    If this could be done for $20-$30 dollars I'd like to try it.

    Anyone have it printed on a large poster size print ?

    Photo was of old religious art work.

    hfs2, Oct 27, 2006

  2. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    found it
    http://haltadefinizione.deagostini.it/

    hfs2, Oct 27, 2006

  3. hfs2

    Scott W Guest

    hfs2 wrote:
    > I saw a link to a photo recorded with some fantastic mp count. Anyone
    > find a Kinkos and print it? I wonder what a poster size print would
    > look
    > like on great paper.
    >
    > If this could be done for $20-$30 dollars I'd like to try it.
    >
    > Anyone have it printed on a large poster size print ?
    >
    > Photo was of old religious art work.

    That image has 8.6 GP, figure a 300 ppi print and you are talking about
    663 sqr ft.
    The largest print I have had done was 30 x 60 inches or 12.5 sqr ft,
    and that cost $30. Even if you could keep the price down to the same
    dollars/sqr foot you are looking at over $1500. But a print that large
    will likely cost much more / sqr foot.

    Keep in mind that thd art work that was photographed was 35ft x 32ft
    and pretty detailed.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 27, 2006
  4. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    Did you use your companies plotter?
    I just went to kinkos and 11x17 is their max (seems pretty small)
    We have a continuous roll color printer at work. I think it's at least
    4 feet
    across. I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
    wallpaper
    maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have thought
    by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
    now there's a business idea (already done?).

    hfs2, Oct 27, 2006
  5. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    I take it 300 dpi is about it for color printing? Black and white
    doesn't look
    solid until 600.

    hfs2, Oct 27, 2006
  6. hfs2

    Scott W Guest

    hfs2 wrote:
    > Did you use your companies plotter?
    > I just went to kinkos and 11x17 is their max (seems pretty small)
    > We have a continuous roll color printer at work. I think it's at least
    > 4 feet
    > across. I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
    > wallpaper
    > maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have thought
    > by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
    > now there's a business idea (already done?).

    I order the prints via the Internet so did not see the printer. They
    use an led based printer that prints on photographic paper. They do
    larger sized inkjet prints but then the cost/sqr ft really goes up.
    There are places that will do wall paper print but at a pretty high
    cost. There are also places that have huge printer for billboards, but
    again at very high cost / print.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 27, 2006
  7. hfs2

    Frank ess Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > hfs2 wrote:
    >> Did you use your companies plotter?
    >> I just went to kinkos and 11x17 is their max (seems pretty small)
    >> We have a continuous roll color printer at work. I think it's at
    >> least 4 feet
    >> across. I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
    >> wallpaper
    >> maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have
    >> thought
    >> by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
    >> now there's a business idea (already done?).

    > I order the prints via the Internet so did not see the printer.
    > They
    > use an led based printer that prints on photographic paper. They do
    > larger sized inkjet prints but then the cost/sqr ft really goes up.
    > There are places that will do wall paper print but at a pretty high
    > cost. There are also places that have huge printer for billboards,
    > but again at very high cost / print.
    >
    > Scott

    Twenty years ago you could find wall-size ( 8 x 16 feet IIRC ) prints
    of forest glens, snowscapes, beachscapes, other stuff, at
    housepaint/wallpaper stores. Seems to me such technology must be
    available, possibly much improved. Somebody made those things, someone
    else must still be in that kind of business.

    I saw this place from the I-5 freeway:
    http://www.giantphoto.com/

    It's a start.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 27, 2006
  8. hfs2

    Scott W Guest

    Frank ess wrote:
    > Twenty years ago you could find wall-size ( 8 x 16 feet IIRC )

    prints
    > of forest glens, snowscapes, beachscapes, other stuff, at
    > housepaint/wallpaper stores. Seems to me such technology must be
    > available, possibly much improved. Somebody made those things, someone
    > else must still be in that kind of business.
    >
    > I saw this place from the I-5 freeway:
    > http://www.giantphoto.com/
    >
    > It's a start.

    Looks like they can go big but at a pretty high price.
    These people did a 20 x 30 for $10 and a 30 x 60 for $30
    http://www.elcocolor.com/poster_special.htm

    But they are limited to 30 x 60 for photographic prints, they do larger
    inkjet prints but the cost/ sqr ft goes way up.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 27, 2006
  9. hfs2

    Scott W Guest

    hfs2 wrote:
    > I take it 300 dpi is about it for color printing? Black and white
    > doesn't look
    > solid until 600.

    B/W will look good at 300 ppi as long as it is continues tone. People
    see the jaggies on 300 ppi laser prints and then believe that 300 ppi
    is not enough, but if the 300 ppi were continues tone you would not see
    the jaggies.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 27, 2006
  10. hfs2

    Richard H. Guest

    hfs2 wrote:
    > I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
    > wallpaper
    > maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have thought
    > by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
    > now there's a business idea (already done?).

    http://www.muralsyourway.com/ It's in the $1000's, but they can put out
    300dpi on a large scale.

    Cheers,
    Richard

    Richard H., Oct 27, 2006
  11. hfs2

    Scott W Guest

    Richard H. wrote:
    > hfs2 wrote:
    > > I was thinking more like a 8 x 10 foot print.. like NatGeo
    > > wallpaper
    > > maps. Looks like it'd be big bucks thou. Geez, I would have thought
    > > by now a 10 foot plotter would be "available". Custom wallpaper...
    > > now there's a business idea (already done?).

    > http://www.muralsyourway.com/ It's in the $1000's, but they can put out
    > 300dpi on a large scale.

    Gee, most of their samples look like the view out our windows.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 27, 2006