >Any ideas??
    >
    >Squirrel

    Yes Read the #$%^&* Manual..
    XP, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:19:23 +1200, Roger_Nickel <>
    wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> Toshiba Gigabeat Mp3 Player:
    >>
    >> Wanted to erase playlist, no obvious means to do this, rang Toshiba
    >> who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    >> fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    >> ON THIS HDD
    >>
    >> Unable to turn machine off, error message remains until battery
    >> flattened. Recharge battery and same message
    >>
    >> Any ideas??
    >>
    >> Squirrel
    >>

    >Get your money back. Not a product of "acceptable quality" under
    >the Consumer Guarantees Act nor one "of merchantable quality" and
    >"reasonably fit for purpose" in terms of the Sale Of Goods Act 1908.

    Thanx for that, took it back expecting an argument, guy just opened a
    new one and replaced the faulty unit, surprised to say the least

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:02:57 +1200, XP
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 05:24:01 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Toshiba Gigabeat Mp3 Player:
    >>
    >>Wanted to erase playlist, no obvious means to do this, rang Toshiba
    >>who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    >>fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    >>ON THIS HDD
    >>
    >>Unable to turn machine off, error message remains until battery
    >>flattened. Recharge battery and same message
    >>
    >>Any ideas??
    >>
    >>Squirrel
    >>

    >Yes Read the #$%^&* Manual..

    It has two manuals, and I read both thankyou Mr Smart Ass

    Squirrel ;)
    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    Andrew Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 05:24:01 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote:
    >

    >>Toshiba Gigabeat Mp3 Player:
    >>
    >>Wanted to erase playlist, no obvious means to do this, rang Toshiba
    >>who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    >>fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    >>ON THIS HDD
    >>
    >>Unable to turn machine off, error message remains until battery
    >>flattened. Recharge battery and same message
    >>
    >>Any ideas??
    >>
    >>Squirrel
    >>

    > Yes Read the #$%^&* Manual..

    In theory the helpdesk is another form of the manual... it was wrong
    Andrew, Sep 6, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:49:20 +1200, Andrew
    <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 05:24:01 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Toshiba Gigabeat Mp3 Player:
    >>>
    >>>Wanted to erase playlist, no obvious means to do this, rang Toshiba
    >>>who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    >>>fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    >>>ON THIS HDD
    >>>
    >>>Unable to turn machine off, error message remains until battery
    >>>flattened. Recharge battery and same message
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas??
    >>>
    >>>Squirrel
    >>>

    >> Yes Read the #$%^&* Manual..
    >>

    >In theory the helpdesk is another form of the manual... it was wrong

    Took it back, they said what I suspected that the hard drive had
    crashed and gave me a new one. Now I am too paranoid to load it in
    case I make a mistake I dare not erase agin. Sweet FA online about it
    except promo and review, can see why I got it free now but would have
    preferred the F60 for several reasons, but mainly the headset had
    controls. Current headset hurts my ear, thats singular, it wont fit
    into the other one, but thats okay I use it when driving for work and
    need to have a free ear for traffic.

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:07:21 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    >>Yes Read the #$%^&* Manual..
    >>

    > It has two manuals, and I read both thankyou Mr Smart Ass

    You have been wogered.

    Was it good for you ? ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    #8102 +(5714)- [X]

    <glome> Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?!
    <content> glome stole the cookie from the cookie jar!
    <glome> Who me?!
    <content> Yes you!
    <glome> Couldn't be!
    <content> Then WHO?!!
    <glome> Woody stole the cookie from the cookie jar!
    *** glome has been kicked by DrWoody (**** you i didn't touch the
    motherfucking cookie, bitch)

    Note: All my comments are copyright 6/09/2005 11:11:32 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Sep 6, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 02:24:27 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:07:21 +1200, Squirrel wrote:
    >
    >>>Yes Read the #$%^&* Manual..
    >>>

    >> It has two manuals, and I read both thankyou Mr Smart Ass

    >You have been wogered.
    >
    >Was it good for you ? ;)

    mmm thought I felt the earth move, but might have been my bowels :)

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  12. On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:48:24 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 02:24:27 +1200, Brendan <>
    > wrote:

    >>> It has two manuals, and I read both thankyou Mr Smart Ass

    >>You have been wogered.
    >>
    >>Was it good for you ? ;)

    > mmm thought I felt the earth move, but might have been my bowels :)

    Thunderguts?

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... When sign makers go on strike, is anything written on their picket
    signs?
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 7, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:29:13 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:48:24 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote
    >in <news:>:
    >
    >> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 02:24:27 +1200, Brendan <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>You have been wogered.
    >>>
    >>>Was it good for you ? ;)

    >> mmm thought I felt the earth move, but might have been my bowels :)

    >Thunderguts?

    makes a change from Thunderthighs so I shall accept the tile
    gracefully lol

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 7, 2005
  14. Hi there,

    Squirrel wrote:
    > Toshiba Gigabeat Mp3 Player:
    >
    > Wanted to erase playlist, no obvious means to do this, rang Toshiba
    > who suggested I format the HDD. Did so. Reloaded one album, worked
    > fine, then out of the blue came up with error message NO SYSTEM FOUND
    > ON THIS HDD
    >
    > Unable to turn machine off, error message remains until battery
    > flattened. Recharge battery and same message

    It can be dicey to format flash/hard drives in embedded devices.
    If you format it with a file system it doesn't like (ie. fat16
    instead of fat32) it may not be able to write properly to the
    device, as the write routines may be written only to use one
    specific file system type.

    I had an MP3 player which I formatted, but it required fat16 fs.
    I used fat32 with 16-bit allocation table, and that was different
    enough to confuse the device. Since my linux distro did not come
    with fat16 formatting (only fat32+16-bit table) I could not format
    it to something it liked. Luckily I made a disk image of my partners
    identical mp3 player and overwrote my one with that to get it working
    again...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 7, 2005
  15. On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:46:52 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:29:13 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:48:24 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote
    >>in <news:>:

    >>> mmm thought I felt the earth move, but might have been my bowels :)

    >>Thunderguts?

    > makes a change from Thunderthighs so I shall accept the tile
    > gracefully lol
    >
    > Squirrel

    Heh heh ..... yeah, OK. Would you prefer underthithe?
    <pleathe pardon the lithp>

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... Sometimes we need to laugh at ourselves so the people who are laughing
    at us don't feel too embarrassed.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 7, 2005
  16. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:34:16 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:46:52 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote
    >in <news:>:
    >
    >> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:29:13 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Thunderguts?

    >> makes a change from Thunderthighs so I shall accept the tile
    >> gracefully lol
    >>
    >> Squirrel

    >Heh heh ..... yeah, OK. Would you prefer underthithe?
    ><pleathe pardon the lithp>

    Oh yes, and now I suppose you will call me a thespian :)

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 7, 2005
  17. On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:13:05 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:34:16 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:46:52 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote
    >>in <news:>:

    >>> makes a change from Thunderthighs so I shall accept the tile
    >>> gracefully lol
    >>>
    >>> Squirrel

    >>Heh heh ..... yeah, OK. Would you prefer underthithe?
    >><pleathe pardon the lithp>

    > Oh yes, and now I suppose you will call me a thespian :)

    ME??????
    Oh, Squizz - how COULD you think such a thing of me?
    I am mortally wounded! <don't you sometimes wish??>
    [and SHUDDUP in the peanut gallery!]

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... All the world's a stage; we just thesp about upon it...
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 7, 2005
  18. Squirrel

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:48:24 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    >>You have been wogered.
    >>
    >>Was it good for you ? ;)

    > mmm thought I felt the earth move, but might have been my bowels :)

    lol, yeah he is the ng's own laxative ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    #127148 +(3697)- [X]

    <Ich> I have passed the transitional stage of internet geekhood
    <Ich> I was cashiering at work today, and was punching in the code for
    plums, which is 4040.
    <Ich> and the 0 key doesn't work this well, so I punched it in wrong.
    <Ich> and the machine flashed up "Item Not Found: 404"
    <Ich> and I actually laughed out loud

    Note: All my comments are copyright 7/09/2005 12:52:38 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Sep 7, 2005
  19. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:44:10 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:13:05 +1200, Squirrel <> wrote
    >in <news:>:
    >
    >> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:34:16 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Heh heh ..... yeah, OK. Would you prefer underthithe?
    >>><pleathe pardon the lithp>

    >> Oh yes, and now I suppose you will call me a thespian :)

    >ME??????
    >Oh, Squizz - how COULD you think such a thing of me?
    >I am mortally wounded! <don't you sometimes wish??>
    >[and SHUDDUP in the peanut gallery!]

    go on, say it, dont leave me hanging, thats not fair my counsellor
    said so, say it damn you tell me what you were going to say " don's
    you sometimes wish?"

    I could give you a list a mile long, but bugger you tell me what you
    were going to say ;)

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 7, 2005
  20. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:58:58 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:48:24 +1200, Squirrel wrote:
    >
    >>>You have been wogered.
    >>>
    >>>Was it good for you ? ;)

    >> mmm thought I felt the earth move, but might have been my bowels :)

    >lol, yeah he is the ng's own laxative ;)

    but what type, bowel irritant or faecal softener :)

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Sep 7, 2005